U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 04:00 PM

794 posts, read 1,493,653 times

Advertisements

Opening some old trunks and reviewing the contents the other night got me to thinking about people and businesses that once were an important part of life here in Springfield - but that are now long gone. Somehow does not seem that so long ago we...

Shopped at
Turners and Rubensteins on Campbell St.
Heer's, Levy-Wolfe an Barths on the Square.
Marx's just off the Square on St. Louis St.
Savage-Julliet and a really high-end men's store (can someone help me here on the name?) on South St., just south of where Nana's is now.
Any of three dime stores (I think) on the square: Kresge's, Woolworth's, and what other?

Saw movies at the Fox on the square.

Window Shopped in Zale's, "Diamond Jim" Shirk's, or actually went in Hocklander's Jewelry and had Wayne fix a watch crystal.

Banked at Union National.

Slipped into Nellie Dunn's Used Clothing when we were sure no one would see us.

Had the Ballew brothers on Boonville set and sharpen our hand saws.

Got trading stamps (Gold Bond and S&H Green Stamps mostly) at gas stations, Ramey's, and maybe Brown's Grocery? The last S&H store was across Campbell from the Wonders of Wildlife - does anyone remember where they were before that?

Got our license plates and took our driver's test at the Dept. of Revenue office, then maybe went by the new Crank's Drug Store on the corner for a burger.

Went to see what bargains were at Crazy Cecil's, way out west of town at US 60 and the West Bypass?

Remember when C. Arch Bay was postmaster? O.K. and Marjorie Armstrong would speak to clubs and church groups when not out in some obscure corner of the world on assignment for Reader's Digest? Congress man Durward G. "Dr. No" Hall built that fancy new house way out south of town (just north of what is now Meador Park), and called it "Hall's Half Acre"?

My memories of these people and places - such as they are - are neither good, nor bad; but they are only memories now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 11:39 AM

971 posts, read 1,134,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Opening some old trunks and reviewing the contents the other night got me to thinking about people and businesses that once were an important part of life here in Springfield - but that are now long gone. Somehow does not seem that so long ago we...

Shopped at
Turners and Rubensteins on Campbell St.
Heer's, Levy-Wolfe an Barths on the Square.
Marx's just off the Square on St. Louis St.
Savage-Julliet and a really high-end men's store (can someone help me here on the name?) on South St., just south of where Nana's is now.
Any of three dime stores (I think) on the square: Kresge's, Woolworth's, and what other?

Saw movies at the Fox on the square.

Window Shopped in Zale's, "Diamond Jim" Shirk's, or actually went in Hocklander's Jewelry and had Wayne fix a watch crystal.

Banked at Union National.

Slipped into Nellie Dunn's Used Clothing when we were sure no one would see us.

Had the Ballew brothers on Boonville set and sharpen our hand saws.

Got trading stamps (Gold Bond and S&H Green Stamps mostly) at gas stations, Ramey's, and maybe Brown's Grocery? The last S&H store was across Campbell from the Wonders of Wildlife - does anyone remember where they were before that?

Got our license plates and took our driver's test at the Dept. of Revenue office, then maybe went by the new Crank's Drug Store on the corner for a burger.

Went to see what bargains were at Crazy Cecil's, way out west of town at US 60 and the West Bypass?

Remember when C. Arch Bay was postmaster? O.K. and Marjorie Armstrong would speak to clubs and church groups when not out in some obscure corner of the world on assignment for Reader's Digest? Congress man Durward G. "Dr. No" Hall built that fancy new house way out south of town (just north of what is now Meador Park), and called it "Hall's Half Acre"?

My memories of these people and places - such as they are - are neither good, nor bad; but they are only memories now.
And we listened to the weather forecast on the radio by C. C. Williford. C. C. had a fishing buddy, Dorothy Hall when the both of them would speak to groups, Dorothy would whistle a song or two for you.

"Those were the days." IMO

Old 01-28-2014, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
And we listened to the weather forecast on the radio by C. C. Williford. C. C. had a fishing buddy, Dorothy Hall when the both of them would speak to groups, Dorothy would whistle a song or two for you.

"Those were the days." IMO
Sorry Arrby, It may have been more your parents time of life than yours. IMHO

I was speaking about the mid 1940's.

Bluff

Old 01-28-2014, 07:58 AM

I remember C.C., I was still pretty young when he retired. I find it hard to explain to anyone now just what his "forecasts" were like. It was easy to get wrapped up in his asides and forget what he said the weather was to be. What is somewhat disturbing is that the Dickerson Park Zoo elephant named after him (Ol' C. C. - now deceased) arrived in Springfield almost 60 years ago! See, to my mind C. C. is this young elephant named after the recently retired weatherman.

Which brings up a memory of Iga the tiger. Brought to town as a cub, Iga was donated by IGA grocery. For a time it was kept in the garage of one of the store managers - where we neighborhood kids would go to play with it. IGA had two locations; one on the north side of the current Bass Pro parking lot, the other at Glenstone and Cherry. They left town around '65 as I recall.

And speaking of characters, remember Bill Ring? "If you're too busy to go fish'n, you're TOO busy!". Slim Wilson and Speedy Haworth? And what was the name of that fellow who did the "Man in the Street" interviews for KYTV back in the 50's?

Last edited by Arrby; 01-28-2014 at 08:10 AM..

Old 01-28-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
I remember C.C., I was still pretty young when he retired. I find it hard to explain to anyone now just what his "forecasts" were like. It was easy to get wrapped up in his asides and forget what he said the weather was to be. What is somewhat disturbing is that the Dickerson Park Zoo elephant named after him (Ol' C. C. - now deceased) arrived in Springfield almost 60 years ago! See, to my mind C. C. is this young elephant named after the recently retired weatherman.

Which brings up a memory of Iga the tiger. Brought to town as a cub, Iga was donated by IGA grocery. For a time it was kept in the garage of one of the store managers - where we neighborhood kids would go to play with it. IGA had two locations; one on the north side of the current Bass Pro parking lot, the other at Glenstone and Cherry. They left town around '65 as I recall.

And speaking of characters, remember Bill Ring? "If you're too busy to go fish'n, you're TOO busy!". Slim Wilson and Speedy Haworth? And what was the name of that fellow who did the "Man in the Street" interviews for KYTV back in the 50's?
My folks had a fishing camp at Cape Fair for several years where I was raised. We never missed the weather forecast by C.C. as the weather determined how much business we might have or where we would take our float trips at any given time.

I graduated high school early 50's and left for college then marriage and a few years in Kansas City. I missed the KY3 t.v. in the 50's so I didn't see the man on the street. I brought my family back home in early 1959 when Table Rock Lake was filling up. I remember the name Bill Ring but never met him.

Although I was born in my grandfathers farm house which was close to the now Glen Ilse Shopping Center, I didn't spend much time in Springfield.

But like you, I have a lot of fond memories of the area. IMO

Old 01-29-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
I missed the KY3 t.v. in the 50's so I didn't see the man on the street.
Now that I think of it, it was "Man With the Mike". I just looked up KYTV on Wikipedia and they mentioned that "Man With The Mike" was broadcast from the Tower Theater on the then-new Plaza at Sunshine and Glenstone. I remember the theater being in the background now that I've been reminded, but I also remember them doing it from downtown once in a while.

I guess the history of those fishing camps like your parents along the James, White, and even Finley Rivers is largely lost. There must be many great stories that could be told about those days.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:54 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,905,589 times
My family and me worked Lilly Dale Farm West of town where Deer Lake Golf Course is now.

I went to Nichols Grade School.

Spent many Nights at Sunset Drive in, went to either Seven Gables or West Bypass Truck Stops.

Remember the Square having cross Traffic, parking in the middle.

I worked many years North of Square at the MFA Feed Mill back when everything came in 100 pound Burlap Bags.

Worked at Springfield Pie Company West of town.

Lived in South Golden back when it was so Bad if Law was called they came in numbers.

brushrunner

Old 01-31-2014, 11:30 AM

I saw The Ten Commandments at the Sunset somewhere around '58 or '59. We lived way out of town west of Scenic near the auto auction at the time.

Seven Gables was on Route 66. At the end of a long road trip, I remember coming into town from the west and seeing Seven Gables and thinking we were finally about home.

You would remember many of the side streets around the square being paved with bricks, then.

Well, you've got me with Springfield Pie Company - don't remember that at all.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:45 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,905,589 times
Springfield Pie Company was on West College St. across from Consumers Store. Me and my Dad both worked there then went to work for Holsum Bread both retired from there.

Did you ever see the Slave Barn out on Haseltine Rd.? Use to farm that, Main House across the road, Caretakers House to the East.

Grandpa was Cook at Cat and the Fiddle.

brushrunner

Old 01-31-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Springfield Pie Company was on West College St. across from Consumers Store. Me and my Dad both worked there then went to work for Holsum Bread both retired from there.

Did you ever see the Slave Barn out on Haseltine Rd.? Use to farm that, Main House across the road, Caretakers House to the East.

Grandpa was Cook at Cat and the Fiddle.

brushrunner

I was 40 years old before I ever remember going down Haseltine Rd. For whatever reason I just never happened to be going out there. You would remember Young's Orchard, though, just back east on W. Division. I still miss their cider.

I ate at the Cat and The Fiddle a couple of times in the late 50's. There is a photo of an old post card showing the original restaurant here: CAT and THE FIDDLE Drive-In Restaurant, SPRINGFIELD, (04/03/2010)... . Click on the image to see it larger.

Thinking of the old days and old eateries, anyone remember Green's Cafeteria in the basement of the downtown YMCA? You went down the steps on Pershing St., just off Jefferson.

If you retired from Holsum Bread, you go back farther than me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area