Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 08:12 PM

770 posts, read 1,788,729 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for part-time work since last summer when I started attending OTC and haven't had any luck. I have put in applications for part-time work for virtually all of the fast food joints here in Mt. Vernon, Monett, and Aurora, while applying to about half of the ones in Springfield. I have also applied to other businesses such as Home Depot, Wal-Mart, and Price Cutter. I have lost count of how many applications I have put in the past month alone.

I am a veteran and have a good work history and no criminal history. So why would I be having such a hard time getting part evening work in this area? Are so many people still out of work in the area that competition for work even at places like McDonald's is stiff?? I never had this much trouble in any area that I have lived in since I started going to school after my military term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 09:52 AM

186 posts, read 463,995 times
Are you getting any calls at all? Depending on your idea of "evenings", I know Mercy Hospital is hiring a bunch of PCA's (patient care associates) right now.....the pay sucks ( I think it's something a little over $8 an hour)...but hey, it's a job. What are you going to school for? That might help a little in making suggestions.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pams73 View Post
Are you getting any calls at all? Depending on your idea of "evenings", I know Mercy Hospital is hiring a bunch of PCA's (patient care associates) right now.....the pay sucks ( I think it's something a little over $8 an hour)...but hey, it's a job. What are you going to school for? That might help a little in making suggestions.
No. I haven't had any calls. I would think that with my background, getting a fast food job wouldn't be such a hassle, even in this area. With summer school starting next Monday, I put my availability from 6pm to 1am for all of the fast food joints and 6pm to overnight for places like Home Depot and Wal-Mart. As for the job you mentioned at Mercy, $8 an hour would be great for a part time job while I finish my school (AA transfer degree); if I could get the job.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:14 PM

367 posts, read 761,937 times
Search for Missouri career source. register, fill out the online forms and look on the website for show-me heroes jobs. With the right 4-1-1 anybody can land a 20 hour per week gig.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:08 AM

23 posts, read 45,612 times
have you tried any of the call centers in town?

a lot of them will work with school schedules and i think a couple of them are actually actively recruiting vets.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malevolentkitty View Post
have you tried any of the call centers in town?

a lot of them will work with school schedules and i think a couple of them are actually actively recruiting vets.
What types of call centers? Do you mean like T-Mobile and At&t? Anyway, I am willing to work anywhere in the area part-time while I finish my degree. Call centers are something that I would most definitely be open to; I am just surprised at how difficult it is in this area to get even fast food jobs, even as someone who has a good work background and veteran status.

Also, SW Missouri is the only area that I have lived in in this country where I have seen multiple fast food restaurants permanently closing (i.e. KFC, and Mazzio's Pizza in Carthage, KFC in Aurora, Burger King in Republic, and multiple KFC restaurants, Popeyes, Ramona's Macaroni Grill, and all 3 Taco Bueno's in the Springfield area). The only fast food joint that I have seen doing well in SW MO. is McDonalds. Again, what is up with the job market in this area?

Old 06-02-2013, 03:17 AM

23 posts, read 45,612 times
I have never had an issue finding a job here... of course I haven't tried to work in fast food :/

Old 06-02-2013, 06:24 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,024,582 times
I'm wondering if perhaps you are applying for jobs that you are over-qualified for, and that is why you are not getting any calls?

I don't know how anyone could even notice any fast food places closing in the Springfield area because there is such a glut of them. Way too much fast food, and not enough "nicer" sit-down restaurants IMO (maybe because there are so many college students?). Speaking of KFC - google "KFC closing" and you will find that they are closing many KFCs all over the nation. I couldn't find an exact number though.

Good luck to you! It's so hard to find a job sometimes. I wonder if any of the local veteran's groups might be able to offer some assistance? Sometimes one good recommendation/referral is all you need.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I'm wondering if perhaps you are applying for jobs that you are over-qualified for, and that is why you are not getting any calls?

I don't know how anyone could even notice any fast food places closing in the Springfield area because there is such a glut of them. Way too much fast food, and not enough "nicer" sit-down restaurants IMO (maybe because there are so many college students?). Speaking of KFC - google "KFC closing" and you will find that they are closing many KFCs all over the nation. I couldn't find an exact number though.

Good luck to you! It's so hard to find a job sometimes. I wonder if any of the local veteran's groups might be able to offer some assistance? Sometimes one good recommendation/referral is all you need.
Well it's hard for me to believe that I would be over qualified for a fast food, wal-mart, or home depot. In fact, McDonalds, Home Depot claim that they are always looking for veterans to fill positions. Outside of my military experience and working at Whataburger in Texas for 5 months last year, I don't have anythhing like a degree or an executive position on my resume.

its like a few of my friends have told me, i am just going to have to keep re-applying to all of these jobs and bugging the employers in general until i get a job.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:49 AM

65 posts, read 203,254 times
Not that it should matter, but what nationality are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area