Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:25 AM

6 posts, read 20,998 times

Advertisements

I have lived my whole life in Missouri and can't wait to leave. I'm in a small town about 30 minutes from Springfield. I think Missouri is a nice place if that's what you want. I don't like the weather here. My family and I are hoping to relocate to Florida because we want warm weather year round. Some people really like the unpredicatblility of the weather here, but for me it is a downfall.
As far as religion goes, there are a lot of Baptists here. I myself am one of them and have nothing negative to say. There are plenty of large churches in Springfield that have cool music and fun programs for couples, families and so on. I have friends who go to James River Assembly and it has a neat music program from what I've been told. Also, they don't really care about you wear. Jeans are perfectly acceptable.
As far as hiking and being outdoors, Missouri has some awesome state parks that are worth visiting. Most of them are just a few hours away. I think the best thing that Missouri offers is our lakes. Lots of water to go out on in a boat or canoe. Yes, there are a lot of ticks, chiggers and mosquitoes, but they can easily be avoided with some bug spray. I have visited some places that have worse mosquitoes than we have here. I lived a summer in Mexico and you couldn't be outside even for a few minutes without bug spray. They were horrible all day everyday. Here they don't really come out until the evening time.
Small minded people are everywhere and southwest Missouri is no exception.
Even though I grew up here I am a very opened minded person. The judgemental attitude that seems to loom in this area is a big reason I want to leave as well. I have 3 kids that I want raised in an area with more culture. I love the rock scene, tattoos, piercings and funky clothes and hair. I feel like I am very much judged by my tattoos and the way I dress. Some people just assume I come from a low income household with no morals and values. Little do they know, I am church going, PTA mom, preschool Sunday school teacher, with a very comfortable income. I know there are people everywhere that are judgmental, but it seems very prominent here.
My husband lived in California (LA area) and relocated to Missouri after the Marines because his mother lived here. He hates California (no offense) and never wants to return. He also doesn't care for Missouri that much either. If asked to pick though, he would choose Missouri over California. Also, after living in California the cost of living here will probably be a nice change for you. I do know many people who have relocated to this area from California for that reason alone. My neighbors being two of them.
I hope that this book of information will be helpul to anyone wanting to move to this area. If it was warm in Missouri year round would I stay here, maybe so. I would be moving to an area more cultural and still safe like Columbia though.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:42 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelQueen View Post
My family and I are hoping to relocate to Florida because we want warm weather year round. Some people really like the unpredicatblility of the weather here, but for me it is a downfall.
I lived a summer in Mexico and you couldn't be outside even for a few minutes without bug spray. They were horrible all day everyday. Here they don't really come out until the evening time.
Have you really spent any time in fla besides a visit for a vacation?
the economy is in the pits here, the hurricane threat is ever-present, insurance is sky-high, the bugs are horrible, much worse than Mo.
I really would re-consider moving here, I have been here almost 20 years, I am a Mo, native, and cant wait to get out of here....... forgot to mention traffic, tourists, and the older folks that have no business driving, but still do. It really is NOT paradise here, like so many folks would have you believe, and the schools are HORRID.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:02 PM

6 posts, read 20,998 times
I have been reading a lot of negatives about Florida matching exactly what you are saying. I appreciate you sharing your feelings and information. This move is not something that I am taking lightly and I am trying to do as much research as possible. So any info is very much appreciated from you and anyone else. We are looking for someplace warm year round, good schools, close to the ocean and more open minded than where we live now.

We have spent quite a bit of time in Florida and not just on vacation. It is hard to spend too much time there at one time with 3 kids and 2 of them are in school. Also, we own are own company so it's hard to leave for too long at one time. My biggest fear is moving and realizing we made a mistake and not being able to leave.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelQueen View Post
I have been reading a lot of negatives about Florida matching exactly what you are saying. I appreciate you sharing your feelings and information. This move is not something that I am taking lightly and I am trying to do as much research as possible. So any info is very much appreciated from you and anyone else. We are looking for someplace warm year round, good schools, close to the ocean and more open minded than where we live now.

We have spent quite a bit of time in Florida and not just on vacation. It is hard to spend too much time there at one time with 3 kids and 2 of them are in school. Also, we own are own company so it's hard to leave for too long at one time. My biggest fear is moving and realizing we made a mistake and not being able to leave.
Good, glad you are doing your homework, and going into this with your eyes open, what area are you considering, would be glad to help with any info via DM, dont wanna hijack the thread.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:05 PM

902 posts, read 717,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdslady View Post
And if we don't have all of our own then we have them store bought kind !
That be me!!!!!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:30 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,047 times
FLA doesn't make me picture rock music and tattoos. I picture old people, hurricanes, and high prices.

And not all Missouri is conversative, just so you know. From what I understand, KC and STL are more liberal and less judgemental about tattoos and funky hair and stuff. I've never known Springfield to be that judgemental, at least not from friends who go to school there, but I guess it depends on where you live.

I'd think you could find a place that accepts funky hair, tattoos, and rock music for cheaper than FL.

If you decide to move to FL, though, good luck!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
FLA doesn't make me picture rock music and tattoos. I picture old people, hurricanes, and high prices.
LOL, there are some old folks with tats here, believe me! And its not attractive.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:59 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,991 times
I can pretty much confirm kshe95girl's posts regarding Florida. In fairness, I've only visited it once, a little over four years ago. Daytona Beach is a big biker hangout, and it has a bad crime rate. Many of the posters in the Florida forums don't like it down in Florida at all for the most part. Before I decided to come back to Missouri to live, I was eyeballing the Florida Gulf Coast, including Fort Myers. What a revelation! Those who have written about Fort Myers generally can't stand it there. Ditto for the Orlando area, where I noticed very heavy traffic on Interstate 4 when I was there--not much unlike Highway 101 in Marin County.

Though I'm not into funky hair and tattoos, I've had the radio dial on 94.7 each time I've been back to St. Louis. As I've gotten older, and I know this is true for Springfield, most of those who have gotten a bad rep for being closed-minded and judgmental are able to say to ourselves, "There but for the grace of God go I" before pointing an accusatory finger at someone. In my case, I'd almost always deserve to have a bunch of accusatory fingers pointing back right at me!

If you want to see some judgmentalism, come to much of the San Francisco Bay Area! Just don't come in a big SUV or full-sized pickup with a conservative sticker (such as "Peace Through Superior Firepower") on the back of it, or you'll meet a lot of mean-faced Volvo and Toyota Prius drivers yelling something about Halliburton and your super-sized carbon footprint at you while extending the one-fingered peace sign your way! Maybe not that bad, but they won't want to let you in their lane if you're trying to merge.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:24 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,381,231 times
Wink Tats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
LOL, there are some old folks with tats here, believe me! And its not attractive.
Hey...I resemble that remark.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:06 AM

156 posts, read 387,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Hey...I resemble that remark.

real estate agents with tats lol...now that's cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area