Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 10:16 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,653,278 times

Advertisements

So, do you have a date for your visit? I can't help but wonder if you'll be here for an OTFCC gathering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:37 AM

13 posts, read 34,877 times
I considered moving to Springfield years ago, but wound up going somewhere else. Now relocating to Springfield is back under consideration. I note that you have an excellent Farmer's Market in Springfield, and I am a gardening fool. I would be most interested in a rural location near Springfield that would welcome 'gardening fools' like myself. Which areas would be best for such a venture?

Old 08-07-2008, 04:41 PM

14 posts, read 50,985 times
Darlynn0217

Springfield's alright? I hope so because next Saturday I'm moving there. I'm from Jefferson City, if Sgf anything like Jeff City? If Springfield ain't like Bloomington, Indiana (where I've been stuck for the past year and a half), I'll like it a lot!!!

Old 08-07-2008, 04:53 PM

Cool I get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Bond View Post
As another poster stated, there are lots of people that just couldn't bear the thought of leaving here because it is home. Let me educate those less inclined to know about what life is like on a rock bottom income.
It takes MONEY to move. Lots of it in fact. You have to rent a house or an apartment where you are going and that will likely require first and last months rent, and a hefty damage deposit. Then there's all the little depostis like the electric, gas, and phone bills and such. And I haven't included all the other expenses that go along with it such as moving your things storage, etc. In all I would say that a move done right would set you back about $5000.00.
I'll tell you for a fact that it's not just so easy to "move out". I remember sitting across from my good friend at a restaurant once. I was IN TEARS because the $1000.00 I had saved for 1 year had just been wiped out because the wheel bearings on my old Jeep decided to go out.
I just kept saying "it's not fair!" over and over because I had been desperately trying to move out of there for 2 years and get a job that would pay me enough to live on. At the time I was working two jobs.
You may have money stuck in every nook and cranny about your place but the majority of those living there don't. I also don't have the luxury of having realtives who live in places where you can find descent employment. All my kin are locals (sadly).
I finally broke out but it took a divorce and some real prayer and tremedous chance taking. The door was opened for a split second and I picked up only what I needed and a little money in my pocket and left. But it took several years for that opportunity to come around.
Don't get me wrong, I like the Ozarks. It's the bright and shining spot in the state of missouri. But I simply couldn't live there any more because of the lousy pay.
Also I have a Master's degree but I could never find a job where I was offered more than $24,000. People can retire and live quite well there. But those people are making their money someplace else I assure you. Now you can survive on $24,000 a year but you can't save or enjoy any time off because after you've payed your bills and taxes there's none left.
I totally get it!! I've been stuck in Bloomington, Indiana for a year and a half and I just want to go home -- Missouri's home. I'm from Jeff City, but scared to go back to a small town. My family lives in Oklahoma City, so Springfield being between Jeff and OKC seems the happy medium. Indiana is not a fun place to work, live or play -- LET THAT BE A WARNING TO ALL!!! I don't care what I've read and heard about Springfield, it's not anywhere near as bad a Bloomington, Indiana. At least Springfield isn't brainwashed like Bloomington.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:55 PM

Talking gardening

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingnh View Post
I considered moving to Springfield years ago, but wound up going somewhere else. Now relocating to Springfield is back under consideration. I note that you have an excellent Farmer's Market in Springfield, and I am a gardening fool. I would be most interested in a rural location near Springfield that would welcome 'gardening fools' like myself. Which areas would be best for such a venture?
Anywhere but Bloomington, Indiana. Try Springfield, but see if their soil is acid or alkaline. Acid soil grows better plants.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:10 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,142 times
I think Springfield is pretty much the same as any other small city in the midwest or anywhere else. Crime exists everywhere but in my fairly short experience, it's no worse here than many many other places and a heck of a lot better than many if not most.
I've been coming here for 20+ years and have always felt pretty safe. Like anywhere else, there are areas I wouldn't go at night as a woman, but I can't think of any place in Springfield I wouldn't venture during the day. It's a nice little city that is growing up nicely for the most part.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:20 PM

Hey Shagadelic60: I'm not sure how old you are, but you may want to check out the Springfield NewComers Club for Women. Most of the women are over 40 but there are a few younger women who participate. I've found it a way to meet people and at least get out with other women once in a while. I actually met someone who lives fairly close to me thru this group. I would imagine it's a good networking group if you participate in the activities which include luncheons, diner club, garden club, etc. They also do volunteer work around the area. After I lost my husband a couple of months ago, several of the women reached out to me. And I have to say, my experience in this area has been exactly the opposite. I have found most people to be warm, friendly, and willing to help. I haven't run into anyone that is rude. I think the eye contact depends on the where....which is often the case no matter where one travels.

But we all certainly have our own experiences every where we go.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:24 PM

Can't tell by your profile but there is a Springfield Women's club for newcomers that has a garden club open to all members. There are also several garden clubs in the area so you won't have problems finding gardening fools...you may, however, have a problem finding the right piece of land for gardening. Lots of rocks unless you land on an old river bottom or someplace where the rocks are minimal. My dad is on an old river bottom on the lake has has a wonderful garden that grows EVERYTHING. Where I'm at (north of Branson) topsoil has to be brought in to have good soil...raised bed garden seems to work best.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,248 times
Just come here and spend a short while visitng. It's a great place to be. Nothing complicated, easy access to anywhere, really OK climate believe me. You simply have to test it.

Old 08-20-2008, 10:15 PM

17 posts, read 96,295 times
Default Life in SW MO

I don't believe you can find a better place to live. People are extremly nice and easy to get to know. People here are willing to help a friend in need and many times people they don't even know. No, you can't compare salery's here to any where else but you can't compair the cost of living either. People who live here forget a middle income house elsewhere is 500,000 and above. Here, that is unheard of. I think a middle income home here will average between 125,000 to 200,000. Property Tax here is nothing either compaired to any other city in USA. I was born and raised in KC and moved to SW Mo 15 yrs ago. We came to SW Mo all my life as this is where my parents were raised and we visited family and I spent summers here when I was growing up. I can tell you there is a huge difference in real estate and taxes between KC and SW Mo. One of the best things about SW Mo is basically no crime. You live anywhere else and that is all that is on the news 24/7. I believe this is one of the safest and most secure places to find. The crime has increased over the years, but it still is no comparison to other cities. Here we can count the murders in 1 yr on two hands. Elsewhere that happens in less than a week. When it comes to income. Well, I don't have a degree and didn't know anyone in small places to get the job I have. I make 38k a yr. My job allows me to visit with people that are moving to SW Mo from all directions. When asked why they have several reasons but the most popular are the price for real estate, the people and the beauty.

Last edited by Dare devil with a smile; 08-20-2008 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: income
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area