Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:57 PM

14 posts, read 53,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
ALL the gas stations close about 9 pm so you risk running out of gas if you need it later than that (on Sunday, many of them close at 7pm).

Another "culture shock" experience came when, around here, everything is about who you know. Again coming from a big city environment where you never new anybody, around here, everybody knows everybody else (and their business), so if you don't play the good-old-boy game and get to know folks, you will never get anywhere. This also includes going to church. Where I lived before, nobody knew or cared where you went to church. Around here, well, it is very important, politically speaking.

It's definitely a different world.
You are so right. I remember traveling at night and almost running out of gas, not being able to find a gas station open. That is why I love Phoenix so much - at 3 Am you can find anything.

it gets very dark in spfld too. You can be in someones back yard on a moonless night and hardly see your shoes. In Phoenix everything casts shadows at night from the ambient lighting.

In spfld and the area you are being watched. If you are anybody of any importance word gets around.

Quite literally, the first few months I lived there I was out on the street working on my car. SOmeone drove by and honked. I thought it was an angry honk (coming from Phoenix) because I was out on the street sticking out. I flipped them off. The very next monday, a truck driver whose last name was Buffington said something literally like "My mothers hair dresser, said her grandsons uncle, was talking to his fiancee and she told him that her sister was driving by you while you were working on your car and she honked to say howdy...and you flipped them off. is that true?" I realized 2 things real fast : 1) honking is how people say howdy when driving 2) whatever you do will get around town FAST.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 12:02 AM

55 posts, read 222,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxOx View Post
You are so right. I remember traveling at night and almost running out of gas, not being able to find a gas station open. That is why I love Phoenix so much - at 3 Am you can find anything.

it gets very dark in spfld too. You can be in someones back yard on a moonless night and hardly see your shoes. In Phoenix everything casts shadows at night from the ambient lighting.

In spfld and the area you are being watched. If you are anybody of any importance word gets around.

Quite literally, the first few months I lived there I was out on the street working on my car. SOmeone drove by and honked. I thought it was an angry honk (coming from Phoenix) because I was out on the street sticking out. I flipped them off. The very next monday, a truck driver whose last name was Buffington said something literally like "My mothers hair dresser, said her grandsons uncle, was talking to his fiancee and she told him that her sister was driving by you while you were working on your car and she honked to say howdy...and you flipped them off. is that true?" I realized 2 things real fast : 1) honking is how people say howdy when driving 2) whatever you do will get around town FAST.
Whatever you do will get around your social circle fast. You can live in Springfield/Branson your whole life and not meet a person or even know they exist. Generally Catholics and Protestants are pretty much segragated social circles and not much communicative. The police are a different matter as well as some churches of the same denomination communicate. As I recall I could pretty much keep as private a life as I wanted while I lived there. A person's perception of you however is another matter. Depending on your lifestyle, the car you drive, place you live will have people sterotyping you all over the place but thats true anywhere. I just found that lots of people had all kinds of assumptions about me because of my outward trappings and lifestyle (surf bum) which was more a reflection of my socioeconomic status and my day job than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area