U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2019, 02:30 PM

28 posts, read 10,347 times

Advertisements

I have always wondered what it was like to live in rural SW MO. Specifically around Springfield, and probably to the north of Springfield. I'd like to be away from all the big lakes cause of all the tourists, and away from Springfield a little bit. Somewhere maybe a little south of Bolivar. I dislike crowds and people, and want to be left alone. I like the green and a lot of rural areas are out west and are deserts. I also like how cheap SW MO is. I love being outside whether it's mountain biking, fishing, hiking, or skateboarding. The bible belt aspect does not concern me, as I would say I am pretty aligned with the people who live there. I'm not too concerned about being an outsider, because if I lived there I wouldn't really bother anyone and would live on my own little piece of land. I'm not a hippie or anything, I am going there because of the slower and more relaxed pace of life there.

The largest complaints that I have heard are that it's really hot in the summer, although I come from Florida so it can't be any worse right? And doesn't it cool down at night and in the mornings there? I also like how it isn't hot 10 months out of the year, you get a good break. I don't really mind the cold and it's not like it gets super super cold in South Missouri for extended periods of time right? I like the idea of having seasons. Another complaint I've heard is the bad wifi, just how bad would it be where I am thinking of relocating to? I use my PC online a lot but a stable connection is something I'd be willing to sacrifice. A lot of the complaints don't apply to me about it being rural cause I live in an urban area now and I hate it, I think I'm just happier with less people.

What is daily life like in rural Missouri around Springfield? Can you guys describe it? What do you like about living there and what do you dislike? And just how cheap is it where I am thinking of going? Say you had no housing expense, how cheap a month could you live there? I am really just looking for a cheap area that doesn't have a lot of gun laws and isn't in the desert and isn't packed with people.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 06:12 PM

815 posts, read 1,565,129 times
Life here is pretty much just like everywhere else - it is what you make of it.

Wifi varies with exact location. It can be good, it can be non-existent - even within the same town. You will have to investigate each prospective location. However, there are several cell towers south of Bolivar, so if you have the right service and the right location it might work out. Do not discount the possibilities of DSL. I have it, and I am about as far out in the woods as you can get. Other areas have nothing at all.

Bolivar will get you close to plenty of outdoor activities. Everything on your list except maybe skateboarding - I know nothing of that.

We have four distinct seasons here. It is true that the humidity here is not as severe as that in Florida, but there is enough to suit most people. This is not the arid West; the air is often damp in the winter making it feel colder than it is. You can expect winter weather any time between Thanksgiving and the end of May, but there will be occasional periods of much warmer weather. Occasionally spring will arrive before February is out.

Housing, eating out, and most services will cost a good deal less here than pretty much anywhere. Transportation, groceries, insurance, medical care, and everything else will be about the same as most of the country. Utilities also vary pretty widely. Some electric providers are very, very reasonable; others are not. Propane prices are usually as low as anywhere. Missouri does have an income tax, but property taxes are very low in Polk County.

How cheap can you live? That depends on too many variables to answer. I assure you there are many people in Polk county who live on less than $1,000 a month, including housing costs.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Life here is pretty much just like everywhere else - it is what you make of it.

Wifi varies with exact location. It can be good, it can be non-existent - even within the same town. You will have to investigate each prospective location. However, there are several cell towers south of Bolivar, so if you have the right service and the right location it might work out. Do not discount the possibilities of DSL. I have it, and I am about as far out in the woods as you can get. Other areas have nothing at all.

Bolivar will get you close to plenty of outdoor activities. Everything on your list except maybe skateboarding - I know nothing of that.

We have four distinct seasons here. It is true that the humidity here is not as severe as that in Florida, but there is enough to suit most people. This is not the arid West; the air is often damp in the winter making it feel colder than it is. You can expect winter weather any time between Thanksgiving and the end of May, but there will be occasional periods of much warmer weather. Occasionally spring will arrive before February is out.

Housing, eating out, and most services will cost a good deal less here than pretty much anywhere. Transportation, groceries, insurance, medical care, and everything else will be about the same as most of the country. Utilities also vary pretty widely. Some electric providers are very, very reasonable; others are not. Propane prices are usually as low as anywhere. Missouri does have an income tax, but property taxes are very low in Polk County.

How cheap can you live? That depends on too many variables to answer. I assure you there are many people in Polk county who live on less than $1,000 a month, including housing costs.
How many weeks out of the year would you say itís hot to the point of being uncomfortable when youíre just walking outside? And does it cool down in the evenings or is it like Florida in that itís hot even at night? Are those people living on less than 1k a month doing it without government assistance? Say for a single guy not including housing or any sort of hobby budgeting, just the insurances transportation utilies food and everything that is actually required to live, do you think you could do all those on less then 1k a month without government assistance? I consider my self to be a pretty frugal individual and really try to prioritize my spending.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:34 PM

Hot weather is concentrated between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Certainly there have been plenty of exceptions on either side of those dates, but then I have also seen it remain fairly cool well into June on a few occasions. In between there will be occasional periods of much more pleasant weather. Humidity is a much bigger issue than actual temperatures. We did not quite reach 100 degrees any day last year, but it was plenty uncomfortable many, many days. One thing I noticed last summer is that we had few, if any days, when it did not cool down nicely after sunset. This is not always the case - I have seen 90 degrees at midnight plenty of times. On the other hand, this happens maybe a dozen times a summer most years.

The quick answer to your monthly expense question is "yes", the major obstacle being health insurance. Health insurance is $300, $600, up to $1,000 a month depending upon your age, although there is low income assistance to lower that if you qualify. Utilities for a small house might run $1,000/yr., or they might be twice that. Uninsulated houses will raise that double again. I, personally, could keep food on the table for $120/mo. - easily. If I wanted to splurge once in a while that might raise it to $150/mo. transportation expenses - well that depends, doesn't it? The cheapest auto liability-only policies run maybe $30/mo., while a more complete policy for an ordinary pickup truck might be closer to $100/mo. Expensive late model cars, high liability limits, a history of tickets or accidents will raise that rather a lot. One can drive 12,000 miles per year for $35/mi. covering everything - purchase price, repairs, fuel, maintenance, insurance, everything. Drive fewer miles per year and the fixed costs start to raise the per mile expense. Clothing is no cheaper here than elsewhere. It depends so much on one's personal habits and needs.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Hot weather is concentrated between Memorial Day and Labor Day. Certainly there have been plenty of exceptions on either side of those dates, but then I have also seen it remain fairly cool well into June on a few occasions. In between there will be occasional periods of much more pleasant weather. Humidity is a much bigger issue than actual temperatures. We did not quite reach 100 degrees any day last year, but it was plenty uncomfortable many, many days. One thing I noticed last summer is that we had few, if any days, when it did not cool down nicely after sunset. This is not always the case - I have seen 90 degrees at midnight plenty of times. On the other hand, this happens maybe a dozen times a summer most years.

The quick answer to your monthly expense question is "yes", the major obstacle being health insurance. Health insurance is $300, $600, up to $1,000 a month depending upon your age, although there is low income assistance to lower that if you qualify. Utilities for a small house might run $1,000/yr., or they might be twice that. Uninsulated houses will raise that double again. I, personally, could keep food on the table for $120/mo. - easily. If I wanted to splurge once in a while that might raise it to $150/mo. transportation expenses - well that depends, doesn't it? The cheapest auto liability-only policies run maybe $30/mo., while a more complete policy for an ordinary pickup truck might be closer to $100/mo. Expensive late model cars, high liability limits, a history of tickets or accidents will raise that rather a lot. One can drive 12,000 miles per year for $35/mi. covering everything - purchase price, repairs, fuel, maintenance, insurance, everything. Drive fewer miles per year and the fixed costs start to raise the per mile expense. Clothing is no cheaper here than elsewhere. It depends so much on one's personal habits and needs.
Ok thatís good cause it sounds to me like you get a break. Even in the heat of the summer you think if you go early in the morning you can do an outdoor activity like fishing or biking and it wonít be too hot? Iím really just sick of the never ending heat, and it sounds like MO gives you a good break. So if Iím being conservative it looks like without the car expense health insurance for 400$ utilies for 150$ food for 150$ and then Iím at 700$ with a 50$ Miscellaneous putting me at 750$. That 35$ a mile seems to steep though, cause that would be 420k dollars if you drive 12k miles a year. Maybe you meant 35 cents? But if car insurance is 100 then Iím at 850$ so it looks like all Iím missing is fuel and maintenance and my hobbies in that budget, definitely seems doable on under 1k a month

Old 03-10-2019, 09:22 AM

35 cents, yes. Those who are mechanically apt can do quite a bit better than that.

Summer mornings are always good for outdoor activities - severe weather conditions excepted. The best hours for fishing are almost always early morning. Being on the water at sunrise never gets old.

Cycling is a special case since you are moving through the air by definition. There are always hours early or late that are plenty cool enough. Hydration becomes critical, however.

You can shop for pretty much any insurance you want on line and get prices. Food prices have become fairly consistent across the country with national chains, but you can check out local grocery ads on line as well. You will not get nearly as much fresh produce as in Florida.

Old 03-10-2019, 10:58 AM

5,969 posts, read 3,348,072 times
Coming from Florida you know about bugs. I don't think there are fire ants in Missouri (or not as much) but there are other pests. Ticks and chiggers if you step outside of your house. The Southwest Missouri culture seems very conservative Republican and very bible and church oriented. That appeals to some and not others. I always liked the area around Bolivar, Greenfield, or Buffalo -- and they are close to the quieter lakes. Bolivar (that's BOL-e-ver) is only about 45 minutes from Springfield. The area is much less of the Ozarks and more rolling hills and farmland. Springfield is a big city by comparison and has more options. It seems to me that there has been an increase in winter ice storms in southern Missouri. Tornados, of course, every year.

I haven't been in that part of Missouri for a few years so things might have changed a bit. Say "Hi" to the armadillos for me.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
35 cents, yes. Those who are mechanically apt can do quite a bit better than that.

Summer mornings are always good for outdoor activities - severe weather conditions excepted. The best hours for fishing are almost always early morning. Being on the water at sunrise never gets old.

Cycling is a special case since you are moving through the air by definition. There are always hours early or late that are plenty cool enough. Hydration becomes critical, however.

You can shop for pretty much any insurance you want on line and get prices. Food prices have become fairly consistent across the country with national chains, but you can check out local grocery ads on line as well. You will not get nearly as much fresh produce as in Florida.
Thatís good to hear. Are there still a lot of small businesses and local grocery stores in the small towns? Iím looking mostly at a little town called Pleasant Hope. North of Springfield seems quieter and more relaxed. The only thing though is it seems like a lot of the recreational stuff I like mostly Mountain biking is all to the south of Springfield, cause Mark Twain has some recreational activities in I think Christian County? So it seems like more of my hobbies are to to the south, but I think Iíd like the feel of living to the north more. Definitely think I gotta just go there and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Coming from Florida you know about bugs. I don't think there are fire ants in Missouri (or not as much) but there are other pests. Ticks and chiggers if you step outside of your house. The Southwest Missouri culture seems very conservative Republican and very bible and church oriented. That appeals to some and not others. I always liked the area around Bolivar, Greenfield, or Buffalo -- and they are close to the quieter lakes. Bolivar (that's BOL-e-ver) is only about 45 minutes from Springfield. The area is much less of the Ozarks and more rolling hills and farmland. Springfield is a big city by comparison and has more options. It seems to me that there has been an increase in winter ice storms in southern Missouri. Tornados, of course, every year.

I haven't been in that part of Missouri for a few years so things might have changed a bit. Say "Hi" to the armadillos for me.
What are the Ozarks like? I always thought of them as being rolling hills. Do you know anything about Pleadant Hope?

Old 03-10-2019, 04:38 PM

I know Pleasant Hope very well. It does not take long to get to know it. It is only 17 miles from there to Springfield, or about 15 miles to Bolivar. All businesses in Pleasant Hope are local except for the fairly new Dollar General. It is quite possible to get a good deal of your daily needs there, but with a choice of two different Wal-Mart Supercenters less than 20 minutes away, well....

The Ozarks are indeed rolling hills. There are bigger, more dramatic hills to the north east, east, and south (Branson south to about I-40 in Arkansas). Sac River Trail is a popular mountain bike trail between Pleasant Hope and north Springfield. There is also the Frisco High Line Trail (Hiking, biking, horseback) between north Springfield and Bolivar. The Chadwick area may be the area you have heard about in the Mark Twain National Forest.

From Pleasant Hope you can reach four popular fishing lakes in less than an hour as well as several pretty good rivers. South of Springfield you have your choice of several lakes as well. There are also two state trout hatcheries within an easy drive of Springfield, plus trout fishing below the dam on lake Taneycomo. To the east are three or four rivers for float fishing within reasonable driving distances.

You might also find you like the northern Arkansas Ozarks.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:43 PM

5,969 posts, read 3,348,072 times
The Ozarks are steeper hills and deeper valleys than what you will see a bit further north from Springfield. In that southward area, the terrain is actually an uplifted plateau cut by ravines/hollows and river valleys rather than any sort of typical mountain range like in Appalachia but they sometimes feel the same.
I've been through Pleasant Hope but not recently so I others will know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or