U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 02:51 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,192,774 times

Advertisements

I would like to know in drive time.
Nixa - 10 minutes
Ozarks 10-15 Minutes
Willard 10 minutes
Bolivar 30 Minutes

Any more?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 03:24 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,182,173 times
Default 30 minutes or less...

Actually it's about 30 minutes of all freeway driving from the edge of Branson to the edge of Springfield.
Just draw a big circle, there's lots of little towns...

Old 06-09-2014, 08:42 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,192,774 times
Thank you Lake Junkie! I was doing the circle thing but then thought what if some of these towns are way back on dirt roads or something

Old 06-10-2014, 09:17 AM

912 posts, read 2,047,625 times
Nixa, Ozark (no "s"), Willard, and Republic all share boundaries with Springfield, so in that sense there is no drive time at all - you cross an imaginary line and you are there. So the question would be, from where in (city name) to where in Springfield? And at what time of day? At certain times a day you cannot get from one side of Springfield to the other in 30 minutes.

Other towns within 30 minutes: Clever, Billings, Marionville, Mt. Vernon, Ash Grove, Walnut Grove, Morrisville, Pleasant Hope, Buffalo, Fair Grove, Strafford, Marshfield, Fordland, Rogersville, and Sparta.

Dirt roads are nearly non-existent in the area. None of the above towns are connected by anything less than 2 lane state highways and several are four lane.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:00 PM

23,594 posts, read 35,575,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beamissourian View Post
Thank you Lake Junkie! I was doing the circle thing but then thought what if some of these towns are way back on dirt roads or something
Ya gotta watch Lake Junkie. She speeds!

Actually, you can draw your circle but understand that outside of the interstates, a lot of local roads are twisty and turny, uppy and downy and passing opportunities are few and far between. All you have to do is get stuck behind a flat-lander or someone who's in no hurry and your commute will be longer time-wise. Then it's simply time to settle back in your seat and enjoy the scenery. I always allow extra time just in case.l

Old 06-13-2014, 10:51 PM

662 posts, read 1,162,333 times
^ Most of the flatlanders I know speed like crazy. The speed limits on their home roads are much higher than the typical double-nickels of pretty well all two-lane highways in MO. Plus the flatland states are often pretty depopulated with very few cops, so many of them are used to going way over their limits, let alone ours. I can understand that, if you're crossing Kansas or the eastern 4/5ths of Nebraska or the Dakotas I'd want to bury the pedal in the floor all of the way too. There's not much to see and the road is extremely monotonous.

The biggest time-killer I have seen is getting stuck behind heavy trucks or farm equipment in the twisties. Nothing holds up traffic like a combine or 400-horse tractor going a whopping 15 mph on a shoulder-less, blind-curve two-lane road. Although I do have to say sometimes the old farts DWE in their LeSabres or Park Avenues barely go any faster than the farm equipment do...

Old 06-14-2014, 01:20 PM

23,594 posts, read 35,575,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
^ Most of the flatlanders I know speed like crazy. The speed limits on their home roads are much higher than the typical double-nickels of pretty well all two-lane highways in MO. Plus the flatland states are often pretty depopulated with very few cops, so many of them are used to going way over their limits, let alone ours. I can understand that, if you're crossing Kansas or the eastern 4/5ths of Nebraska or the Dakotas I'd want to bury the pedal in the floor all of the way too. There's not much to see and the road is extremely monotonous.

The biggest time-killer I have seen is getting stuck behind heavy trucks or farm equipment in the twisties. Nothing holds up traffic like a combine or 400-horse tractor going a whopping 15 mph on a shoulder-less, blind-curve two-lane road. Although I do have to say sometimes the old farts DWE in their LeSabres or Park Avenues barely go any faster than the farm equipment do...
Them peoples from Oklahoma and Kansas only speed when ya come to a passin' stretch on a straight-away so ya cain't get around them and on I-65 which is straight. Other than that, they an' the Arkansans 'n farmers kin drive real slow in our neck-o-the-woods.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:35 PM

662 posts, read 1,162,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Them peoples from Oklahoma and Kansas only speed when ya come to a passin' stretch on a straight-away so ya cain't get around them and on I-65 which is straight. Other than that, they an' the Arkansans 'n farmers kin drive real slow in our neck-o-the-woods.
The guys from a little farther north (Nebraska and the Dakotas) are used to pretty well all two-lane highways having a 65 mph limit. They rampantly ignore it and go at least 80 mph in most cases as the pancake-flat, arrow-straight roads with no cars on them can easily handle it. In the rare event it gets twisty they just end up in the ditch because they don't know that they can't take a flat curve at 80 mph. That and absolutely rampant drunk driving is why SD in high in the national rankings in single-car failure-to-negotiate motor vehicle crashes. I worked up there for a few years in a hospital and it shocked me how many single-car crashes there were. In MO somebody would at least try to correct (and take the guy in the other lane out) before ending up flipped over in the ditch.

I still maintain that farm equipment is the absolute worst for causing a pileup on the back roads. Craig Morgan sang a funny but true song about that one.:
Craig Morgan - International Harvester - YouTube

Old 06-22-2014, 01:11 AM

11,537 posts, read 29,001,851 times
Farm tractors are a problem, but they generally don't go too far. I lived in the area for a lot of years. The town I would recumbent is Republic because there are two different major routes to get into Springfield, and there may be a backroad I don't know. The population is about 15,000 which is large enough to have groceries and gas, doctors, hospital, and other city services.

In the winter snow 1-44 must be kept open. There is a Republic exit/entrance on I-44.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:06 PM

141 posts, read 237,925 times
Bo D'Arc
Highlandville
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area