Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,395 times

Advertisements

We are looking at moving to the Springfield/Branson area from southern Wisconsin. We have two young girls who love to be outside and the long WI winters have become too much for us. We love the Southwest Missouri area and there seems like there is so much to explore - I have to admit, I wasn’t always an “outdoors” person, having kids changed that. With that said, I’m not the biggest fan of bugs and other creatures. So, I know this is probably a dumb question, but how bad are they? Mosquitos here in the summer are brutal and we’ve learned to deal with those. We do have ticks, but have managed to stay pretty clear the last few years. I see MO has chiggers - those would be new to me... Any other creatures to watch for and any tips for dealing with them would be appreciated. I’d also love any feedback on the weather, I’m ok with a little higher temps in the summer, especially in exchange for a milder winter. One of our main reasons for moving is to be able to get the girls out exploring more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 05:18 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Don't know about Springfield/Branson, but here in KC, bugs in the summer are just about as bad as anywhere. Can't do any yard work in the summer without getting a few mosquito bites. I think I've had as many as about 10 on me at one time last year. Maybe even a dozen.

Pretty much the whole eastern US is bug city. To get to low-bug areas of the US, you mostly have to go to parts of the west where summers are dry.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:16 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
For ciggers, after being outdoors, immediately wipe down exposed areas with a wet washcloth. Chiggers have delicate exoskeletins and a wet washcloth will kill any on the skin. Dont wait too long because once they shoot their liquifying solution you're doomed. They do not burrow under the skin as popularly believed.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:21 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturemom1 View Post
We are looking at moving to the Springfield/Branson area from southern Wisconsin. We have two young girls who love to be outside and the long WI winters have become too much for us. We love the Southwest Missouri area and there seems like there is so much to explore - I have to admit, I wasn’t always an “outdoors” person, having kids changed that. With that said, I’m not the biggest fan of bugs and other creatures. So, I know this is probably a dumb question, but how bad are they? Mosquitos here in the summer are brutal and we’ve learned to deal with those. We do have ticks, but have managed to stay pretty clear the last few years. I see MO has chiggers - those would be new to me... Any other creatures to watch for and any tips for dealing with them would be appreciated. I’d also love any feedback on the weather, I’m ok with a little higher temps in the summer, especially in exchange for a milder winter. One of our main reasons for moving is to be able to get the girls out exploring more.
You won't be trading better weather in WI for MO any day of the week. Take it from someone who has lived in both areas and is quite familiar with the climate aspects of both as well. MO has much hotter summers with more humidity that last for far longer compared to WI. MO has next to no Spring weather compared to WI as well. Precipitation in MO is much greater overall compare to any area of WI, so plan on plenty of rain. Winters are milder in MO compared to WI, but MO doesn't have a clue how to deal with winter precipitation on the roads or plowing, especially in southern areas, so winter precipitation events are more dangerous compared to the efficient way that WI DOT handles winter weather of all types on roads. The main advantage of MO over WI in my opinion is property taxes, but MO wages are lower across the board outside of the metro areas, even factoring in cost of living.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:32 PM

914 posts, read 2,206,654 times
I know southern Wisconsin well - never been more than 100 miles north of Madison, though. I'd like to see the UP some time.

Mosquitoes in the Ozarks are but a pale imitation of the Wisconsin colossi. But we have plenty. My wife and I can sit side by side on our porch and she will be swatting one after another while I get narry a one.

Chiggers are very disagreeable. They are impossible to see, they head straight for waist and leg bands, and the itching occurs in places one does not scratch in public. DEET works quite well for chiggers, and pretty well for ticks. Like ticks, you pick them up from casual contact with plants. They do not infest mowed lawns.

I love hiking in the Ozarks - I really believe it is some of the finest to be had anywhere. That said, I stay out the woods from April through frost. Chiggers, ticks, gnats, mosquitoes, spiders and their webs, snakes... I don't need all that. Unlike Wisconsin we have many of days throughout the winter where one can get out and enjoy the outdoors.

Being at a lower latitude means that the daylight hours in winter are a bit more generous as well. The short days in Wisconsin winters have always weighed heavily on me.

Every place has its issues. A nephew from Georgia talks humidity and problems with alligators. We split our time here and in Colorado where we must be aware of bears and mountain lions (although both are making a comeback in the Ozarks as well). My Wisconsin family is almost frenetic in their quest to get their nice weather activities in the few weeks between thaw and frost.

Old 05-16-2018, 10:58 AM

92 posts, read 99,348 times
Lots of fun wildlife in MO: tick carrying the Bourbon virus killed a woman from Sullivan, MO; new last year were lone star ticks carrying the alphagal virus (after you are bitten by one and get the virus you become permanently allergic to eating mammalian meat); brown recluse spiders; watermoccasin (cottonmouth) poisonous snakes. The snake venom antidote costs about $5,000 per vial if you are taken to a hospital to save your limb after a snakebite. Depending on the bite sometimes 2 or 3 vials are required.
https://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...bite/27965437/. Snake bites in Missouri up sharply in 2015 | kplr11.com Take prevention and precautions seriously.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:35 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uicgrad View Post
Lots of fun wildlife in MO: tick carrying the Bourbon virus killed a woman from Sullivan, MO; new last year were lone star ticks carrying the alphagal virus (after you are bitten by one and get the virus you become permanently allergic to eating mammalian meat); brown recluse spiders; watermoccasin (cottonmouth) poisonous snakes. The snake venom antidote costs about $5,000 per vial if you are taken to a hospital to save your limb after a snakebite. Depending on the bite sometimes 2 or 3 vials are required.
https://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...bite/27965437/. Snake bites in Missouri up sharply in 2015 | kplr11.com Take prevention and precautions seriously.
^^^^^

this

Old 05-24-2018, 02:15 PM

92 posts, read 99,348 times
More about venomous anakes in Missouri.

https://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...ite/637851002/

Old 05-24-2018, 04:15 PM

16,085 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Ticks have gone from just being a nuisance to being life-threatening. As a "tick magnet" in Missouri (my record is 13 at one time) I could get one or two just from cutting the grass each week. I moved to the desert and have no more ticks -- just scorpions, etc. There are all sorts of debilitating illnesses you can get from ticks these days. I'll take a scorpion since I can see it and it is mostly just like a wasp sting.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:57 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Don't know what became of OP, but my guess is she stayed up here with us after reading these responses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area