Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 05:40 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,944 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience regarding miniature donkeys. I have seen a few out in Missouri, and I am totally smitten, can't explain it! Are they useful for anything besides looking adorable? Looking to justify why we may need one to my hubby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 06:43 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Aren't they cute ? I really like the longhaired ones. The first time I saw those guys I got a wild idea to build a mini donkey cart with little seats for kids to ride in.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:56 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience regarding miniature donkeys. I have seen a few out in Missouri, and I am totally smitten, can't explain it! Are they useful for anything besides looking adorable? Looking to justify why we may need one to my hubby

I might be on your husband's side on this one.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:58 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,232 times
I have 2 donkeys, slightly larger than mini-size. I bought them mainly as companionship for my 28 year old horse. They are very people-oriented, smart, less flighty than horses, easy to care for and of course, adorable. You can get them from a few hundred dollars to thousands, depending on bloodlines. They make great rides for children, but watch weight limits-no more than 1/3 their weight on their backs. In England, they are used for rides on the beaches. They are also great at pulling carts. I bought an 18 year old jenny with a six week old baby. The baby is now coming 3 and I will be training her to ride and pull a cart this year. The jenny had never been trained but took to it willingly. I used her to pull some dead branches to the brush pile recently. One caveat: they really need to be around other equines, one lonely donkey does not do well. They need another donk, or pony or horse to be happy. Some people use them as guards for sheep. I had my farrier teach me to trim their feet, no shoes are required. They also tend to get fat easily, so no special food, just grass and hay and mineral blocks.There are several mini-donk farms around Liberal and Springfield, just look them up on the Internet. Most are more than happy to show off their critters, and give you any information you need! If you have any specific questions I am happy to help also. Be warned-they can be addictive!

PA090183.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Image of happynewyear - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Old 02-27-2008, 01:29 PM

537 posts, read 1,322,738 times
Aawww I think we are gonna get some donkeys too! We were thinking shettland (sp) ponies or miniature donkeys. Does anyone know which are better with children? We plan on getting goats too so not sure if they would get along or not?

Old 02-27-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
I have 2 donkeys, slightly larger than mini-size. I bought them mainly as companionship for my 28 year old horse. They are very people-oriented, smart, less flighty than horses, easy to care for and of course, adorable. You can get them from a few hundred dollars to thousands, depending on bloodlines. They make great rides for children, but watch weight limits-no more than 1/3 their weight on their backs. In England, they are used for rides on the beaches. They are also great at pulling carts. I bought an 18 year old jenny with a six week old baby. The baby is now coming 3 and I will be training her to ride and pull a cart this year. The jenny had never been trained but took to it willingly. I used her to pull some dead branches to the brush pile recently. One caveat: they really need to be around other equines, one lonely donkey does not do well. They need another donk, or pony or horse to be happy. Some people use them as guards for sheep. I had my farrier teach me to trim their feet, no shoes are required. They also tend to get fat easily, so no special food, just grass and hay and mineral blocks.There are several mini-donk farms around Liberal and Springfield, just look them up on the Internet. Most are more than happy to show off their critters, and give you any information you need! If you have any specific questions I am happy to help also. Be warned-they can be addictive!

PA090183.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Image of happynewyear - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Wow, so I would be willing to put up with a small herd of sheep....so I could get "more than one mini donkey" to protect them of course...so how can I convince my husband we need some sheep. Great photos! So cute, who could resist? (except for those happy bachelor types Do they do well in a pasture with cows...the mini donkeys, not the happy bachelor types?

Old 02-27-2008, 04:44 PM

Actually, for guard animals you want only 1 donkey, usually a gelding, because the sheep become his "herd". If you have 2 donkeys, they form their own herd and the sheep be damned. They do fine with cows, as long as the cows are not given feed. A donkey can quickly get overly fat and founder on rich feed. They were originally desert animals, used to sparse grasses. I personally would prefer a donk over shetlands, because they are so easygoing. They don't spook like horses, instead they study the situation. If they feel it is dangerous, they won't do it. Thus the "stubborn" image is more a situation of distrust. Once they trust you, they will do anything. A pony saddle will generally fit, but the bridle may need adjusting as donkeys are not proportioned the same. Same goes with harness for cart-pulling.They can be a bit noisy, but I love the hee-haw when they see me coming. They also respond well to clicker training. They are extremely long-lived, 40 years is not uncommon. So either get a nice middle-aged donk who needs a good home, or prepare for a long term investment. Donks have a natural aversion to dogs (coyotes,wolves) and will chase them out of the field. My baby also chases squirrels, rabbits and birds. She killed 5 squirrels last summer by pulling a board out of the stock tank. The squirrels fell in and drowned. When she realized where I kept the treats, she started walking right into the tack room to help herself. One day both donks were fussing, we looked where their ears were pointed and there was a bobcat sitting on a rock wall! Sassafrass(the baby) bonded really well with my 16 hand horse during her weaning period. Be careful of donkeys pastured with goats. Around adults they should be fine but I have heard of them killing the babies (and lambs) if they felt threatened. Maybe they resemble dogs too much? Usually this happens with jack donkeys or jennys w/foals.

Last edited by firebll31; 02-27-2008 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 02-27-2008, 04:53 PM

A good website for donkey info. Keep in mind it is based in Great Britain so some things will be different. For instance, they routinely put blankets (rugs) on in the winter. In SW MO, all you really need is a 3-sided shed they can go in and out at will.

Donkey Breed Society :: Forums (http://www.forum.dbs.dsoftd.com/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=2 - broken link)

Last edited by firebll31; 02-27-2008 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: add website

Old 02-27-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
Actually, for guard animals you want only 1 donkey, usually a gelding, because the sheep become his "herd". If you have 2 donkeys, they form their own herd and the sheep be damned. They do fine with cows, as long as the cows are not given feed. A donkey can quickly get overly fat and founder on rich feed. They were originally desert animals, used to sparse grasses. I personally would prefer a donk over shetlands, because they are so easygoing. They don't spook like horses, instead they study the situation. If they feel it is dangerous, they won't do it. Thus the "stubborn" image is more a situation of distrust. Once they trust you, they will do anything. A pony saddle will generally fit, but the bridle may need adjusting as donkeys are not proportioned the same. Same goes with harness for cart-pulling.They can be a bit noisy, but I love the hee-haw when they see me coming. They also respond well to clicker training. They are extremely long-lived, 40 years is not uncommon. So either get a nice middle-aged donk who needs a good home, or prepare for a long term investment. Donks have a natural aversion to dogs (coyotes,wolves) and will chase them out of the field. My baby also chases squirrels, rabbits and birds. She killed 5 squirrels last summer by pulling a board out of the stock tank. The squirrels fell in and drowned. When she realized where I kept the treats, she started walking right into the tack room to help herself. One day both donks were fussing, we looked where their ears were pointed and there was a bobcat sitting on a rock wall! Sassafrass(the baby) bonded really well with my 16 hand horse during her weaning period. Be careful of donkeys pastured with goats. Around adults they should be fine but I have heard of them killing the babies (and lambs) if they felt threatened. Maybe they resemble dogs too much? Usually this happens with jack donkeys or jennys w/foals.

Hi Firebll,

You really know your donkeys! I am totally dismayed, as I have two big dogs. Is there anyway for them to all get along? My dogs are not particularly "lifestock smart", as they have never been around donkeys, cows or sheep. They are part Great Pyrenese, so they have some herding lineage, but not sure if that would be an asset.

Your two donkeys sound really smart. That is amazing that the baby chases birds, squirrels and rabbits. Where do you live that you saw a bobcat?

Old 02-27-2008, 08:41 PM

Yes, I think they can all "just get along" just make sure the dogs are leashed and the donkeys on leads, so everyone is under control. Let the introductions begin, and make sure the dogs are friendly, not lunging or barking, just sniffing. Take it slow, and let them get to know each other. Watch the body language, they will let you know when everyone is on good terms. Once the dogs know the donkeys BELONG here and the donks know the dogs aren't dangerous, they should all be friends. Pyrenees don't tend to be overly yappy and jumpy, which will help.
I live in Carthage, between Joplin and Springfield. My donks live just west of town at my in-laws. The Dyno-Nobel explosives plant (where my hubby works) owns about 1200 acres there, mostly wooded, no hunting. There are abundant deer, raccoons, turkeys, bobcats and possibly a cougar. I have seen the bobcats twice while driving. Its very odd because normally they are secretive animals, mostly active at night. This one was about 75 yards from my sister-in-laws house, he had chased a rabbit under the wall and was growling at the donks who were braying at HIM. They got a pic of him before the rabbit jumped out and he ran away.
Sassy also steals halters and lead ropes left carelessly on the ground, grabs my horse's tail and races him around the field. He lopes along, while her legs are going ninety-to-nothing with her ears laid back. She will hold just about anything in her mouth if I roll it in cookie crumbs first. Sorry I ramble on-can you tell I love my critters?!

Image of Sassy and Bo - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Image of Julie and Tess - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area