Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 08:14 PM

124 posts, read 111,965 times

Advertisements

I have family there so visit a lot. It’s not the worst place you can live, but not the best either. Housing is extremely affordable! The Nixa area has the highest rated public schools. Springfield does have several Catholic schools so you will be well served there. The demographics of Springfield have changed dramatically over the past 10 years but many people still feel it’s not diverse. I disagree and do not think your family would feel uncomfortable or experience any issues. Springfield is very friendly and has an easy going, college-youth, ‘artsy’ vibe especially near the core of the city. The suburbs are very sleepy and tend to serve only as bedroom communities for Springfield. You will not want for any type of restaurant—there are loads of options and almost all ethnicities are covered! Branson is less than an hour away and offers a lot of tourist experiences, like the Silver Dollar City theme park. Lots of beautiful lakes and recreational opportunities, too. Kansas City and St. Louis are easy day trips if you want some big city amenities like professional sports or high end shopping. Your family should come visit and see firsthand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 07:19 AM

147 posts, read 149,289 times
Thanks everyone, the interview process is moving forward so it looks like we may make a visit soon.

I'll be honest, I'm a little nervous for my kids. I'm pretty sure no one has ever called them oriental or that they would even know what that means. Looking online though it does look like there are some great restaurants and the cost of living is unbelievable coming from Boston. I'm sure the people are nice and hopefully welcoming. We're hoping for a quieter life but still have access to restaurants and some amenities.

A couple of questions. If we wanted to live in Springfield itself and not Nixa (which I think is our other option), where are the nicer areas? One of our goals is to drive as little as possible.

Also, does anyone know anything about the Greenwood Laboratory School? We're leaning towards Catholic because they've always gone to Catholic, but we have a really academic son who I thought might like the small environment of Greenwood. but I can't find anything about it really, their web site is lacking.

Old 01-12-2020, 01:00 AM

71 posts, read 78,837 times
A long time ago, (between 1990-1994) I was a student at Missouri State University. Coming from Kansas City, (where I currently live) I always considered Springfield a small town, which was kinda hard to get used to. Back then, I always found it hard to get around, since all the highways encircled the city and there was quite a bit of gridlock. The downtown was kinda boring, since most of the growth was spreading southward. Things had turned around quite a bit when I last visited there in 2008, but even since then, I've heard nothing but good things about the changes downtown. I hope that continues.

As far as religious or cultural things about Springfield...yes, it's fairly conservative, yes, outside of Missouri State University, it's fairly religious, but I think you'll be fine, as far as whatever you believe.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:55 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,299,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Approach cautiously. Springfield has it's good points, but I've been there, in a similar family (half asian, catholic) and I would never ever move back. I wanted out before my kids started school. Nothing is better than adequate...public or private. Diversity is lacking. How many times did people call my husband oriental? Too many to count. How many times was I approached in the Target parking lot by someone wanting to save me. I'm Catholic, I already believe...Catholic you say? You are going to hell...I don't know all this talk of Jehovah's witnesses? I mean, that's not a Springfield thing. They leave pamphlets (in Chinese even, they must do their homework), on our door in STL. But the people in the parking lots, that was a pretty Springfield thing. I will admit though, I am not a conservative...I'm more moderate with a liberal lean on social issues. I was never going to fit in there.
I have never been approached in parking lots in Springfield.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:02 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,299,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy2017 View Post
Thanks Arby! This is really helpful and quite reassuring. I didn't realize the area has grown so quickly. Our major concerns when moving to a new area are just being able to make new friends and have our kids included. We have a lot of general faith in humanity and have never had a problem to date. In fact, the Boston burbs with all of it's "sophistication" has been the least friendly place we've lived but no one's been nasty to us either.

One more question, that I hope is terribly out of date. I lived in the St Louis suburbs for a few years as a kid and I remember that the little girl across the street wasn't allowed to play with me because she was Baptist and I was Catholic. Now, this is 35yrs ago, I assume that kind of thing isn't common? We never encountered it in Nashville.
That may have been the parents and not the norm, I’m southern Baptist and my best friend was/is catholic and I dated a boy who was catholic while in High school, My parents loved both o
F them, but encouraged me to marry my own faith. If I did choose to marry my catholic boyfriend he would have been considered part of the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area