U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 08:21 PM

8 posts, read 19,054 times

Advertisements

I am originally from NE Ohio, but have been a Phoenix resident since 1984. Now divorced, kids have moved to Chicago and I am sick, sick, sick of living in the desert! Boyfriend and I are looking for some small acreage, quiet lifestyle and back to the beauty of the countryside that has all four seasons.
We love the area north of Springfield.... Bolivar, Buffalo, Humansville, and up around Pomme de Terre especially. We also are a musical duo, playing old country, folk with some 70's-80's misc rock mixed in. We figured we could find some places to play some gigs up around the lakes in the summers and down in Springfield year round.
Locals please chime in and give us some advice. We've been to the area twice now to look at properties, not the right one quite yet, but feel we are getting close to finding our perfect country place.
People are so friendly in your state compare to Phoenix!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 09:39 PM

912 posts, read 2,047,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeigle View Post
Locals please chime in and give us some advice.
You did not specify the kind of advice, so...
Don't let the dog guard your dinner plate.
If it ain't bothering you none, leave it alone.
If you are in too deep already, stop digging.

Any help?

Seriously, you describe my home area. It is not often anyone chooses to relocate to Polk, Cedar, Dade, or Hickory counties. Property values are low, and there is no reason to think they will get higher relative to other areas. A very high percentage of the population has had family in the area for generations. Jobs are scarce, and salaries tend to be low. The nearest metro area is Springfield, and it will be at least 30 minutes from the closest location you mentioned. 45 minutes to medical services and most shopping.

On the other hand, fishing, hunting, gardening (mind the rocks, though) are all good. The climate is truly four season and is not particularly severe, the occasional tornado and high humidity excepted. Live music abounds, sometimes in the oddest locations, but does not often make anyone rich. Ok, never, actually.

If you have specific questions, ask.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:55 AM

971 posts, read 1,377,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeigle View Post
I am originally from NE Ohio, but have been a Phoenix resident since 1984. Now divorced, kids have moved to Chicago and I am sick, sick, sick of living in the desert! Boyfriend and I are looking for some small acreage, quiet lifestyle and back to the beauty of the countryside that has all four seasons.
We love the area north of Springfield.... Bolivar, Buffalo, Humansville, and up around Pomme de Terre especially. We also are a musical duo, playing old country, folk with some 70's-80's misc rock mixed in. We figured we could find some places to play some gigs up around the lakes in the summers and down in Springfield year round.
Locals please chime in and give us some advice. We've been to the area twice now to look at properties, not the right one quite yet, but feel we are getting close to finding our perfect country place.
People are so friendly in your state compare to Phoenix!
Sounds as if you would be a good fit anywhere in southwest Missouri below the I-40 corrador. IMO

Last edited by Bluff_Dweller; 01-28-2014 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-28-2014, 04:02 PM

65 posts, read 188,921 times
I would look a little further south towards the Branson area.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,333 times
My wife lived in Wilcox Az (near Tucson) for many years and misses the mountains but has really embraced SW Missouri. There are a lot of small acreage homesteads still for sale at reasonable cost. Look in Sparta, Rogersville, and Ozark area. A little farther east will put you in Ava, Mansfield, and Seymour but that's a bit of a trot from Branson. Ozark has seen alot of growth over the years and I imagine you could find some gigs in that area. Best of luck

Old 01-30-2014, 11:10 PM

Thanks for all your replies! We don't expect to make any money playing music, just love doing it. I am self employed, so as long as I have a reliable Internet connection, I can keep my current work load from clients I have now in AZ. We are Just looking to return to a simpler, quieter way of life with some land, a garden, assorted animals and playing some good 'ol music!

Another trip planned for early March to check out more places.

Old 01-31-2014, 12:57 AM

13,722 posts, read 18,194,584 times
I agree with Ava, Mansfield, Seymour. My parents lived in those areas for quite a few years. I actually think there'd be more opportunity for music down around Branson instead, but I'm sure you can come up with things other than Branson too. Are you thinking of playing like in bars, or just on the street, or churches, or what? I was just thinking that an outdoor band somewhere at Lake of the Ozarks in the summer would probably be welcomed, especially if you aren't worried about making money at it.

Laura Ingalls Wilder house is near Mansfield (not that that has anything to do with this conversation, just sayin'...)

Old 02-01-2014, 08:16 AM

6,044 posts, read 23,333,278 times
Oh wow, you will be in good company here. Lots of music lovers, and there are bars, restaurants, lounges, churches and small stages that welcome local groups who want to perform.

I'm exactly in the area you are looking in (I'm 20ish minutes from Pomme de Terre), and it's lovely here. Pomme de Terre is very pretty, but not overrun with tourists like some other lakes are. The cost of living is outstanding, and taxes are low. Traffic - nonexistent. People are overall very friendly. Bolivar has outstanding healthcare services. Unfortunately I have had some health issues over the past 2ish years - all resolved now for the most part - and I was glad to be able to receive quality healthcare without having to travel far.

Being that internet is important to you, be sure to keep that in mind when looking at properties. Satellite is generally available everywhere and some people love it and others do not. Cable internet is rare. I have DSL and it works well for me. When I had it, I did not like wireless broadband through Verizon.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:22 PM

Thanks for your replies! We have looked at a great place on the Flemington side of Pomme de Terre. We are going to take a second look at it in early March along with a couple others that just came up on the market in Rodgersville, Ozark and Pleasant Hope.

I love your rolling green pastures and all the small cattle ranches throughout The SW part of the state. Hoping to have chickens and guines for eggs and bug control for the many cats and dogs we are bringing along.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:30 PM

Severe storms and particularly tornados seem to happen more around the Springfield 44 corridor, compared to up around the Bolivar/Buffalo area.

Is south of Springfield more active for bad storms? Ice storms, snow, tornados?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area