Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 03:12 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,977 times

Advertisements

Salsa and chips, pretzels and honey mustard...all sound good to me.
Fried dill pickles and honey mustard....yum.
Grilled cheese on apple bread with a whole roasted New Mex. chile...ymmmm!
Chili and cornbread...yummo.
chili and a cinnamon roll.....willing try anythiing, but just doesn't sound like
a good match.

I'll let you plan the next menu anytime my dear Curmie. How's life down in the south area anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 08:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
chili and a cinnamon roll.....willing try anythiing, but just doesn't sound like
a good match.

I'll let you plan the next menu anytime my dear Curmie. How's life down in the south area anyway?
It's gotten a lot better since someone turned the heater down and turned off the misters. Still doin' stuff around the house but it's finally fully furnished so next comes window treatments, indoor paint and landscaping. We get out and about, exploring and discovering where it is we now call home and that's fun.

Sometime after the first of the year (May at the earliest, weather-wise) we'll take a driving trip back to CA to visit friends and family. Our route will be one neither of us has taken before so it will be quite an adventure.

How are thing in your life? Isn't it grand that the weather has finally turned?

Old 09-08-2010, 08:24 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,261 times
Quote:
a good match.

Oh tell me more about fried dill pickles

Old 09-08-2010, 09:09 PM

62 posts, read 130,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2lucky View Post
Hello my friends

I'm from Nebraska as well, and I can't say that I've ever heard of or known anyone who eats chili this way. Although to the poster from Iowa, I also remember them serving cinnamon rolls on the same day as chili, but never saw anyone eat them together. Nothing is strange to me anymore. I like corn chips dipped in mustard, and pepperoni mixed with cottage cheese. And, my hubby is from Massachusetts, and up there, they eat pork chops with applesauce on top. He's a culinary student and swears that applesauce is a SAUCE and therefore meant to be put on things. I swear that it's a SAUCE made out of APPLES and that it's disgusting to eat it on top of pork chops. But, whatevs.

Bec
Roast pork or chops with apple sauce is pretty much an international dish.
I have been in plenty of homes, here and abroad where they use jars of baby food strained apple as the sauce.
I agree with Curmudgeon, apple sauce with cinnamon. I like the pork chops grilled with some soy, honey marinate.
Oh dear, now I have to eat ! TTFN.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,985,212 times
I'm from central Indiana (Martinsville) and we always had chili and cinnimon rolls on the school menu. They even had special chili and roll dinners for fuindraisers.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:26 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
That sounds disgusting to me (no offense to those who enjoy it). I haven't seen that in MO and I hope I never do.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:13 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
Dishes I've only had in Missouri.....

Squirrel and dumplings
Rabbit and dumplings
Frog legs and fried eggs
beer battered catfish with hushpuppies

Old 09-11-2010, 12:26 PM

158 posts, read 376,296 times
Default Normal? What's normal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm game!

Corn chips belong in queso, salsa or quacamole and some casseroles.
Definitely agree with Curmudgeon on this - however, don't think I could handle the chili and cinnamon rolls or the melon with gravy. I'm originally from Iowa and don't remember ever seeing anyone combine chili with anything sweet like that.

On the other hand, during my all-too-brief relationship with Pammy Sue (also from Iowa) I once watched in horror as she poured ketchup and tobasco sauce all over her scrambled eggs and pancakes at IHOP.

Sigh, I miss you Pammy Sue, but not your tobasco-powered belches!

Sniff ... excuse me while I give a listen to Ozzy's "Goodbye to Romance"...

Old 09-13-2010, 09:35 AM

879 posts, read 2,878,977 times
Red face Ummmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Dishes I've only had in Missouri.....

Squirrel and dumplings
Rabbit and dumplings
Frog legs and fried eggs
beer battered catfish with hushpuppies
My dad was a hunter (in CA) and we regularly ate frog legs, rabbit (we raised those), and batter fried cat fish with hushpuppies. I have to admit though, I had ny first Squirrel in Arkansas. The most weird thing though was in Colorado...had fried snake...Well, now that I think about it, maybe the weirdest thing was the chocolate covered ants in Wyoming...my dad fed us that one.

The worst, from a mental viewpoint, was in Monfoort Holland....had a "traditional" Dutch dish that included horse-meat. Fortunately, they didn't tell what I had me what I had eaten till the next day.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:50 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
The worst, from a mental viewpoint, was in Monfoort Holland....had a "traditional" Dutch dish that included horse-meat. Fortunately, they didn't tell what I had me what I had eaten till the next day.
Well, when I was in Korea there was a reason you hardly ever saw a stray dog in a village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area