U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 07:21 PM

69 posts, read 161,644 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
My husband might be getting relocated to Joplin. I'm trying to find info on what areas to look for a house. Our primary concern is schools. We have a an almost 9th grader, almost 7th grader and an almost 1st or 2nd grader (don't ask- lol), so we'll need good elementary, middle AND High school, specifically ones who are good for GT and AD/HD kiddos. Unfortunately, we can't spend more than $200,000-$250,000 for housing and need at least a 4 BR in a good school district... Any ideas? Other things important to us: HS Football (I've heard Webb City?), Girl Scouts, PTA & Marching Band... Archery team would get bonus points...

Any good, bad or ugly is appreciated!!

Thanks,
Nicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 09:23 PM

469 posts, read 321,092 times
I don't recall any of the schools being bad in the Joplin area. However, it's been many years since I lived there. Webb City is an excellent pick for schools, but I would still visit other areas.

Joplin itself has done some major rebuilding since the tornado. Being the largest district, you may find that it offers a wider selection of programs.

Some of my coworkers lived in Carl and liked it. It's a smaller town though, with a smaller district than either Webb or Joplin.

$200k will buy a decent property anywhere in Jasper or Newton County. There aren't really any bad areas in the Joplin area (For reference, I was raised in StL prior to Joplin). However, some of the older neighborhoods are decidedly working-class and not well-maintained.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:08 PM

8,624 posts, read 4,204,529 times
Webb City and Carthage always seem to have good football teams. But to play in Webb, you have to be really good. They let students who don't live in their district play without paying out of district tuition, so it makes competition tough. Joplin is a nice area to live and has an excellent college, MSSU, in town. A decent mall and lots of shopping. Not many entertainment options, but only an hour from Branson.

Old Today, 12:23 AM

31 posts, read 10,907 times
I lived in Joplin from 2001 to 2016 and substitute taught (primarily Special Ed) in almost all their schools between 2012 and 2015. There is only one high school in the area unless you are Catholic, then there is also a Catholic high school. The best middle schools are South and North; avoid East. The best elementary is Stapleton. If you can go to Webb City, as others have posted, their schools are top-notch; I did practicum at their junior high, and was very impressed. Granted, this was back in 2011, so things possibly could have changed since then, but it's a possibility for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or