U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 08:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,340 times

Advertisements

We have been here for 2 years. Due to job transfers we have lived in 4 different states. So, we have an opinion on Springfield, Ozark, Nixa and Branson. If your not from So MO and you don't have a hillbilly accent you will find it difficult to develop friendships. If you don't hunt fish camp or boat FORGET IT Living here.

If you come from the North get rid of your accent! You will be spotted as an outsider and treated as such. If you come here it is no different than Alabama or Mississippi. I have been told by a person who sees 100 clients per month. 50% are not from MO. They are from California or the Northern states and are treated as outsiders. ALso you better be Baptist to fit in Ha ha. I will say I have not seen white sheets yet but lots of rebel flags. :
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 04:52 PM

794 posts, read 1,492,322 times
You might want to try a different bar.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:11 PM

155 posts, read 254,656 times
I don't know exactly where you are living or what you do for work and I think that makes a difference. I lived in Branson for 2 years with my husband from 2011-2013 and our experience was different than yours. He is an entertainer and was in a show. I have been away from NY for many years but still have my accent and I didn't find any discrimination at all. We don't hunt, fish or camp. LOL! I worked at a few different restaurants and retail places and always found everyone so nice. I will admit though that I heard a few things about other people and their views on certain people and things, but we did not hang out with any people like that.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:42 AM

7,268 posts, read 16,847,287 times
There are people everywhere that will judge you but some of the nicest people I've met are here in the Ozarks. Some have lived here all their lives and some are transplants. Not everyone is an outside sporty type. Not everyone is a Baptist. (I'm certainly not) I don't see the problem you have with flying a flag.
If you want to see and be with nice people, you need to try being nice yourself and stop being so judgmental toward people that are different than you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooooooooooooooome View Post
We have been here for 2 years. Due to job transfers we have lived in 4 different states. So, we have an opinion on Springfield, Ozark, Nixa and Branson. If your not from So MO and you don't have a hillbilly accent you will find it difficult to develop friendships. If you don't hunt fish camp or boat FORGET IT Living here.

If you come from the North get rid of your accent! You will be spotted as an outsider and treated as such. If you come here it is no different than Alabama or Mississippi. I have been told by a person who sees 100 clients per month. 50% are not from MO. They are from California or the Northern states and are treated as outsiders. ALso you better be Baptist to fit in Ha ha. I will say I have not seen white sheets yet but lots of rebel flags. :

Old 04-16-2018, 11:28 AM

4 posts, read 2,172 times
I disagree completely. Not once in my day to day life has anyone asked me my religion (note: I'm not Baptist). As far as camping or fishing, where are you having conversations w/ people? Lol, seems like you may just need to get out and meet some new people?

Kayaking, fishing and boating are very popular in the area due to proximity of several rivers and table rock lake, so that will always be a popular recreation activity, but I see plenty of people enjoying night life, non water/outdoor activities as well. May try getting out of your current bubble and trying something new? Good luck!

Old 04-16-2018, 11:49 AM

149 posts, read 224,535 times
I have lived here 6 years in branson area from way up north.
I have no accent
The closest I came to camping was bass pro shops
fishing well I watch from the Landing
I was raised methodist but go to a presbitarian and not one person has ever asked
me where I go to church or if I am baptist.
I have seen the rebel flag waved by a black person and a few on cars but mostyly the american flag
no white sheets but I have some blue ones if that makes you happy.

everyone around here seems nice and I have made many friends
I also like to hike, maybe you should to and get tid of the attitude. that might help.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:17 PM

992 posts, read 667,283 times
I moved to Missouri from Southern California, please disregard what the op says, I would guess by his/her post that his attitude is his problem not the locals. No one made fun of me, I don't hunt,fish, or camp, We have a good group of friends as well as my children growing up here. My Dil is from the north west and is well known and liked by the locals.

If you show respect, not make fun of their customs or act like your better then everyone you will be fine. Also just because someone lives in a small town doesn't mean they are uneducated. You would be surprised at how many has college degrees.

Old 04-18-2018, 10:19 PM

992 posts, read 667,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrby View Post
you might want to try a different bar.
😂

Old 04-25-2018, 08:30 PM

1,101 posts, read 921,533 times
Hmmm. I live here, and I have friends who believe in reincarnation, friends who are Methodist, Catholic. Atheist, and more. I moved here in 2007 without the benefit of a southern accent or a klan membership, and since then I have built a business and made a metric ton of friends. Republicans, Democrats(they are all nuts, but some of them are likable, anyway)anarchists, confederates, yankees, bikers, teachers, retirees, realtors, truck drivers, loggers, roofers, plumbers, yada yada. I get along with all of them. Called the power company to have power cut off for a service upgrade I was doing, the lineman showed up to disconnect, stayed to help mount the conduit to the pole, and spent over an hour talking to me about religion and politics. We hit it off right away. Honestly, I don't know how you can live here and not make friends unless you are a real curmudgeon yourself. And I am not too sure they don't have a group that gets together somewhere!

Old 04-25-2018, 08:38 PM

1,383 posts, read 716,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooooooooooooooome View Post

Why are people from Commiefornia moving to Missouri? Don't want that!

When you look at southern Missouri and Trump getting 75 to 85 percent votes in almost every county in Southern MO, I wonder if a lot of the 15-20 percent in each county voting for Hillary are transplants from California or northern states. Same thing in the 2012 election.

I want Missouri to be 60 percent Trump in 2020.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area