Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 09:07 AM

186 posts, read 465,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Beginnings View Post
Are there venomous snakes in Southern Missouri? If so, which ones? I just got to thinking with the caves and all that there could be timber rattlers or worse.
Yes, we have venomous snakes in MO....but odds are that you will never see one. We have rattlesnakes and copperheads (many people will tell you that we have cottonmouths, but really the water here is too cool for them, and people are really seeing regular old water snakes). I am an avid outdoorswoman, and I go caving and camping all over the state. I'm also a nurse. I have seen exactly three snakes the entire time I have been in MO. One was a copperhead, but he was a safe distance away from me. One was a green garden snake, and we leave those alone around here (they keep the pests down). Ditto for the third snake, which was a harmless (if somewhat frightening-looking) black snake. Snakes don't bother me, and you won't have a problem even while hiking as long as you use a stick to tap before you step over a log sight-unseen. Good tall hiking boots will also keep you from getting bitten.

And I see that someone mentioned the spiders. We have two venomous spiders in MO-the black widow and the brown recluse. I will be the first to admit that I have a phobia of spiders (weird, I know, since I'm an outdoorsy person, but I also have an irrational fear of cows, so make fun of me as you will). I will be the first to jump on my coffee table when I see a harmless wood spider cross my living room floor. I have also seen exactly two venomous spiders since I have lived here. One black widow, which was outside (and I tossed the shoes I found her in)....and one brown recluse (that died a quick death beneath a shoe) in my parents' basement when they moved.

Off and on, after moving in and out of the state numerous times, I have lived in MO a total of 20 years. That should tell you the likelihood of encountering any of the venomous creatures we have here. It's possible, but not likely. A good rule of thumb is to not have wood piles close to the house, and to keep the place sprayed on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 11:40 AM

620 posts, read 1,232,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pams73 View Post
Yes, we have venomous snakes in MO....but odds are that you will never see one. We have rattlesnakes and copperheads (many people will tell you that we have cottonmouths, but really the water here is too cool for them, and people are really seeing regular old water snakes). I am an avid outdoorswoman, and I go caving and camping all over the state. I'm also a nurse. I have seen exactly three snakes the entire time I have been in MO. One was a copperhead, but he was a safe distance away from me. One was a green garden snake, and we leave those alone around here (they keep the pests down). Ditto for the third snake, which was a harmless (if somewhat frightening-looking) black snake. Snakes don't bother me, and you won't have a problem even while hiking as long as you use a stick to tap before you step over a log sight-unseen. Good tall hiking boots will also keep you from getting bitten.

And I see that someone mentioned the spiders. We have two venomous spiders in MO-the black widow and the brown recluse. I will be the first to admit that I have a phobia of spiders (weird, I know, since I'm an outdoorsy person, but I also have an irrational fear of cows, so make fun of me as you will). I will be the first to jump on my coffee table when I see a harmless wood spider cross my living room floor. I have also seen exactly two venomous spiders since I have lived here. One black widow, which was outside (and I tossed the shoes I found her in)....and one brown recluse (that died a quick death beneath a shoe) in my parents' basement when they moved.

Off and on, after moving in and out of the state numerous times, I have lived in MO a total of 20 years. That should tell you the likelihood of encountering any of the venomous creatures we have here. It's possible, but not likely. A good rule of thumb is to not have wood piles close to the house, and to keep the place sprayed on a regular basis.
You have only seen three snakes in 20 years? Are you serious? That sounds a bit crazy to me. I see them all the time, I have lived in Southern Missouri my whole life. I see several every year. Anytime I usually go to the river/creek I will see one. You must go to different places than me.....lol. I know several people that have been bitten by venomous snakes and spiders. Just last week two different people I know in stone county were bitten by venomous snakes. I never really worry about it, but its not really honest to act like it never happens.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:54 PM

971 posts, read 1,452,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
You have only seen three snakes in 20 years? Are you serious? That sounds a bit crazy to me. I see them all the time, I have lived in Southern Missouri my whole life. I see several every year. Anytime I usually go to the river/creek I will see one. You must go to different places than me.....lol. I know several people that have been bitten by venomous snakes and spiders. Just last week two different people I know in stone county were bitten by venomous snakes. I never really worry about it, but its not really honest to act like it never happens.
It doesn't surprise me that Pam hasn't seen very many snakes. Some people watch for them and other people are looking at other views. I have lived in Stone county for over 75 years and haven't seen very many snakes. I have guided moon lit night float trips when I felt a snake slide up the back of my hand on the lowest part of the paddle, that will get your heart pumping. IMO I saw my first two snakes of the year yesterday on the road. One dead one a car hit and another one that disappeared into the ditch.

My dad and I would catch Black and King snakes when we were going to make a trip to Iowa to visit relatives. The farmers bought the snakes for their barns and corn cribs. Most often paid for our trip.

Last edited by Bluff_Dweller; 06-08-2013 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-08-2013, 04:56 PM

260 posts, read 586,886 times
Quote:
I will check out those sites. We are looking more for a rental house. I do not deal with craigslist. Too sketchy for me. I will post again once I have checked into these sites you posted. I am really leaning more towards Ozark, Nixa or Sparta for housing. I would like to visit Springfield, but I miss the country life. Lighter traffic is going to be refreshing from living 100 yards from the I-5 of CA! Has anyone dealt with care.com for searches on child care or doctors?
Also just a heads up down there the culture is a lot different than southern California. You're in Dixie down there. Southern MO has little in common with California.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:42 PM

770 posts, read 1,796,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
It doesn't surprise me that Pam hasn't seen very many snakes. Some people watch for them and other people are looking at other views. I have lived in Stone county for over 75 years and haven't seen very many snakes. I have guided moon lit night float trips when I felt a snake slide up the back of my hand on the lowest part of the paddle, that will get your heart pumping. IMO I saw my first two snakes of the year yesterday on the road. One dead one a car hit and another one that disappeared into the ditch.

My dad and I would catch Black and King snakes when we were going to make a trip to Iowa to visit relatives. The farmers bought the snakes for their barns and corn cribs. Most often paid for our trip.
You know that would get my heart pumping to. Thank god that SW Missouri doesn't have Alligators. I spent a night at a state park near Houston, TX a few years back and while during the daytime, I am not afraid of gators, at night, seeing two glowing red eyes (or even several) looking back at you in the dead of night is pretty creepy. At night, snakes would be the last thing to scare me! lol.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:37 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
Are there venomous snakes in Southern Missouri? If so, which ones? I just got to thinking with the caves and all that there could be timber rattlers or worse.
Copperheaded water rattlers are everywhere! Think twice about moving to Southern Missouri.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area