Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 06:45 PM

770 posts, read 1,797,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmink View Post
Not that it should matter, but what nationality are you?
I am white/non-hispanic born and raised right here in the U.S.A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 PM

I wonder if my difficultly in getting a part time job in the area is because the economy is still pretty bad here and competition for even jobs a fast food joints is high or is it, like some of my family here in the area have told me, is a result of the Good Ole Boy Network? If the latter is true, than that is sad. For one, a person shouldn't have to know someone (i.e. manager, owner) at a particular business just to get a job.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:07 AM

186 posts, read 466,015 times
I don't really think it has anything to do with the Good Old Boy network, especially if you're willing to do even fast food gigs. Maybe try some of the regular restaurants? I got hired on at one many moons ago (before I went to nursing school) right after walking in...didn't know a soul.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:04 PM

4 posts, read 5,193 times
My husband is black and got a job at mcdonalds in Branson within 3 weeks of searching. But i was interested in the nationality question... i am thinking of re uniting with him up there with my 3 bi racial children. that question raised some eyebrows for me. will i have an issue? will my children have an issue in school?

Old 06-23-2013, 02:29 PM

174 posts, read 503,265 times
The types of jobs you are looking for typically want open availability, I'm sorry to say. Factories are a better place since it is shift work.

I've worked in supermarkets, there is no such thing as a set "shift." There is "third shift" but it is relative. They might ask you to work days sometimes. I actually like it since they will be flexible once they hire you and somebody will always be there to fill in if need be but when applying FYI never put that you can't work a certain period. They don't like to hire people like that.

Just put open availability on your app and negotiate when you get there, they will give you an interview I'm sure. Generally that's how it works. You actually have to make yourself available to work any time, but in practice they will be flexible for the most part.

The point is the less demands you make about hours and availability, the more likely they are to hire you. Once you get hired if you prove you are a good worker they will negotiate. End of story.

Still factories are a better bet if you have a specific time you can work. Or go to a temp agency and specifically request something third shift.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:51 PM

207 posts, read 432,452 times
Newbe, I think Teletech on Primrose in Springfield might be a good option for you. They are always hiring new people. It's a call center and I know a couple people who work there an love it. They offer flexible hours to work around your class schedule, as many employees there will be students like you.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:14 PM

207 posts, read 432,452 times
There is a department at Teletech that does customer service for USAA, having a military background will give you an advantage.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC Native View Post
Newbe, I think Teletech on Primrose in Springfield might be a good option for you. They are always hiring new people. It's a call center and I know a couple people who work there an love it. They offer flexible hours to work around your class schedule, as many employees there will be students like you.
Thank you! I will check it out.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:30 PM

13 posts, read 9,057 times
You need to think out of the fast food box your trapped in and stuck on. Who cares about fast food?? Like the one reader said get on the careersource, look for posted jobs and post your resume up. Also go the career center in Springfield and talk to the vet rep there. Your way to narrow minded. Get out of your fast food hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area