Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 05:53 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

Today, just for the "fun of it" I checked out a Branson ticketing company to see what kinds of shows are going on these days (I'm a little out of touch). There is quite a variety of what looks like great entertainment.

But holy smoke - the prices!

I am gobsmacked to see the prices that these Branson music shows are charging. Have they lost their senses? $40 - $60 per person? Things have certainly changed since 10-15 years ago when you could get into a show for less than $20.

Now before you jump on the "prices are going up everywhere" bandwagon, let me remind you that I have been involved in the Branson entertainment industry in various capacities for a very long time. And the entertainers I know personally are NOT making twice what they were making 10 or 15 years ago. In fact, they aren't making much more at all.

Oh yes, I know, that electricity is more expensive, and equipment is more expensive and the soap that goes in the ladies room is more expensive yada yada yada. But a music show that used to make $4,000 per show (at 200 people for $20 each) Now, at $40 per person, they are making upwards of $8,000 per show - you can buy an awful lot of soap for $8,000. Not to mention that MOST theaters run two shows a day, six days a week, which comes up with gross revenue of $48,000 per week!

I guess the point I am trying to make is that pretty soon, particularly with a "less than ideal" economy, Branson is going to price itself right out of the market. Most folks who come here stay three days and usually watch *at least* one show (and often two) per day. Couple that with lodging costs (figure $100 per night), and $100 per day for meals for two people and NOT EVEN CONSIDERING GASOLINE PRICES. Lots of people are simply going to be staying home.

I wonder why some of the theaters have not figured out that if they cut rates, they will get more business. (Assuming the show is at least half-way good).

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 08:20 PM

164 posts, read 984,791 times
Its all about what drives America.................GREED.

Its becoming a society of haves and have nots. The middle class is doomed.

Old 08-09-2008, 12:53 AM

23 posts, read 91,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Today, just for the "fun of it" I checked out a Branson ticketing company to see what kinds of shows are going on these days (I'm a little out of touch). There is quite a variety of what looks like great entertainment.

But holy smoke - the prices!

I am gobsmacked to see the prices that these Branson music shows are charging. Have they lost their senses? $40 - $60 per person? Things have certainly changed since 10-15 years ago when you could get into a show for less than $20.

Now before you jump on the "prices are going up everywhere" bandwagon, let me remind you that I have been involved in the Branson entertainment industry in various capacities for a very long time. And the entertainers I know personally are NOT making twice what they were making 10 or 15 years ago. In fact, they aren't making much more at all.

Oh yes, I know, that electricity is more expensive, and equipment is more expensive and the soap that goes in the ladies room is more expensive yada yada yada. But a music show that used to make $4,000 per show (at 200 people for $20 each) Now, at $40 per person, they are making upwards of $8,000 per show - you can buy an awful lot of soap for $8,000. Not to mention that MOST theaters run two shows a day, six days a week, which comes up with gross revenue of $48,000 per week!

I guess the point I am trying to make is that pretty soon, particularly with a "less than ideal" economy, Branson is going to price itself right out of the market. Most folks who come here stay three days and usually watch *at least* one show (and often two) per day. Couple that with lodging costs (figure $100 per night), and $100 per day for meals for two people and NOT EVEN CONSIDERING GASOLINE PRICES. Lots of people are simply going to be staying home.

I wonder why some of the theaters have not figured out that if they cut rates, they will get more business. (Assuming the show is at least half-way good).

20yrsinBranson
The only reason that Branson was a hot vacation spot for a long time is that it WAS affordable. Lots of the "vacationers" were actually people who lived not so far away and would come to Branson for a little R&R. I noticed the prices surging in years past and began wondering what people were actually thinking. Its sad that the profits aren't being realized by the workers down there. Branson is becoming like anywhere else in that people eventually get greedy. I remember when all I had to do to get into SDC for free was to flash my local paystub, or even show my local drivers licence to a theater and I would get in for free. Not so anymore. Sure the cost of business goes up but I'll bet the theaters and restaurants aren't paying people increased wages over what they were 4 or 5 years ago. And lets be honest, for the money that you'd have to spend in gas and lodging you could come up with a much better overall vacation than you could have in Branson. I've traveled to other places and, WOW! There are other cool places to take a vacation....imagine that! Yeah if you ask me this is eventually going to bite em in the butt.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:09 PM

879 posts, read 2,879,193 times
Default Revenue vs cost

From our side of the fence that sounds high, but from the other side I'm sure it's a different story. I know that there are 72 people involved in the production of Shoji's show. Plus the cost of concessions, security, business taxes, city taxes, corp. taxes. Oh yea, and don't forget the oh-so friendly insurance companies....building insurance and liability insurance...the latter going up in double digit %'s yearly. Just liability insurance alone can drive a business out of business.

And don't forget, that as locals we often get discounts and for some shows, we can get in free.

As far as an inexpensive destination it's all relative. Las Vegas shows...even the cheap ones are $75 now. The better shows are often $150-$200 and up.
Broadway tickets?...about the same as Las Vegas.

Yep, prices have gone up but at least we have the options which is better than a lot of other places where the sidewalks roll up at 7:00.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:36 PM

974 posts, read 1,587,448 times
where would one look to find the discounted shows/tickets or free ones? i recently moved to the reeds spring area and want to take the kids to something before the school year starts.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:42 AM

30 posts, read 93,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
where would one look to find the discounted shows/tickets or free ones? i recently moved to the reeds spring area and want to take the kids to something before the school year starts.
Depends on where you work usually. Just call the show and ask about local discounts.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:52 PM

321 posts, read 838,378 times
I find myself wanting to go to Eureka Springs more than Branson for the get-a-way weekends. Maybe it's just personal preference. Everything has risen, cost wise, so I really don't think that plays into near as much.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:16 PM

17 posts, read 96,325 times
Default Branson Shows

I agree with you 100%. The shows increased their fare within the last 48 months. Not sure where the money is going or who is getting rich.

As seen on the news... The only cheap family vacation anymore is a tent and sleeping bags in a rent free camp ground.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:03 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,428,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare devil with a smile View Post
I agree with you 100%. The shows increased their fare within the last 48 months. Not sure where the money is going or who is getting rich.
MrsC nailed it. The cost of running a business has gone up a lot over the last few years. Many people only look at the ticket prices and assume that the owners are getting rich with the price increases. While that is sometimes true, it's not the norm. The people running the shows are not foolish. They know that people are curbing their spending. If margins were as high as some of you propose, you'd see price wars erupting to attract customers. The reason that isn't happening is because those huge margins probably aren't there to begin with. Just my $.02

Old 08-23-2008, 11:40 AM

238 posts, read 624,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
Look in your local paper regularly. They will be advertised as "Area Appreciation" shows. Different venues advertise them at different dates throughout the year. (Usually in the slower seasons.) Often you can get $40+ tickets for $5 or less. Sometimes even free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area