Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 11:12 PM

7,646 posts, read 18,041,581 times

Advertisements

Do residents of Springfield, MO have a southern accent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 11:17 PM

620 posts, read 1,220,987 times
To someone from Minnesota, yes. Springfield is a bigger city, and also influenced to a degree by the local university. That being said....its sorta similar to Tulsa. Some people have southern drawls, and some don't. From Springfield on south the accent is much thicker.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:28 PM

26,372 posts, read 46,199,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
As someone familiar with speech patterns of MO, I would call it a light southern accent, but it becomes more of a standard southern accent near Arkansas.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:02 AM

914 posts, read 2,187,621 times
For those born and raised in Springfield the accent is fairly neutral - not southern, but definitely not upper mid-west either. However, the cadence is southern. We speak at least a third more slowly than a native of, say, Minn. Probably half as many words per minute as a New Yorker. Aside from absolute speed, the places in which we pause, and the way we pause as we talk is more southern.

As noted above, this changes quickly as you go south. Springfield has a lot of transplants from Ark. and Oklahoma and you can hear it quite often around town. I have frequently been astounded at just how sharp the difference in accent is between Springfield and Harrison, Ark.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:58 PM

620 posts, read 1,220,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
For those born and raised in Springfield the accent is fairly neutral - not southern, but definitely not upper mid-west either. However, the cadence is southern. We speak at least a third more slowly than a native of, say, Minn. Probably half as many words per minute as a New Yorker. Aside from absolute speed, the places in which we pause, and the way we pause as we talk is more southern.

As noted above, this changes quickly as you go south. Springfield has a lot of transplants from Ark. and Oklahoma and you can hear it quite often around town. I have frequently been astounded at just how sharp the difference in accent is between Springfield and Harrison, Ark.
Exactly. Harrison is 100% southern. Its interesting how an hour drive changes an accent quite a bit. I think the accent slowly transitions to pure southern somewhere in between the two cities. Where is the question!?!?

Old 04-01-2013, 02:43 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,060,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
As someone familiar with speech patterns of MO, I would call it a light southern accent, but it becomes more of a standard southern accent near Arkansas.
Most of Missouri speaks with a South Midland dialect, not a light Southern accent...regardless, I would agree that accents in Springfield tend to lean more toward the southern side...I still would not call Springfield the south though. Linguistics maps place Springfield in the Southern dialect range. Where I'm at, in Dexter, this is the South.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:54 PM

367 posts, read 761,407 times
Language wise Springfield has a southern tint. I can identify an Arkansas accent and recent asked about some with a St. Louis accent because they pronounced their vowels different. Older people from smaller towns will have a traditional southern accent while the younger generation has a lighter version.

Gets become gits, youins, bye is bahhh and laughably most folks will tell an outsider they're the one with an accent. "Woor ya from ageen?" Not making fun of the locals just typing with phonetics.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:00 AM

186 posts, read 463,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
It depends on your reference point. I grew up in the deep South, so no.....I have a heavier accent than most people around here. If you are from the north or the West or East Coast, then yes, people will seem to have an accent here.

But, even in the south where I grew up, accents could change within a short distance.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:06 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,393,442 times
I use to travel up to the North East and many commented on my southern accent.I was surprised while in Kansas City a woman knew exactly what part of the state I was from

brushrunner

Old 04-05-2013, 04:07 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,548,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vols44 View Post
laughably most folks will tell an outsider they're the one with an accent. "Woor ya from ageen?"
This attitude is one of the many reasons I don't go out of my way to become friends with transplants.

Thanks to progress in communications and travel, as well as the influx of outsiders to our region, the accent is diminishing. Young people don't speak with as discernible an accent as we old-timers. My heavy, thick twang/drawl is the result of being around my maternal grandparents, true hillbillies in every way, daily during my formative years.

I work in retail in Pulaski County next door to my county. Due to the fort in Pulaski and the technological university here, we have a lot of transplants in both counties. When I hear someone with a non-Ozarkian accent (and the poster is ignorant if he/she believes only we Ozarkers have accents), I'll say, "You're not from around here, are you? Where is your home?" Usually, a nice conversation ensues.

I like my accent, and when transplants like Vols44 "laughably" mention it, I tend to unleash and wind up flaying them. Unless, of course, I'm at work; then, I smile and laugh along with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area