U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-30-2009, 09:08 PM

1,066 posts, read 1,562,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I don't eat at chain restaurants.

20yrsinBranson
What about the rest of you folks? Do you prefer chains or locally owned restaurants? Do you trust the chains to be cleaner with better service and more consistency? Do you believe locals serve food with more flavor and friendliness? What about the future? Do you think Americans prefer chains, because they are familiar with them? Where do you eat when you travel--chain or local, sit-down or fast food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 12:11 PM

19,263 posts, read 16,615,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Where do you eat when you travel--chain or local, sit-down or fast food?
Given time and preference, I'd much rather get off the interstates, find the country routes and eat at the Mom&Pop's. Not just good, wholesome food as a general rule but some local color as well. It's Americana!

But steer clear of anyplace named just "Mom's" restaurant, luncheonette, cafe, coffee house, diner, etc. 'cause you might not want to know what happened to Pop.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:21 PM

9,595 posts, read 4,863,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
What about the rest of you folks? Do you prefer chains or locally owned restaurants? ?
I prefer to find some local Mom and Pop place to eat, here in my town is a little place called Babs Delta Diner, only open for Breakfast and Lunch but a great place to eat....
Unfortunatley I eat to much fast food because, ummm, well , . because there one on every street corner,

Old 02-01-2009, 09:27 AM

1,238 posts, read 2,996,369 times
Absolutely we prefer to eat local, not chains. When we travel, it is to see and experience things DIFFERENT from what we get at home. That's one reason we like foreign countries better-chains have made most of the US feel just like every other place in the US. Unfortunately, they are spreading worldwide more and more. We always ask a local guide or hotel worker when we get there for the area's best (insert type of food here). It's often cheaper than chain restaurants too, which serve outrageous amounts of food. We have a friend however who eats Wendy's no matter where he goes. He is very uncomfortable trying new things and will return to the same place repeatedly so as not to "take a chance on if we will like it." We don't travel very much with him! Unfortunately it's getting harder for Mom and Pop's to stay ahead of the game.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:11 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,502,645 times
Cool Locally owned, for sure.

Definitely locally owned. As long as it is clean, and the food is good, of course!
And shopping local not just in restaurants...I like to think I'm helping my neighbors stay in business!

I will say that even the chains CAN vary from restaurant to restaurant. I occasionally eat at the Red Lobster in Branson, I think it's a lot better than the one a little further north.

As for the future, I'm sad to see America becoming one big chain-store mall from end to end. We're losing the regional character......

Old 02-02-2009, 10:30 AM

19,263 posts, read 16,615,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
As for the future, I'm sad to see America becoming one big chain-store mall from end to end. We're losing the regional character......
...and thanks to runaway immigration we're losing our national character as well.

To stay on topic, as long as they leave behind their recipes for their distinctive meals they're free to exit the premises!

Old 02-02-2009, 10:27 PM

1,593 posts, read 2,403,561 times
Well, one of our favorite shows is Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives with Guy Fieri on Food Network!

I think that says it all!

Old 02-05-2009, 10:22 AM

1,238 posts, read 2,996,369 times
If anyone needs a business opportunity, one of Carthage's local eating institutions is up for sale due to owner age and illness. Taco Town has been a local favorite for over 50 years and I hate to think it might be lost forever! Now, I wouldn't call it good Mexican food, more like tasty faux-Mexican. The cheese dip doesn't resemble cheese at all but is addictive. The unique flavor of the beef has been rumored to be due to the oatmeal used as an extender. I believe most food was microwaved. And no one eats inside, drive-thru only because the building is in disrepair-kinda surprised it passes structural safety inspections. That said, the drive-thru line at lunch always extended down the shoulder of Garrison street. And you can't beat the prices! One caveat: as soon as the new High School opens, the students will lose their open lunch hour and will not be allowed to leave the campus. This will greatly impact the noon lineup. Perhaps a Taco Town lunchwagon would be a good idea? We don't want the youth to miss out on the high-fat, calorie-rich, nutrition-deficit greasy goodness. Can you tell I'm missing my faux-cheese enchilada platter? Someone, please, save this landmark! (and don't you dare change the recipes) I might add that if you are not from Carthage, the flavor of the food might not appeal to you at first. It takes time for the palate to adjust and the brain to disconnect from what "Mexican" food should taste like.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:56 AM

41 posts, read 109,546 times
Always preferred local places. My great aunt worked at the diner that used to be in Nixa next to Diamond Video and ever since I was young I preferred those kinda places.

Babe's in Joplin is a great local burger joint by the way. I like the Chubby Cheese personally.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:23 PM

880 posts, read 1,886,425 times
Question Local vs ???

Question...what exactly is a "local" restaurant? Does this mean a mom & pop type of thing where there is only one in existance? Or is it just a restaurant situated close to where one lives?

When someone says they don't eat at "chains"...are they talking national chains (Taco Bell, Olive Garden), small chains (Dave's Famous, Joe's Crab shack), or little chains in a certain area (Ziggy's, Bandana BBQ).

Just curious. While I like to try the single storefront dining establishments (Billy Bob's in Branson for example), I'm not above eating at a national chain (Macaroni Grill for example) if the food is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area