Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 12:28 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,019 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

If you were going to build a house, which of the following would be recommended and suited to the Missouri climate and trends?

One Storey or Two Storey house

Basement, Crawl Space or Slab

Heat Pump, Woodstove, Fireplace

garage or outbuilding

concrete driveway, blacktop driveway, gravel driveway

brick, hardy board, vinyl exterior finishes

High end windows, such as Anderson or Pella, or vinyl?

Generator?

Copper plumbing or plastic?

Septic or Lagoon?

Any and all suggestions would be welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 12:52 PM

104 posts, read 401,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Hi everyone,

If you were going to build a house, which of the following would be recommended and suited to the Missouri climate and trends?

One Storey or Two Storey house

Basement, Crawl Space or Slab

Heat Pump, Woodstove, Fireplace

garage or outbuilding

concrete driveway, blacktop driveway, gravel driveway

brick, hardy board, vinyl exterior finishes

High end windows, such as Anderson or Pella, or vinyl?

Generator?

Copper plumbing or plastic?

Septic or Lagoon?

Any and all suggestions would be welcome
Well since nobody has answered yet, I'll throw in my 2 cents
If I had the moola:
One Story but with Basement and put a storm shelter in there while it is being built. Electric Furnice but with 2 wood burning stoves both on main floor and basement. Garage conected to house for easy access out of the weather and outbuilding for hubby's truck and a boat with work station. Think I would make a spot for the dogs in that also with a doggie door and kennel.
I would prefer a concrete driveway without the black top black on the bottom of their shoes, bringing that in the house.
Brick rather than vinal siding, our vinal can be noisey if it isn't secure and the wind gets under it.
Generator, yes. We have a 5700/6125 watt but would prefer a larger one and get the thing that adapts it to the whole house in such a way that it isn't risk or hazard, I forget what it's called so there's no feedback.
definitely Double pained windows of some kind.

I also like copper because parasites and bacteria don't like it as much and I like septics because they are slow leaching and are contained down in the ground. These are just mine and my husbands preferences.

Blessings

Old 12-28-2007, 02:04 PM

Hi BabyFace,

Thanks for your input! Is an electric furnace more/less expensive to run? What exactly are the cost/benefits of the different mechanical systems anyway: heat pump, electric furnace, propane heat/airconditioning, other systems? I just bought a mega millions lottery ticket to help finance our new house...ha ha, sure!

Old 12-28-2007, 02:14 PM

104 posts, read 401,404 times
Quote:
Hi BabyFace,

Thanks for your input! Is an electric furnace more/less expensive to run? What exactly are the cost/benefits of the different mechanical systems anyway: heat pump, electric furnace, propane heat/airconditioning, other systems? I just bought a mega millions lottery ticket to help finance our new house...ha ha, sure!
Heat pumps can get exspensive. I know too many people who are not happy with them. You have to pay up front to fill them
Propane seems more than twice as exspensive here than CA. Again, you have to pay up front to fil them.
Electric Furnice we use ours here more than we did in CA and our last bill was only $88 for a 2,400 sq ft house!
A/C Again, we use it more here than CA and our August bill was about $190 when CA was about $500!

Good luck with the lottery, lol

Old 12-29-2007, 02:04 PM

111 posts, read 392,643 times
When building a house basement of slab is better in Missouri. Check out the websites regarding mold & crawl spaces, you will see for yourself that a crawl space in Missouri is not wise.

All electric is so far the most cost effective. Propane is getting pretty pricey nowadays. Wood stoves are excellent heat sources and make a house very warm and toasty. Heat pumps are not as cost effective in Missouri due to our climate.

Asphalt driveways will have a bit of a meltdown in the Missouri summer heat and it will be brought into the home.

Brick in this area is nearly as cost effective as vinyl siding and it definitely will have a longer life than vinyl.

A good window does not mean it has to be Anderson or Pella. Talk with your window supplier and get a good quality above a construction grade, just make sure they put the windows in properly with wrap and insulation, it won't matter what brand if not put in properly to save energy. A double pane low-e window is a good thing nowadays.

Definitely stay away from lagoons, septic is a better choice.

Generators are good to have, but if the house is planned out properly you can survive without a generator. Wood stove (one that can be used in case of no electric). Have city water this won't require a pump to get water from well. That being said, you can get a generator system that connects directly to your house and goes on immediately as needed in case of electric outage. Approximate cost: $3,000.00. Check out the websites on generators.

Plumbing: the plumbers in most states are now using copper at the fittings and the new pvc that does not get bacteria build-up. You can check this out on the web.

One storey or two storey or slab. It won't make a difference except that a two storey can be built for less than a larger ranch style (cost per s.f. for a ranch is always alot more to build than a two storey for same s.f.). If the slab home is built properly it is very cost effective (that is the key: being built properly). Any further questions email me directly and maybe we can answer your questions.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:05 PM

Hi Skeating,

Thanks for the great information. If you build a house on a slab like you recommend, where do you hide during storms? Can you build a "fraidy room" on a slab, above ground? Maybe a cinderblock room, with a steel door, and something over the top...don't know what, maybe steel panels of some sort? When we asked the builder about woodstoves, which we love, he said that now new construction usually has zero clearance wood fireplaces. I tried researching them, but couldn't find much about them. There were plenty of zero clearance gas fireplaces...any ideas? I'll try to research the plumbing and generator issues, as we will be on well water. I appreciate your help. Thanks again. Wow, asphalt melts in the Missouri summer!!!!! That's toasty!

Old 12-30-2007, 10:54 AM

879 posts, read 2,878,482 times
We've owned two houses in Missouri. One in Eureka (custom built) and one here near Branson (contractor built).

One had a finished basement, one is on slab. Didn't really see any difference the two as far as comfort. Basements can provide additional living/storage space if done properly (water/moisture/ventilation) and relative to the overall cost of building, is "relatively" cost effective. Slab is more cost effective and supports a faster building process. My dad has a house here with a crawlspace. Mold is a problem as it's damp under there most of the time.

We had three story (counting a finished basement) in St. Louis and have a one story now. I prefer the one story just because it's easier to clean, to move around, and has a wider market appeal (many people don't like/can't get around in dual level homes). You can build a larger house on less land with a two story, but overall it's a personal choice.

We've had heat pumps in two houses and haven't found any problems/additional costs associated with them. The furnace kicks in when it's too cold for the heatpump. Our electric bills seem reasonable....About $100 in the summer and about $75 (or less) in the winter to heat/cool about 2600 sq. feet. We have both electric and propane heat with the heatpump system. We also have a gas fireplace (propane..we're in the country) but I would have opted for wood since we can get wood for free. We also have a generator backup system (again, propane) in case mother nature decides to test us someday. Have't had to use it yet.

Garage or outbuilding? I assume you mean attached or detached? We have both.
But if I could only chose one, it would be attached garage. It's much easier to unload groceries directly into the house. Also easy to grab anything we have stored in the garage when it's attached.

Concrete if you can afford it. But lot's of people seem to have gravel or a mix of concrete and gravel. Concrete is cleaner and more durable, but expensive. Our last house had blacktop and yes it can get soft on a hot day. But overall it was fine as long as you took your shoes off at the door.

Copper plumbing or plastic? Copper although many builders use plastic on interior wall plumbing to the sinks. Less bacterial problems with copper, less chance of "splitting" and having a leak in the walls.

Brick or stone over anything else. Durable, adds a level of energy efficiency, looks good.
Depends on your budget as the other items you mention cost less.

Windows....there are good windows out there other than Pella and Anderson. Talk to a few good window dealers. LowE is good as it increases energy efficiency. Dual pane is a must (and maybe part of code by now). Consider fixed windows in some areas if cost is an issue. Fixed windows (don't open) cost less than windows that open. But ensure you have enough opening windows to allow for ventilation on good days.

I think a good reliable and reputable contractor with experience in the area can answer all of your questions and more. Some of the things you've asked are personal preferences. Budget often dictates which way you go on some of the items.

And on the tornado issue....we don't worry about it. There is a better chance of the house catching fire than of a tornado picking this exact area to hit. However, if needed we do have a basement under the detached garage if we can run fast.

But good luck if your planning on building. It's an exciting process if done right.

Last edited by mrschilicook; 12-30-2007 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 12-30-2007, 12:56 PM

Hi Mrs. CC,

Thanks for your wonderful answer. From what you and others have written, we will stay away from crawlspaces due to potential moisture problems. I'm also glad to hear that heat pumps are a possibility. We have electric baseboard here in NY, and supplement with both a wood and pellet stove. We don't have a/c. Our utility bills run $330 per month on the year 'round budget plan, so the cost you are quoting is a nice reduction from our normal costs. Does anyone have any experience with Hardy Board siding? It seems like it is a cement type product with a wood grain impression, and it is painted. The builder we have been talking to uses it and raves about its durability. He has pretty much convinced my husband to use it when we build. I spent a few summers ago wearing a respirator/goggles while pulling asbestos composite siding shingles off of our house, before re-siding it with vinyl and don't want a repeat of that situation. It's going to be awhile before we will be able to afford a driveway of any kind, but the information about asphalt vs. concrete is really appreciated. Although some of my questions are indeed based on preference and budget, it is interesting to hear CDers answers. Thanks again.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:06 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,381,231 times
Talking Opinions...

Quote:
Hi Mrs. CC,

Thanks for your wonderful answer. From what you and others have written, we will stay away from crawlspaces due to potential moisture problems. I'm also glad to hear that heat pumps are a possibility. We have electric baseboard here in NY, and supplement with both a wood and pellet stove. We don't have a/c. Our utility bills run $330 per month on the year 'round budget plan, so the cost you are quoting is a nice reduction from our normal costs. Does anyone have any experience with Hardy Board siding? It seems like it is a cement type product with a wood grain impression, and it is painted. The builder we have been talking to uses it and raves about its durability. He has pretty much convinced my husband to use it when we build. I spent a few summers ago wearing a respirator/goggles while pulling asbestos composite siding shingles off of our house, before re-siding it with vinyl and don't want a repeat of that situation. It's going to be awhile before we will be able to afford a driveway of any kind, but the information about asphalt vs. concrete is really appreciated. Although some of my questions are indeed based on preference and budget, it is interesting to hear CDers answers. Thanks again.
Tambre,

There's a right way and a wrong way to build a crawlspace, as there are right and wrong ways to build most things!
I'd listen to your builder AND ask professional advice A LOT!
Hardy Board is being used a lot here, and seems to add a lot of value to the home. It hasn't been in use long enough for a track record, tho...so I don't know what the long range desirability will be.
I really like the new vertical vinyl siding for the sides & back of a house with stone or brick or cedar siding on the front...
There are a lot of different types of heat pumps...the old original ones were made mainly for warmer climates but the new energy efficient dual fuel heat pumps are wonderful for anywhere...I love mine. (That is to say I stay snug and warm/cool and have nice low energy bills.)
And I love real wood heat. If you put a wood stove in the lower level it should help a lot to reduce energy costs.
There's lots of places out in the country where you can go cut wood for free in the fall...
Research is good...can't wait to meet you!

Old 12-30-2007, 06:12 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,482 times
I don't personally know anything about Hardy Board, but in this development they tend to use it at the back and non-visible sides of the house. The CCR's require brick and/or stone on the fronts and visible (from the street) sides. Personally I think it looks better than stucco.

The heatpump issue that some posters have noted, I think refer to older heat pumps. I know some of the older ones couldn't keep up. But ours is wonderful...high efficiency, fairly low utility bills. Keeps us cozy summer and winter.

I didn't mean to imply that crawlspaces are bad, but if not done right you can have problems. My dad's place is older and the builder didn't grade the space correctly so water gathers. Again, slab, basement, crawlspace. Pro's and Con's of each.

I really believe anything you want/need is possible if you get a good builder and do some research on benefits, costs, etc.

Oh yea....asphalt...it can get soft, but again, if done right...no problem. Otherwise all of the parking lots at all of the stores/malls etc..would have problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area