Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:25 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
As for your question about Whole Foods Market. I knew of a couple of whole foods type stores in the area and went on a google/yahoo search. I came up with a couple of interesting links and a rumor that might interest you. First of all, yahoo has an interesting site that talks about Mama Jeans and Akins Natural Markets. Here are their links:
Mama Jean's Natural Market, Springfield, MO : reviews
Akin's Natural Foods Market, Springfield, MO : reviews

The first link is the one for Mama Jeans and one of the people giving the reviews (scrappyquilter) wrote that she has been shopping there "ever since Whole Foods closed down". If that's true, it makes me wonder if it would be futile to start a campaign to bring them back. kwim? Just a thought.
Mrs. G...the "Whole Foods" market that was in Springfield was NOT a part of the chain, and was no resemblance. Just thought you'd want to know.

Someday...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 11:20 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,278 times
Thumbs up It just goes to show ya...ya learn somethin' new ev'ry day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by in3dee View Post
I live in what used to be considered SW Springfield, though with it spreading further south....LOL I'm not terribly far from Holland elementary school.

Our neighbors are nice, but not intrusive. They wave. If we are both out in our yards, they speak. (we discussed trimming my tree which was hanging onto one's land, in case of another ice storm) Another, to our back, came out to offer help when a limb fell on our privacy fence. But we don't do bar b ques, or anything. As you said, friends are made due to common interests, etc. And frankly, I'm too busy with all the kids and my mother to attempt neighborhood block parties and the like.

The only time I lived away from here, was on the outskirts of OKC, which was asked about. For what it's worth, I hated it there. Too big, too much traffic, too many buildings, not enough trees, the land is flat, and I could go on and on. There is no comparison between OKC and Springfield.
Okie dokie...thanks for clearin' that up for me! Maybe we'll get a chance to meet you at one of our OTFCC gatherings someday...if you can get away, of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Mrs. G...the "Whole Foods" market that was in Springfield was NOT a part of the chain, and was no resemblance. Just thought you'd want to know.

Someday...
Whew! Well, thanks for the info, L J! I should've known you would have an answer for that!

Old 06-25-2008, 09:37 AM

23 posts, read 86,389 times
We moved here a year ago and have no children in school now. I love the slower pace. Drugs do seem to be more talked about here, but having moved from a VERY large metro area, I feel that they are not more than any other area this size and placed along a major interstate (I-44). Housing is cheaper and we moved to the country so we can do as we want without alot of 'rules' for subdivisions. Meeting new people has been a challange since no kids at the house now, but are working on it. Just make yourself availabe as often as you can. Come and visit and ask the locals when you are here. Call the school district and ask for their ratings as I wouldn't know how they compare. Wages are lower here though, but it sound like you have made plans for that.

Old 06-25-2008, 07:41 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,468,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
Yes, there are Trader Joe's AND Whole Foods in St. Louis...and we're developing a network of peeps that haul groceries back for each other whenever they go... We've all been going to the websites to request TJ's here...they know we're out here...

Country girls can survive...
Wow, that's great. I like that kind of cooperation...So, maybe they'll put a store in Springfield, or Branson? Wouldn't that be nice... I visited the area two years ago, and from reading this thread, things really seem to be growing there (or, should I say, spreading out)!

Old 06-26-2008, 02:07 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,278 times
Hey, Huntman58!

I have made several attempts to write a personal response to your post but computer issues have made them disappear when shutting down my software for another issue. I'm going to try one more time by saying that I have never had one negative word or even "a bad look" by anyone about me being from California even though I'd been told I might.

I have not found the people here to be very friendly but once you start a conversation, they usually are. When shopping, they seem to keep their eyes down and almost seem to distrust you when you say, "Hi" or something because they often don't respond at all. Maybe they're just not used to it.

Smiles often don't get a smile response, either. It's weird. They're not glaring at you or anything...it's more like they don't see you or know you and they've been taught not to talk to strangers. But, as I said, I've never had a negative conversation of any sort. I hope that helps.

As usual, all we really have are our own experiences. I can't speak for others but having been from CA, my husband and I found Californians to be much friendlier. Of course, then there are the gangs and the meanies on the freeways and they're not exactly what you'd call friendly...so what're ya gonna do? People are people wherever you go...and there will be some of every sort everywhere. Even with what I've told you, we love it here and never want to go back.

Now, I'd better get outta here before I have another computer issue. If you ever come down to our neck of the woods, I hope you'll come to one of our OTFCC gatherings! We'd love to meet your and Mrs. Huntman58!

Old 06-27-2008, 09:09 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times
Default TJ's & Whole Foods...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Wow, that's great. I like that kind of cooperation...So, maybe they'll put a store in Springfield, or Branson? Wouldn't that be nice... I visited the area two years ago, and from reading this thread, things really seem to be growing there (or, should I say, spreading out)!
Several of us have been letting Trader Joe's know that they would be welcome...

They've said they don't do stand-alone stores, they like to have two or three in an area. Kansas City doesn't have any. So you never know, but I'm not holding my breath!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:02 PM

14 posts, read 50,985 times
Cool Is that true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Don't let a few jaded opinions get you down. As you spend time reading about this area (on this forum), I think you'll see that the vast majority of the people who live here are quite happy indeed.
Are you happy in Springfield? If it's anything like Jeff City, MO (my home town), that would be great. I'd even like living in a bigger city. Nothing against small towns, I just want to have more to do. If that's a laid-back, easy-going city, I'll be set. How's the jobs? easy to find a reasonable place to live? does Springfield have a rock scene? Do any good bands come to to town? Your opinion counts. Thanks!!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:15 PM

974 posts, read 1,586,760 times
tons of great rock concerts springfielder. i havent been to jeff city, but i do know springfield is rockin with things to do/see/hang out. and the concerts at the shrine are some of the best ive ever seen. hope that helps.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:02 PM

269 posts, read 666,687 times
I say pass on moving here - but the downtown is getting better and better.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:09 PM

14 posts, read 50,985 times
Thanks for your replies mrsgenealogy, Ciaerin, and dundermifflin. I'm visiting in a month. I'll give Springfield a chance. Can't be any worse than Indiana. Love those rock concerts and downtown getting better and better. I'm from Jeff City -- small town that tries to be a city but has plenty to do. I like St. Louis for a trip but too big city to live at. I miss Missoura -- time to come back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area