Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2007, 11:17 AM

21 posts, read 75,379 times

Advertisements

I believe most people have heard of the serious water shortage that is occurring in Atlanta Ga. I hope the Springfield city leaders are looking at our future water needs. I recently read of what the projected growth for Green County is over the next 20 years (278,000 now to 500,000). Is there going to be a need for developing more water sources.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 09:42 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,029,964 times
On positive side, the water resources issue is getting more attention. On negative side, growth [IMHO] is going to out tap the resources we currently have - UNLESS conservation and reduction and recycling all come to the forefront, and in a serious manner, not just talked about in a feel-good way.

Take a look at lake levels across the country - Lake Mead, I think for example is down quite a bit from its 'average'. Snow pack in the West is also low. Yet, more and more peoples are moving to the area. I shake my head in amazed and curious wonder at the adaptability of humans to live just about any where on this special planet - yet,,, to put cities in deserts [ie: Las Vegas] and then pump all that water from aquifers, create lakes so that a river no longer reaches the bay... I dunno.

A state geologist friend years ago and I discussed this subject, as we were playing [dye tracing] in one of the famous losing streams of the Ozarks. As population grows, demands on the supplies exceed the resources, water will be an even more very precious commodity, where many more legal battles will be fought as to who 'owns' it [aka the Missouri River, for instance]. Thankfully, in many cities [Boston, for example] water usage has actually decreased - yet that is only a drop in the bucket... [sorry, bad pun there... ].

Big cities of MO gets her waters from rivers [St. Louis - where, lol, Aquafina bottles there award-winning water ] - even those that tap into aquifers also are suspect of pollution, which may not be quite as evident as readily to some. A cool site, for those interested, that shows the river watersheds: Missouri's Watersheds

Old 10-26-2007, 06:32 AM

21 posts, read 75,379 times
Thanks for the info.
You mentioned recycling as being contributory in the reduction of a potential water shortage, how does recycling conserve water?

Old 10-26-2007, 07:31 AM

Take a look at this info - such will explain much more better than my goofy ways could...
Recycled Water | Water Department
Water Recycling and Reuse | Region 9: Water | US EPA

For example, at home - when you shower or wash clothes, that water is for the most part still relatively clean; just a bit of dirt and quite a bit of soap products. Such is called 'grey water' - and that can be reused/recycled, instead of being sent directly to a septic system or city's treatment facility [many of which get overran during floods, so they then release truly dirty/polluted waters into rivers, lakes, etc. - but that is another subject... ]. So, a person could use their own grey water to water their lawn, for one example, instead of using what is then termed 'white water' - that straight from a well, etc. thereby conserving that material for potable/drinkable/cookable/etc needs.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:03 PM

116 posts, read 444,091 times
You know this is a funny topic and I always laugh when we talk of water shortage on a planet that is 3 quarters of water. I know we can turn salt water into drinking,cooking etc. I am no engineer or expert so this is just my take. I hear that yes we can do it but it is expensive and I have to ask myself how expensive can it really be I mean people spend $2.00 dollars on a 16 ounce bottle of water. We spend 3 dollars on a gallon of gas. It seems so silly to hear of a water shortage. I know it would be a task to get the salt water in the midwestern states but just think if you could get the states on the coasts, I mean California, Nevada Colorado states like that wouldnt be fighting over the same water sources leaving more for other states. Like I said I am far from an expert but with technology and the things we can do now a days If you said hey we are gonna tax an extra 10 dollars a year for this I would say go ahead cause I cant live without the water I need it. I mean I as well as others are being taxed billions of dollars so our brave men and women can put their lives in jeopardy but you cant give me water from the ocean. And I dont mean this in a cinical way but maybe there is just something I dont know or understand about getting our water from the ocean which isnt feasable, sometimes the easiest thing isnt that easy. I would really like for someone to educate me on this

Old 10-26-2007, 02:59 PM

Greetings from a fellow hockey nutter , here be what I understand at current technologies: its costly, it takes much energy, its costly, its slow, and its costly.

Might also check out that SD link I have above - they are actively pursuing desalination techniques, and discuss such.

A few refs for gooder and more in-depth info than what I can provide:
How the World Works: Globalization, Globalization Blogs - Salon.com
New Desalination Technology Taps Waste Heat From Power Plants

While keeping the following in mind... The Associated Press: Much of U.S. Could See a Water Shortage (broken link)

btw, I like your thinking...

Old 10-26-2007, 04:11 PM

116 posts, read 444,091 times
Thanks for the sites Shadow great info

Old 10-26-2007, 04:13 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,542,325 times
Interesting thread. Comments by ShadowCaver in post #2 are exactly what my youngest son and I were discussing last night. This son had lived in San Diego during and after the last 'big' fires plaguing the area and we were discussing builders and homes in 'unsafe locales. Also the lack of availability of water to these areas as well as to the desert communities of Las Vegas and other water scarce locations where humans have decided they needed to live.

Is it greed that governs the building of subdivisions in locations where water and other resources are lacking or extremely scarce? So many people refer to the section of this great country that is not on either coast as the 'fly over' states. Corporations, industries and developers should take another look these states. Resources, manpower. and diverse weather conditions are in abundance in many of these areas.

What would it take for a turn around? I, and others like me, must be part of the problem. For I have no immediate solution to this drastic plight of our dwindling resources. Here, in my area of mid Missouri, we experienced a drought for most of the summer. Many of my beloved trees, bushes, grasses, and other plants were affected and many died. could I have 'saved' any or all of them, had I 'watered' them each and every day? Perhaps...but that may have been a contributing factor to any future water shortage.

Our water comes from a deep well which services about 25 homes. I am conscious of the daily usage of water in my home. Sometimes, when brushing my teeth, as an example, I remind myself to turn the water off so as not to waste one precious drop.
Extreme behavior? Perhaps to some. But doesn't every little bit help? Think about it!

Old 10-26-2007, 06:38 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,620,292 times
My Way News - Much of U.S. Could See a Water Shortage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area