U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:39 AM

104 posts, read 358,009 times

Advertisements

Money is tight but we want to get some deer in the freezer!

Hubby was invited twice for doe season, 1st invite he can borrow a riffle and second is with bosses son but no riffle to use. HUbby has NO GEAR YET.

He asked me to look for best pricing and for used gear for sale online the best I could while he is at work.

Looking for: Camo, Carbon suit, Scent Lock, Thinsulate, Scent Eliminating Storage, Riffle and NEW Boots

Thanks for any help and hints
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 10:28 AM

471 posts, read 1,138,302 times
Money is tight?
NIX the camo, scent lock, carbon suit, scent storage. These things are nice to have if you are bowhunting and getting extreme close to game is needed but is not needed for rifle hunting especialy for does. Just always hunt the wind. Call around the pawn shops for rifle. After the regular gun season is over alot of people will be selling there guns for christmas money. If you want a cheap new rifle, and H&R handi-rifle is hard to beat for the price. They are a brake over, single shot rifle that comes in just about any caliber. and you buy differnt barrles for the same gun to have differnt calibers or a shotgun. They usally run under $200.00 . Wal-mart has brama hunting boots for under 30.00 bucks. They work just fine. I have had a pair for years.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:11 AM

4,679 posts, read 10,636,276 times
There used to be a used Army-type surplus store in S'field I would go to, would get my caving boots, fatigues, and polypro there when in the area. Might check for such - good stuff at times, and prices were reasonable. And as mogazid suggested, those extras, they are extras - not basic requirements, such as knowledge, skill, aptitude, attitude, and LUCK! Recommend practice shooting on a range, to get feel for the 'new' gun, esp if not shot in a while. Good luck

Old 11-16-2007, 11:53 AM

471 posts, read 1,138,302 times
Yea, I thought of mentioning Surplus City on west Sunshine in springfield, but the last time I was in there (3 or 4 years ago) the prices were outrageous! Maybe its change since then. Worth checking into. Its hard to beat Army fatigues. They will outlast that junk from bass pro. Surplus City is on the south side of sunshine about a 1/2 mile east of the west bypass intersection.
Good luck.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:46 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,551,912 times
Depending on how tight the budget is, don't worry too much about camo. Deer are colorblind and most camo patterns are designed to appeal to hunters more than anything else. Camo does help to break up your outline, which is good, but it's not an absolute necessity.

Check the Newsleader for used rifles. You might also consider running an ad yourself, looking for a rifle.

As others have said, forget Scent Lok and the storage elimination container this time around. Both are nice, and I use them, but they're going to be quite expensive for a newbie. You'll easily spend $200+ on the Scent Lok suit alone, if you do it right. For that money, you could buy a lot of beef!

This would be my short list of essentials:

Insulated clothing (doesn't have to be camo)
Long underwear (NOT cotton)
GOOD pair of socks (NOT cotton)
Good pair of insulated boots
Blaze orange vest and hat (stocking hat would be my choice)
Good hunting knife (can probably borrow one from someone in the field)
Rifle

Old 11-16-2007, 03:46 PM

babyface - thing about camo - don't forget that blaze orange is not only mandatory via state law, its also very safe, and will cover up the underlaying camo pattern where its worn. Some camo incorporates orange in it, if interested. Good list 8 SNAKE... polypropylene is great stuff, btw.

Old 11-16-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Thanks Everyone :)

Thank you all for your helpful advice.

Hubby just called from a pawn shop and I read off what's here over the phone to him.
Looks like he's got his eye on something there and talking himself into getting a higher end one than he was thinking before but almost half the price if it was new.

Guess I will see when he gets home....

Thanks again you guys

Old 11-17-2007, 10:13 AM

Well, He didn't come home with the Rouger, (sp?) he would have had to wait till the 23rd till they would have let him purchase it since we are new from out of state. He came home and checked online and saw what a great deal it was, not sure if he's going back to get it.

He did come home with some sale items though from Bass. Got good boots (1000 grm) and orange 2 in one rain proof jacket , both warm and 1/2 price!

Well, at least I'm off the hook for a Christmas presant for him! LOL!

Old 11-17-2007, 10:22 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,551,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfaceminerals View Post
Well, He didn't come home with the Rouger, (sp?) he would have had to wait till the 23rd till they would have let him purchase it since we are new from out of state. He came home and checked online and saw what a great deal it was, not sure if he's going back to get it.

He did come home with some sale items though from Bass. Got good boots (1000 grm) and orange 2 in one rain proof jacket , both warm and 1/2 price!

Well, at least I'm off the hook for a Christmas presant for him! LOL!
Glad to see that your husband is getting some good deals. Whether he ends up buying or borrowing a rifle, please tell him to make sure he spends some time shooting it BEFORE he goes out in the woods. Not doing so is reckless, unethical and just plain stupid. Sorry to sound so harsh, but it's the truth.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:33 AM

Well, just a thought, but could get the Ruger at that time, and then use it for next season.

Sounds like yas are moving forward, together, and making best of it all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area