Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 03:53 PM

104 posts, read 401,441 times

Advertisements

Hi, My name Is "April" and we just moved here from a small town called HEMET in Southern California. (JULY 2007) We LOVE it HERE! Most people are so nice!

We were tired of high prices, attitudes, the schools, the teachers, and our kids were being picked on and harrased for being white. (I don't care what color you are, just don't be a punk!)

Moving here was a long process and we researched for 3 yrs.
We used a moving company and my husband took his brother and son as they drove both vehicles with both dogs, one of the cats, turtle and my oldest daughter. My youngest and I flew with our health challenged cat a few days later while meeting the guys at the airport ,my bro in law and son flew back home. (I have health challenges too)
We used Express Jet in Tulsa becuase it was barely over $100 per person, $50 for the cat and no layovers. It was an easy and scenic 3 hour drive to Ozark from there.

We chose to try the "James River Assembly" for church by searching their website and seeing what was obviously an awesome youth group. Our girls just love it! We thought it would be too big but man, do they have plenty for everyone to do and small groups to join to get to know other people and what a great Pastor!

We live in between the 160 and the 65 which I find to be the perfect location for getting around to everything like Nixa, Springfield and Branson. I don't miss a thing and can find everything we need out here.

The girls love their new schools and all their teachers, even getting better grades! We like how the school can send them to college for 2 years, FREE! (need 2.5 GPA / 95% attendance and good citizenship)
They made friends so easily and told me the kids cuss alot less, lol.

My husband does Tile, Wood and Laminate Flooring (perfectionist) and is rounding up work all around the area. He was licenced in CA but they don't have it here in Mo. and he had to purchase wkms comp.

We happen to be Raiders fans but please don't hold that against us, lol!

I would love to meet more ex cals, more raiders fans, and feel free to ask me more about transfering here from CA.
Blessings, April
MySpace.com - April - 39 - Female - From Hemet, CA to Ozark, MO, Missouri - www.myspace.com/aprilsruss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 04:35 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,634,449 times
hiya April! We moved out here from Hemet at the end of last year. Man O man what a big difference huh?!! Lovin' every minute of it let me tell yaz!! Great group of peeps in this here MO forum so I'm sure you will have a great time yackin' it up with everybody

Old 10-15-2007, 09:24 PM

Da Jammer, very cool, small world

Remeber Critter Care Plus that used to be called Coral Reef ? (pet shop)
Anyway, those new owners moved out her too. I lost track of them though
My realtor, Chritopher said he had someone else move out here from Hemet too but he couldn't disclose any info.

Do you do a lot of fishing or hunting out here? We have only fished for catfish in Lake Springfield. Hubby doen'st have anything to hunt with but we sure want a deer to put in the freezer. I wonder if I accidently hit one if I would be allowed to keep it for meat? lol

Old 10-16-2007, 08:39 AM

51 posts, read 225,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfaceminerals View Post
Hi, My name Is "April" and we just moved here from a small town called HEMET in Southern California. (JULY 2007) We LOVE it HERE! Most people are so nice!

We were tired of high prices, attitudes, the schools, the teachers, and our kids were being picked on and harrased for being white. (I don't care what color you are, just don't be a punk!)

Moving here was a long process and we researched for 3 yrs.
We used a moving company and my husband took his brother and son as they drove both vehicles with both dogs, one of the cats, turtle and my oldest daughter. My youngest and I flew with our health challenged cat a few days later while meeting the guys at the airport ,my bro in law and son flew back home. (I have health challenges too)
We used Express Jet in Tulsa becuase it was barely over $100 per person, $50 for the cat and no layovers. It was an easy and scenic 3 hour drive to Ozark from there.

We chose to try the "James River Assembly" for church by searching their website and seeing what was obviously an awesome youth group. Our girls just love it! We thought it would be too big but man, do they have plenty for everyone to do and small groups to join to get to know other people and what a great Pastor!

We live in between the 160 and the 65 which I find to be the perfect location for getting around to everything like Nixa, Springfield and Branson. I don't miss a thing and can find everything we need out here.

The girls love their new schools and all their teachers, even getting better grades! We like how the school can send them to college for 2 years, FREE! (need 2.5 GPA / 95% attendance and good citizenship)
They made friends so easily and told me the kids cuss alot less, lol.

My husband does Tile, Wood and Laminate Flooring (perfectionist) and is rounding up work all around the area. He was licenced in CA but they don't have it here in Mo. and he had to purchase wkms comp.

We happen to be Raiders fans but please don't hold that against us, lol!

I would love to meet more ex cals, more raiders fans, and feel free to ask me more about transfering here from CA.
Blessings, April
MySpace.com - April - 39 - Female - From Hemet, CA to Ozark, MO, Missouri - www.myspace.com/aprilsruss
Flooring - Tile, wood, and laminate. Yes, business should be good as there is much new construction in the Southwest Missouri area. Will be moving to Seven Pines subdivision of Saddlebrooke, Missouri in the future from SoCal. Irvine (Orange County) was fabulous the first 15 of the last 23 years, now its time to get back to basics; with improved quality-of-life. Southwest Missouri is like SoCal 25 years ago (colder winters notwithstanding.) Of course there is no utopia, but Southwest Missouri offers many positives for out-of-staters wanting to write a new chapter in the book of life. It's been a real trip so far. The adventure continues.

Last edited by Zoltani; 10-16-2007 at 08:42 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-16-2007, 11:16 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,654,796 times
Talking Welcome, April!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfaceminerals View Post

Blessings, April
Welcome, April! I visited your myspace site. You scored on that house, girlfriend! What a beautiful home you have! I can see by your myspace site that we'll have lots to talk about! If you haven't already been invited, I officially invite you to our Over the Fence Coffee Club (OTFCC) gathering on Wednesday morning in Branson! We can even carpool if you like...or just caravan from Lambert's. Since you go to James River AG, I'm sure you know where THAT is!

How long ago did you move here? It sounds like you're already getting verrry settled!

We moved here just over a year ago from Crestline, CA. Both of us were born in CA and never thought we'd leave but by the time we did, we could hardly get away fast enough. MO feels like home and we are so glad we're here!

My dh is a painting contractor and I am working on some plans to get a new business off the ground helping FSBO's advertise their homes for sale.

If you want to come to the OTFCC gathering, send me a Direct Message (DM) through this group or better yet, just respond here and I will DM you! That way, others will know you are planning to go. This will be our third gathering. The first one was in Branson, second in Springfield, and now the third is in Branson again. Next month, we'll be in Springfield again.

I know I speak for the others when I say that we look forward to getting to know you better!

Blessings!

MrsG

Old 10-16-2007, 04:24 PM

318 posts, read 727,165 times
Welcome to the Ozarks!!!! Glad to see you have enjoyed the change from CA.

I too am one of the CA transplants. We moved here August 2005. Now that I have passed the year mark of living here, when asked where are you from I say Strafford, Missouri. My family and I just love it here and can't ever imagine moving back.

As Mrs.G stated, come to the coffee meeting tomorrow. I know it might seem strange meeting people from online, but it is worth it. We all have a common ground.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:58 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,382,253 times
Talking Me too...me too...

I've been here longer but still just as much in love with the Ozarks as when we first crawled rumpled out of the moving van 13 years ago!

We moved from Sacramento but have lived all around No Cal...I know Hemet! My biggest adjustment was in the FOOD category...restaurants & grocery stores are different...but things have changed a lot for the better in the last 13 years. And as more of us move in, who knows...maybe there's hope for a Trader Joe's yet.

Anyway, a big welcome and would love to catch you in the morning if you've caught your breath...

Old 10-16-2007, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltani View Post
Flooring - Tile, wood, and laminate. Yes, business should be good as there is much new construction in the Southwest Missouri area. Will be moving to Seven Pines subdivision of Saddlebrooke, Missouri in the future from SoCal. Irvine (Orange County) was fabulous the first 15 of the last 23 years, now its time to get back to basics; with improved quality-of-life. Southwest Missouri is like SoCal 25 years ago (colder winters notwithstanding.) Of course there is no utopia, but Southwest Missouri offers many positives for out-of-staters wanting to write a new chapter in the book of life. It's been a real trip so far. The adventure continues.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Zoltani,

Good luck with your move and if you are still trying to sell your home in CA, hope it sells fast!

Blessings,
April

Old 10-16-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
Welcome, April! I visited your myspace site. You scored on that house, girlfriend! What a beautiful home you have! I can see by your myspace site that we'll have lots to talk about! If you haven't already been invited, I officially invite you to our Over the Fence Coffee Club (OTFCC) gathering on Wednesday morning in Branson! We can even carpool if you like...or just caravan from Lambert's. Since you go to James River AG, I'm sure you know where THAT is!

How long ago did you move here? It sounds like you're already getting verrry settled!

We moved here just over a year ago from Crestline, CA. Both of us were born in CA and never thought we'd leave but by the time we did, we could hardly get away fast enough. MO feels like home and we are so glad we're here!

My dh is a painting contractor and I am working on some plans to get a new business off the ground helping FSBO's advertise their homes for sale.

If you want to come to the OTFCC gathering, send me a Direct Message (DM) through this group or better yet, just respond here and I will DM you! That way, others will know you are planning to go. This will be our third gathering. The first one was in Branson, second in Springfield, and now the third is in Branson again. Next month, we'll be in Springfield again.

I know I speak for the others when I say that we look forward to getting to know you better!

Blessings!

MrsG
MrsG,
Thanks for the invite but I have to be here to meet the pest control guy. Funny story I'll add next time but I found out I am related to him from back in the 1750's! (I did write in a blog on my myspace, hmm, cut and paste, lol)

We just got here in July.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Blessings,
April

Old 10-16-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4inMO View Post
Welcome to the Ozarks!!!! Glad to see you have enjoyed the change from CA.

I too am one of the CA transplants. We moved here August 2005. Now that I have passed the year mark of living here, when asked where are you from I say Strafford, Missouri. My family and I just love it here and can't ever imagine moving back.

As Mrs.G stated, come to the coffee meeting tomorrow. I know it might seem strange meeting people from online, but it is worth it. We all have a common ground.
G4inMo,

Thanks for the Welcome & Invite, I might attend the next one in Springfield, feel free to remind me

Blessings,
April
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area