Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2009, 07:11 PM

1,844 posts, read 3,937,716 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the restaurant information and input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Best fried chicken: Heritage Cafateria, Battlefield at Freemont. Really. Amazing place. Everything, and I mean everything, is exactly the same as it was when the original Heritage opened in the early 60's. It is like stepping into a time machine.
This was especially interesting to me, since I remember my grandparents taking us to the Heritage when we visited back in the early 1960's. As a kid, I thought it was wonderful. It would be interesting to go back sometime and see what it is like from an adult's point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2009, 07:45 PM

914 posts, read 2,204,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
My first experience at Mexican Villa was so bad I'll never give them my money again... and if I had a free meal coupon, I'd give it away.
Mexican Villa is not haute cuisine, and is not usually the place people choose to take out-of-town friends. However, for many of us it is a comfort food ritual.

One thing not widely known about Mexican Villa is that it is more of a co-op than a chain. The different locations are owned and operated by different family members. The recipies are the same, the chips, tortillas, etc., all come from a central kitchen, as do the taco/burrito sauces. The execution is very definitely unique to each location. There is one location in particular which I'd rather not mention that I never go to - but then I don't like to make left turns out onto E. Sunshine anyway.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:25 AM

437 posts, read 1,071,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedFish View Post
Cedar Cross Cafe. It's a little country cafe nestled on the edge of the ozarks just north of Granby Missouri. They have fresh Homecooked food. They place was built by the owners from the ground up! Love this little unique cafe in the country down a dirt road!!! Here's there website! http://cedarcrosscafe.yolasite.com

Yes! I just recently had this place reccomended to me and it's all that and more!

Old 09-25-2009, 03:20 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,142 times
Default Anyone know what's going on with Buckingham's on Campbell?

Tried this again the other day and it is no longer the old Buckinghams. Food was medicore, service(?) was poor, and the folks running it looked like a transplanted family. Did they sell it out? What about the one in Nixa?

Old 09-26-2009, 07:41 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
What about the one in Nixa?
I placed a carry-out order at the Nixa location a few weeks ago and was extremely disappointed. My dinner tasted like leftovers from lunch and if I had been dining in, I would have returned the order.

I won't go so far as to say that one bad visit establishes a trend. Perhaps I caught Buckinghams on a bad night. I don't go there often enough to say one way or the other, but I will definitely think twice before stopping next time I get the urge for BBQ.

The Nixa location is also supposed to be building a new restaurant on the west side of 160 (still on 14). I don't know if that's been put on hold, because the lot was cleared of an old house and has just been sitting there for quite a while now with no activity.

Old 09-28-2009, 12:59 PM

I went back to Buckinghams in Nixa on Saturday and had a much better experience. The food was significantly better and I didn't have any complaints. I think the secret to Buckinghams is to go there during the busy times around lunch & dinner and avoid the slower "off" hours. My bad visit came a bit after the traditional dinner rush while this time I went during prime dinner hours. Apparently, demand dictates how fresh the food is.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:04 AM

879 posts, read 2,878,142 times
Thumbs up Grants American ____

Tried the new Grants American (cafe/restaurant/bistro?) where the old Angeli's used to be across from Lamberts. VERY good. The chef/owner is a culinary school grad and worked under a couple of "well known" (no names mentioned) chefs in Napa.

It's basically good old fashioned American food and they have a couple of daily specials. In particularly I liked the idea that the tomatoes and herbs were all grown in pots right out front...fresh is the keyword here.

Been there twice now and have taken my mom there....haven't yet been even slightly disappointed.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:31 AM

I hadn't heard of Grants American before, so thanks for the input MrsC! It's now on the list of places to eat in the near future. What's the atmosphere like? Any "can't miss" items on the menu that I should look out for?

Old 01-22-2010, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,533 times
I eat at Chez Robert's often. In fact, I eat there so much that my family and I are now very good friends with their family. The kitchen is incredibly clean - they got a 100 on their last Health Dept Inspection. It's a classy place - but definately not stuffy!!! Blue jeans are welcome as much as formal wear. Earlier in the week I had Veal Oscar that was out of this world - the side of Asparagus was perfect - lightly cooked so that it was still crisp. (I hate overcooked (mushy) asparagus!!!!!) If you have a certain dietary need (such as gluten free food) just call them a couple of days ahead so they can be sure to have what they need on hand - they'll fix you up. I had lunch there today and apparently they are starting Brunch on Sunday's from 10am - 2pm - starting this Sun. I'm looking forward to giving it a try. Hope this was helpful to anyone that hasn't gotten the opportunity to dine there.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracergirl View Post
I eat at Chez Robert's often.
Me too! In fact, I've even mentioned Chez Robert in this thread a couple of times. I had the seafood medley pasta a couple of days ago. Delicious!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area