Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 09:27 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,147,831 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

How is the job market in general in the Springfield area these days? How do you think the national economic "slowdown" is affecting the area? Do there seem to be layoffs, or new hiring? Any and all opinions and ideas are welcome. Tambre
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 11:03 AM

144 posts, read 552,328 times
There is a lot of opportunity in the Springfield/Branson area, it just depends on what your career actually is. For example, I am a teacher, and there are many jobs available. If you are a marine biologist, probably not so much What field are you looking to enter?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajo View Post
There is a lot of opportunity in the Springfield/Branson area, it just depends on what your career actually is. For example, I am a teacher, and there are many jobs available. If you are a marine biologist, probably not so much What field are you looking to enter?
Hey Melissajo,

I think I mentioned it on another post, but I am a COTA, and work in the public schools here in NY. I called the Springfield School District about any job openings, and was told that they didn't have any positions available, have little turnover, and probably won't unless someone retires! The nice woman did take my name, though. Doesn't sound too promising. I could also possibly work as a COTA in a rehab setting, hospital, nursing home, or psych center, but have 15 years experience working in pediatrics, so it would be a stretch. At least I'm not a marine biologist, lol.

Of course, like most folks, I would be willing to take anything to put food on the table for the short run, with hopes of finding a better opportunity when it became available. But, anyway, that's just my personal story, but really I was wondering what the general feeling about the economic outlook is? Is there a positive employment vibe in the Springfield area? If there are good opportunities for teachers, that is a great sign...usually means the population is growing, which also translates into a need for all types of good/services.

P.S. When does the school year end in Missouri?

Thanks. Tambre

Old 03-31-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Hi everyone,

How is the job market in general in the Springfield area these days? How do you think the national economic "slowdown" is affecting the area? Do there seem to be layoffs, or new hiring? Any and all opinions and ideas are welcome. Tambre
Just as I suspected, you're all independently wealthy!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 12:04 AM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,662 times
Hi, Tambre!

I think the lack of responses here is because employment is such a mixed bag. The opportunities aren't great...but it depends on what you do...and I think most of us are reluctant to speak on something we aren't sure about. We only have our own experience and can't speak with authority on how easy or hard it is to find a job in a generic sort of way.

I do have a couple of things to share on this topic. First, I heard some bad news on the TV about a meat company that is going to be closing in the next few months and there are nearly 800 people who will be out of a job. Some of them are already starting to look for another job but some will wait until it closes. The company offered some to transfer to another location but most will be finding other work here in the next few months.

I went to the local newspaper's website to find the story to share with you: Willow Brook Foods is sold, will shut down Springfield operations | News-Leader.com | Springfield News-Leader

Now, these people may not be qualified to do the jobs you might be looking for so it might not make a difference but I still thought it would be good to share it here.

Second, I've been searching for a site I recently learned about and finally found it! It has all sorts of stats for employment and other things in Springfield. Here's the link:
http://www.business4springfield.com/demographics/profile/screen.pdf (broken link)

Hope these help!

MrsG

Old 04-01-2008, 05:34 AM

Hi Mrs. G.,

Thanks for the information. That is a shame about the meat company shutting down. Did that have anything to do with the company involved in the scandal about the mistreatment of cows, and the recall of meat products?

I'm definitely not looking for hard, cold facts, but more what the current economy feels like to people, in whatever jobs they have, in the Springfield area. For some, they won't lose their jobs, but will be asked to take over more responsibilities, as hiring new workers is out of the question. Or, maybe there will be less hours, employees paying more for their benefits, etc. Or maybe it is busier than ever, and they are scrambling for more qualified people.

Baby boomers are looking for less expensive places to retire, and Missouri fits the bill. My hope is that this will keep the job market healthy. Thanks again for your insights.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:51 AM

1,845 posts, read 3,938,156 times
Quote:
Baby boomers are looking for less expensive places to retire, and Missouri fits the bill. My hope is that this will keep the job market healthy. Thanks again for your insights.
I am a baby boomer who plans to retire and move to Springfield next year, and contribute what little infusion to the local economy that I can! One thing is for sure - - I have already worked for many years and in retirement, I won't be competing with anybody for jobs. Sorry to hear about your difficulty so far in locating a job in Springfield. The news about the meat packing plant isn't too promising. Big layoffs like that have a ripple effect.

In general, I have been impressed by the vibrance of Springfield's economy, relatively speaking, for a town its size in that part of the country. The last time we were up there was for a week in February, and I can tell you that despite hundreds of wonderful restaurants in south Springfield, we had a hard time finding one without a waiting list at 7 PM on Saturday night (when we arrived). To me that says good things about the economy there.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
I am a baby boomer who plans to retire and move to Springfield next year, and contribute what little infusion to the local economy that I can! One thing is for sure - - I have already worked for many years and in retirement, I won't be competing with anybody for jobs. Sorry to hear about your difficulty so far in locating a job in Springfield. The news about the meat packing plant isn't too promising. Big layoffs like that have a ripple effect.

In general, I have been impressed by the vibrance of Springfield's economy, relatively speaking, for a town its size in that part of the country. The last time we were up there was for a week in February, and I can tell you that despite hundreds of wonderful restaurants in south Springfield, we had a hard time finding one without a waiting list at 7 PM on Saturday night (when we arrived). To me that says good things about the economy there.
Hi Nola2SGF,

Thanks for sharing your perspective. It's good to hear that so many people are dining out, guess food service jobs may be in demand. Later this month, we are traveling out to determine whether or not to build something on the land we bought. I guess we'll just have to get a feel for the economy when we get out there. Did you already find a retirement spot? Take Care,

Tambre

Old 04-03-2008, 09:54 AM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,662 times
Quote:
Hi Mrs. G.,

Thanks for the information. That is a shame about the meat company shutting down. Did that have anything to do with the company involved in the scandal about the mistreatment of cows, and the recall of meat products?

I'm definitely not looking for hard, cold facts, but more what the current economy feels like to people, in whatever jobs they have, in the Springfield area. For some, they won't lose their jobs, but will be asked to take over more responsibilities, as hiring new workers is out of the question. Or, maybe there will be less hours, employees paying more for their benefits, etc. Or maybe it is busier than ever, and they are scrambling for more qualified people.

No, tambre, I don't think the closing had anything to do with the cow thing. The pictures that the news keeps using are all showing hams. The company was bought out by another and this facility was very old and run down, they said. Someone told my husband yesterday that their sister went to work there and only stayed a couple of days before she quit. She also said that the majority of the employees were asian and mexican which makes me wonder if they are all legal. If that's true, it would suggest that their impact on the job market could be less than previously thought.

As far as discussing feelings about the employment opportunities here, I am too busy too give my feelings on that but here is a link to another thread on that topic: Regarding Jobs: Is it just me?

I hope it helps you find the answers you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post

Hi, NOLA!

I don't know where they got the information but someone told me that Springfield has more restaurants per capita than any other city in MO...which includes the big cities, of course...and it always amazes me how busy most of the restaurants are! Even in CA, I never saw the restaurants so consistently busy! It doesn't even seem to matter what time of day it is...there is often still a line for seating. What a trip! It truly seems like the Eating Out Capital of Missouri!

Old 04-03-2008, 02:07 PM

Hi everyone,

Since I guess this is a kind of nebulous question, I thought other transplant wannabees, and job seekers might find this link helpful. Hope this link works, as I'm not really computer literate.

Regional Profile
Missouri Economic Research & Information Center ... internationally acclaimed Branson, the Springfield Cardinals, and a dynamic economy. ...
Regional Profile
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area