Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 02:17 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooooooooooooooome View Post
We have been here for 2 years. Due to job transfers we have lived in 4 different states. So, we have an opinion on Springfield, Ozark, Nixa and Branson. If your not from So MO and you don't have a hillbilly accent you will find it difficult to develop friendships. If you don't hunt fish camp or boat FORGET IT Living here.

If you come from the North get rid of your accent! You will be spotted as an outsider and treated as such. If you come here it is no different than Alabama or Mississippi. I have been told by a person who sees 100 clients per month. 50% are not from MO. They are from California or the Northern states and are treated as outsiders. ALso you better be Baptist to fit in Ha ha. I will say I have not seen white sheets yet but lots of rebel flags. :
It sounds like you've confused Branson with Nashville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 02:41 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
It sounds like you've confused Branson with Nashville.
Branson is southern. There is nothing Midwestern about that area, especially off season when it's not diluted with tourist.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:40 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,323,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooooooooooooooome View Post
We have been here for 2 years. Due to job transfers we have lived in 4 different states. So, we have an opinion on Springfield, Ozark, Nixa and Branson. If your not from So MO and you don't have a hillbilly accent you will find it difficult to develop friendships. If you don't hunt fish camp or boat FORGET IT Living here.

If you come from the North get rid of your accent! You will be spotted as an outsider and treated as such. If you come here it is no different than Alabama or Mississippi. I have been told by a person who sees 100 clients per month. 50% are not from MO. They are from California or the Northern states and are treated as outsiders. ALso you better be Baptist to fit in Ha ha. I will say I have not seen white sheets yet but lots of rebel flags. :
Can you please send me whatever amazing drug you’re on? You’re delusional

Old 04-28-2018, 02:18 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Branson is southern. There is nothing Midwestern about that area, especially off season when it's not diluted with tourist.
I didn't say anything about the Midwest.

Branson is just a mini Nashville, or wants to be.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:13 PM

23 posts, read 29,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I moved to Missouri from Southern California, please disregard what the op says, I would guess by his/her post that his attitude is his problem not the locals. No one made fun of me, I don't hunt,fish, or camp, We have a good group of friends as well as my children growing up here. My Dil is from the north west and is well known and liked by the locals.

If you show respect, not make fun of their customs or act like your better then everyone you will be fine. Also just because someone lives in a small town doesn't mean they are uneducated. You would be surprised at how many has college degrees.

Just curious, what part of So Cal did you move from? I grew up in Irvine. We are in SE Missouri and are planning on moving to the Springfield area by end of summer due to my husband's job transfer. I'm a bit apprehensive as we are in our 50s and raising our 2 grand kids. But we love the area and can't wait to see what we get in to

Old 05-08-2018, 05:47 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
I didn't say anything about the Midwest.

Branson is just a mini Nashville, or wants to be.
Yea, that's a decent way to put it. A better city to compare it to would be Gatlinburg, TN. A touristy upper south city both similar. That being in the Smokey Mountains which has some similarities except they have taller hills and mountains there.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:24 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,308,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leannebkr1965 View Post
Just curious, what part of So Cal did you move from? I grew up in Irvine. We are in SE Missouri and are planning on moving to the Springfield area by end of summer due to my husband's job transfer. I'm a bit apprehensive as we are in our 50s and raising our 2 grand kids. But we love the area and can't wait to see what we get in to
I'm from Huntington Beach area, I moved here in the 80s right after I got married. You will be alright as long as you treat everyone with respect. It can take time but going to Church and working in a community helps alot. I was pretty shy, but my daughter in law is pretty vivacious and friendly that the locals warmed up to her pretty quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area