Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 05:40 AM

185 posts, read 403,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Funny you should mention Cashew Chicken. It was invented by an oriental restaurant owner on W.Sunshine a few years ago. It tasted good, took off like a rocket, and made the owner rich. If the restaurant is still there it serves the original recipe.
Cashew chicken has been around for more than just "a few years". I remember having it there in the 60s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2013, 06:55 AM

971 posts, read 1,444,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie7597 View Post
Cashew chicken has been around for more than just "a few years". I remember having it there in the 60s.
Speaking of Cashew chicken, Papolis between Reeds Spring and the Juction still serves a great cashew chicken and rice along with their house Greek choices. They are still on the old highway 1/4 mile off the new 160 bypass. Friday and Saturday nights recommend call ahead reservations however. IMHO

Old 06-07-2013, 07:45 AM

185 posts, read 403,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
I am a young college grad (22 years) and I took an offer from college to live in Washington State. For those of you contemplating a move to Springfield, I thought I would share my pros and cons of the area.

PROs-
+ Traffic doesn't really exist here.
+Apartments/housing are extremely cheap
+Groceries/utilities/gas are among the lowest in the country
+Cashew Chicken

CONs-

-Regardless of what you hear, Springfield isn't a "college town". It just isn't. For those of you who would like to argue...go to Mizzou during a homecoming game (or University of Arkansas for that matter) and then go to MSU's. No one really cares.

-Not a good business environment. Springfield has a few businesses: Bass Pro, Oreillys....and thats about it. You won't see Fortune 500 companies here and Springfield has a small impact on Missouri overall.

-Really, really boring. Springfield doesn't have much in the way for fun. The downtown area is a bit--underwhelming and it basically dead.

-Extremely conservative and usually is one of the towns that pick up on the latest research late. For example: Green energy (which most people don't believe in).

-Crime is growing pretty quickly.

My overall grade of Springfield:

Depends. If you are parents looking to escape the hustle and bustle of KC or STL and you are conservative? You will find Springfield to meet your every need and you will find a great house for a good price. For you: 8/10.

If you are someone aged 18-28 and liberal: 0/10

So it just kind of depends. For me,I am more of the second and there isn't any room for growth in a career in Springfield.
Some things never change

Old 06-11-2013, 07:48 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,549,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie7597 View Post
It was invented by David Leong in 1963, according to Wikipedia, which publishes only the truth
Cashew chicken - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

I washed dishes in Leong's Tea House back in the previous century when I was a young Ozarks Boy. Now that I am a good ole Ozarks Boy, cashew chicken is about all I eat when I take the wife to a Chinese restaurant. None is as good as the Leong version.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,383 times
Springfield will never ever amount to anything until the PEOPLE, realize that meth is killing it residents, causing crime to increase, violent crimes are increasing, and instead of putting tax dollars to rehabilitate and treat addiction, they lock our kids away for years. Build more jails and they will come!!!!!!!!
Then they come out with a whole new vocation. The simplest things like outlawing over the counter PHD or ephedrine would cut the number of labs significantly. WAKE UP SPRINGFIELD METH IS NOT A POOR PERSONS DRUG BUT USED BY ALL INCOMES, EDUCATION LEVEL, AGES, AND STARTING TO BE THE DRUG OF CHOICE FOR OUR SCHOOL CHILDREN> YES OUR SCHOOL CHILDREN. CLEAN HOUSE ELECT REPRESENTATION THAT WILL DEAL WITH THIS FACE ON- NOT LEAVE IT TO THE POLICE TO RESOLVE. IT IS ONE OF THE MOST DANGEROUS EPIDEMICS EVER TO BE DEALT WITH.
AND IT IS HERE, ACROSS THE STREET, ON THE CORNER, THE UPSTAIRS APT. THE DORMS, THE NEW OFF CAMPUS HOUSING, SOUTHERN HILLS, EMERALD PARK, NORTH SPRINGFIELD, SOUTH SPRINGFIELD, NIXA, OZARK, REPUBLIC, STRAFFORD, ETC AND OUR ENTERTAINMENT ESTABLISHMENTS DOWNTOWN AND ALL AROUND. OH I'LL JUST SMOKE IT. NOT FOR LONG. SOME HOW SOME WAY SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET YOU TO INJECT IT. SO HIGHLY ADDICTIVE, SO DEADLY, IT TRULEY IS A DARK DANGEROUS DEADLY DRUG AND ITS ALL OVER SPRINGFIELD. EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!

Old 12-01-2013, 10:58 AM

7,442 posts, read 6,959,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Unlike cities such as Chicago, St. Louis, Indianapolis....
Yes, the first question asked in these liberal, progressive democrat controlled cities is who sent you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area