U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 06:50 PM

72 posts, read 198,686 times

Advertisements

nostress you can find out the water and air on <removed>
it is pretty darn good in Springfield. The air is Los Angeles is rated a 1 out of 100 being best and Springfield rates a 35. The national average is only 48 so not too many places are better. You can find out alot of other info on that website as well. It has alot of info this one does not. check it out. I just got back from Springfield where I spent 5 days checking it out. I went at the end of a coldspell that is highly unusual but near the end of my trip the weather wasn't bad 58*. Springfield was smaller then I expected but seemed to have everything you would need except of course my Trader Joes. Overall I liked it and we have decided to make the move, I only hope I can tolerate the weather that was ny only real concern. Everyone was so nice and friendly. My husbands 2 friends from high school and college moved there and some of there family did as well so at least we would know someone. Houses were a bargain for you money. My husband accepted a job offer there so as soon as our house sells here we will be leaving and adding to the mass exodus of Californians.

Last edited by Ozarks21; 02-22-2007 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: the rules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 05:49 AM

723 posts, read 1,431,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripster2 View Post
nostress you can find out the water and air on <removed>
I think probably gripster2 is referring to <removed> . It's got all sorts of useful information about places (by name, or even by zip code).

Quote:
I just got back from Springfield where I spent 5 days checking it out. I went at the end of a coldspell that is highly unusual but near the end of my trip the weather wasn't bad 58*. Springfield was smaller then I expected but seemed to have everything you would need except of course my Trader Joes.
We weren't able to make it up there over Mardi Gras after all, due to last minute changes in work schedule. Oh well. When we visited last year, I was surprised at how big Springfield is! Guess we all had some pre-conceived ideas about it. As for Trader Joe's - - I am thinking that with St. Louis being close enough for a "day trip", you could run up there once or twice a month and get non-perishable items there if that would make you feel more at home.

Quote:
Overall I liked it and we have decided to make the move, I only hope I can tolerate the weather that was ny only real concern.
Wonderful!! I am glad you liked it. I am sure you will get used to the weather after a while. I have mostly lived in non-freezing locations as well so I can relate to your concern. I think the adjustment will be worth it, though. Be sure to dress for the seasons.

Quote:
Everyone was so nice and friendly. My husbands 2 friends from high school and college moved there and some of there family did as well so at least we would know someone.
Wonderful! That might help in the transition. People do seem very friendly in Springfield.

Quote:
Houses were a bargain for your money. My husband accepted a job offer there so as soon as our house sells here we will be leaving and adding to the mass exodus of Californians.
That is great (that he has a job there already)!. The low housing prices are a major reason why we want to retire in Springfield. Probably we will be adding to the mass exodus of New Orleanians in a couple of years. Over half did not come back after the hurricane; I think most of them moved to Houston and Atlanta, but we really like Springfield.

My parents grew up in Springfield, although I never lived there. They went to Central High and Drury. Then they left in the early 1930's, looking for more opportunity. They had a burning desire to see the world and get out of what they viewed as a hick town at that time. Obviously Springfield has changed for the better in the past 75 years! It is not another Paris or Rome (or Los Angeles), but then few places are. Like you, I think it is a delightful place with a lot more "plusses" than "minuses".

Last edited by Ozarks21; 02-22-2007 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: the rules

Old 02-22-2007, 10:56 PM

6 posts, read 12,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I'm sorry your experience was so bad! But your post is full of errors with regard to facts!! Kansas City is much warmer than Springfield in the summer, so is most of Missouri. The reason being that Springfield is on top of the Ozark Plateau. It's a documented fact!
Chiggers do not burrow into your skin. They are a temporary issue and when they bite, they inject a saliva that dissolves tissue which also forms a straw-like structure they use to suck the "juice" out with. Then they're gone. Once you feel the itch, the chigger is long gone. The itch is caused by an allergic reaction to the saliva of the chigger. It does not burrow under the skin at all.
The only way you'll get chigger bites is running around in tall grass or brush. The ticks aren't different from ticks anywhere else either. They cement themselves to you? First I ever heard of that. I've had a couple try to latch onto me, one I picked up in a field looking at acreage. It held on tightly for sure, but that was it's legs. There was no 'bonding' glue!!
As for dental, etc. Springfield is probably one of the most medically sophisticated cities for its size in the Midwest! Superb hospitals, medical centers, including a Cancer Research center, first rate clinics, and lots of dentists.
Now for experiences unrelated to verifiable facts:
My relatives came from California and LOVED it here! They want to build on land near me. My parents fell instantly in love with Southwest Missouri because of its beauty.
I live in the country and I have yet to see a snake.
Meth is not a general problem. There are meth addicts and an occasional lab found for sure, but it's isolated to certain elements and the Police have done a great job clearing out the labs that come up.
The white population is about 90% in Springfield itself and probably closer to 99% outside of town it's true. It's very white here. But...I've noticed other races and no one I've talked to has ever spoken disparagingly about other races.
I have friends who are a gay couple too who live in an older neighborhood off Kimbrough who fly a large rainbow flag from a flagpole in their backyard. They have no problems. People are fairly conservative, true, but also respectful.
Personal hygiene issues? I haven't noticed any difference between people here and people in California or anywhere else I've ever lived. I think that's just a frankly untrue statement. It certainly isn't my experience or anyone else's I know here.
And I dispute the claim that people here are poor...I haven't seen much poverty here. It's true some people are poor, but my impression coming here was the reverse...how prosperous it looks. And people here are hardly hick. They do not spell Arkansas with a 'w', and they go all over the world. My neighbors go all over the country and take 'romantic' trips to Hawaii. My other friends just got back from a culinary tour of Italy. Another friend just came back from an Alaskan cruise, and my neighbors across the road went to the Bahamas for the ice storm with their kids.
It's also untrue that people here are uneducated. That is a bold misstatement. Springfield is full of private colleges and learning institutes, including a University of Phoenix location, plus the State University of Missouri campus which is huge. It also has live theater and a thriving art culture. It's rather sophisticated in my experiences.
I had no culture shock moving here fyi and tornadoes are rare, so rare I doubt you've even seen a whirling cloud.
Your broad sweeping generalizations reflect perhaps a segment of people that most of us don't know or experience here and one has to ask why you do?
I think most people here and who know Springfield would find your review completely alien and foreign to their experiences and reality of facts.
I recommend L.A. for you too!! Paradise!
I have been to Springfield, MO once, and I really like it. I am thinking about relocating to the area, but many of the comments I read do reflect on what our friend SORCERER68 mentioned. If you go to Sperling's Bestplace, you would see many of the posters there portrayed Springfield as an unheallthy community. It seems like people who live long enough in this community don't see anything wrong with it whereas new comers see problems and issues need to be taking care of. Certainly, there are pros and cons everywhere, but I would not live in a place where the cons outweigh the pros.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:03 PM

2,813 posts, read 9,363,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernguy View Post
I have been to Springfield, MO once, and I really like it. I am thinking about relocating to the area, but many of the comments I read do reflect on what our friend SORCERER68 mentioned. If you go to Sperling's Bestplace, you would see many of the posters there portrayed Springfield as an unheallthy community. It seems like people who live long enough in this community don't see anything wrong with it whereas new comers see problems and issues need to be taking care of. Certainly, there are pros and cons everywhere, but I would not live in a place where the cons outweigh the pros.
You wouldn't live in a place where the cons outweighed the pros???
What an unusual man you are... The rest of us naturally picked Springfield only because the cons outweighed the pros ....

Old 02-23-2007, 07:22 AM

100 posts, read 339,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernguy View Post
That isn't a very accurate cross section of the opinions of the population, however. They tell you in sales that a satisfied customer will tell 2 other people, a dissatisfied one will tell 20.

People have a tendancy to post bad experiences more quickly that they post good. I wouldn't take much stock in it.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:04 PM

6 posts, read 12,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
You wouldn't live in a place where the cons outweighed the pros???
What an unusual man you are... The rest of us naturally picked Springfield only because the cons outweighed the pros ....
Wow! interesting. Cons outweighed pros? More negatives than positives? Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm just an crazy Asian who is trying to improve his English here and looking for a better place to live. Can't stand winter up here anymore.

Totally agree with Randy.

Thanks.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:55 PM

11 posts, read 39,394 times
Default I live in springfield and am getting ready to move to Southern California

How difficult is it to adapt to the cold winters?

I moved here from atlanta in 6th grade and I'm still not used to the winters. Plus I'm sure you heard on the national news about how we were declared a national disaster area because our winter was so bad it shut dow the entire city for almost two weeks!

How about the humidity in the summer?

The summers here are pretty short, but they pretty nice all the way through with the exception of the last 2 years where we've had record heat waves of 110+ degree's in July and the humidity is so bad you have to wear swimming trunks to walk out your front door.

Was it a culture shock?

Of all your concerns this sould be the biggest! Here's a basic overview of the GENERAL population: EXTREMELY CONSERVATIVE, narrow minded, very religous, the schools are extremely clickish so moving in can be hard unless your kids are very active in sports then life for them will be pretty good, but what else can you expect from the bible belt?

Fear of tornados?

As long as you don't live in Battlefield, MO you'll be fine.

We have kids in Boy Scouts and soccer. Are there ample opportunities for the kids to be involved in these activities?

There's not a whole lot in the way of souts, but as much soccer as their little hearts desire. Plus as I said before if the're involved in school sports the transition will be much easier.

I am currently a very involved parent and have found good schools in Strafford and Rogersville so looking in these areas.

The absolute 2 best schools in the area are Nixa High School in Nixa, MO (10min south of springfield) and Kickapoo HS in the heart of the southside of Springfield. Both of these schools have been recognized by the state, Nixa ranking in the top 10 public schools in missouri every year(3rd two years ago).

How hard is it to fit in when you are the new kid on the block?

Depends on where they go and if they play sports. I graduated 3 years ago and I went to two different schools in the Southwest Missouri (moved to Nixa HS for more opportunity because I had taken every advanced class Hurley Schools offered by my Sophmore year). I'm currently attending Missouri State University and as soon as I graduate I'm moving to SoCal. So I have a good (and current) knowledge of the high schools in the area. One thing I can tell you taking your kids to one of those two hick schools you mentioned is a bad idea. First off people here have a general distrust of people for California (probably because of their liberal views) and schools that small are going to be hard for your children to intagrate into. Plus most of the people that far out in the country HATE outsiders (and all other change for that matter). Most of them will have several generations of their family within 15 mins and so the high schools are flooded with 5 or 6 last names. I may sound a little cinical, but I happened to be a very exceptional basketball player when I moved to Hurley (a TOWN just like the TOWNS of Strafford and Rogersville) and so I was pretty well accepted, but I watched many families move and be run off my the locals. In short if you sent them to one of these backwater school not only will they get a VERY POOR education, but you will be giving them a SOCIAL death sentence. Also I'm pretty sure neither of those schools have soccer programs. If your looking for good schools where they will be accepted and enjoy their school years as well as getting a good education and have the opportunity to play any sport they want not to mention a school where college scouts actually look for player then I'll give you a list of the top 6 schools to look into. I've ordered them from 1. being the best choice on down. I hope this helps

1. Nixa High School. Nixa, MO
2. Kickapoo High School. Springfield, MO
3. Glendale High School. Springfield, MO
4. Ozark High School. Ozark, MO
5. Parkview High School. Springfield, MO
6. Republic High School. Republic, MO

P.S. Springfield's Southside is the Good side of town

Old 02-24-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the information. Regarding the humidity you mention air conditioning in homes and cars, does that mean you can't go outside much as it is unbearable? I don't want to be stuck inside during the winter because of the cold and summer because of the humidity. I am an outdoors person and am concerned about this. Any opinions?
If you're an outdoors person the Ozarks can be beautiful, but the winters are unbearably cold!

Old 02-24-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Couldn't be more true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
I'm an L.A. native who also lived on the Central Coast. I lived in MO for exactly 9 months. One winter did me in. I couldn't do it. I packed my stuff and left at the end of February that year, headed straight for Florida where I thawed out. I found the Missouri summer unbearable. May and October are the only bearable months weather wise. I sweated continuously from June to September. If you live outside of town, ticks and chiggers will latch to you. Chiggers can live in your lawn, shrubs and woods and are tiny little creatures that latch onto you and burrow under your skin and cause terrible itching. Ticks will find their way into your armpits and genital areas, attaching with a cement like substance. I still have a scar from one in a private place. There are also lots of snakes.

Culture shock...like you wouldn't believe. You'll miss things you didn't realise you even liked. Most people hadn't ever heard of most of the things I liked. None of our relatives who visited from other states would come back.

It wasn't all bad. I found many people genuinely nice. The "redneck" undercurrent was a little scary. Missouri was the first place I ever heard someone use the "N" word and really mean it. Expect low levels of education, people who have never been anywhere or read anything and lots and lots of poverty. I was shocked at the lack of dental care and rampant bad personal hygene. Lots of adults spell Arkansas with a "w" on the end. Illiteracy is sadly common. I'm not saying all people are like this, there are educated, decent people as well. Meth is a terrible problem in Springfield. If you like lots and lots of white people, you'll be happy. I missed cultural diversity. Public school was surprisingly decent. There was a great sense of community. Antiques are dirt cheap. There are some beautiful old houses and a few cute storefronts. Fall is very pretty. Our neighbors were very nice and had a wonderful sense of community. Most of them had lived there all their lives and had never been further than northern Arkansas and northeastern Oklahoma. The Ozarks can be quite scenic and houses are cheap. Some of the small towns to the east are really cute with old fashioned town squares. West Plains has pretty houses. Houses in Southern Mo are cheap for a reason...

Yes, there are lots of tornados. I thought they were cool but know that Springfield is in Tornado Alley. Before you make your move, take a look at Kansas City. Summers aren't quite as hot and much less humid and it doesn't have the shortcomings I listed above with the exception of the bone chilling winters. It has great culture and is really beautiful and very liveable. I know many transplants who are happy there and consider it a hidden gem.

Good luck wherever you end up. I'm moving back to L.A. and never leaving again.
This is dead on what Springfield, MO is like!

Old 02-24-2007, 06:13 PM

723 posts, read 1,431,947 times
Default A different description of Springfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rytawi View Post
This is dead on what Springfield, MO is like!
I just finished describing Springfield on a retirement message board, in answer to a retiree in Tampa who was curious about my planned retirement destination. Hope what I said was fair. I've only visited there twice, for a week each time, so my knowledge of the area is just as a visitor and outsider, not as a resident. So, this based on my initial impressions only. Please feel free to point out mistakes or disagree.

Here's what I had to say (thanks to Bill Gates for the copy/paste function!):

Springfield met our criteria, which were:
1) very, very cheap housing and low cost of living
2) town between 50,000 and 250,000, adequate medical care but remote
3) far away from hurricanes
4) reasonably low crime
5) as warm a climate and as "southern" a feel to the local culture as the above criteria would allow

It also happens to be where my grandparents lived, though I have no more relatives there and hadn't been there since around 1962. We went there twice last year, for a week each time.

People there are nice and friendly, and the culture is a delightful combination of midwestern and southern. It is a highly conservative, highly Christian community. In fact, the international headquarters of 7th day adventists is there. We are not religious, so that is not much of a "plus" for us, but we do tend to be politically conservative. There is virtually zero racial, ethnic, or cultural diversity there so that might turn some people off. A recent matter of steamy debate in Springfield was whether or not to begin banning those under 21 from bars entirely. College students wanted to get in and listen to the music (and probably sneak a drink), but the decision was made and now they cannot do that in Springfield until reaching 21.

Springfield has one normal sized mall, and a bunch of slightly tacky strip malls. The Bass Pro Shop is a local attraction, as it is the original and very large. There is no Trader Joe's and it does not have many of the conveniences that Californians and other coastal dwellers might desire. The economy seems reasonably healthy for a small town that is not near a city. It has the usual "big box" stores like Home Depot and BB&B (no Linens 'n' Things, though), a modest Barnes & Noble, and not one but two Hobby Lobbies. Universities include Drury and Missouri State U., both of which are pretty small, and a half dozen tiny religious colleges. There are walking trails and parks throughout the town.

The region is hilly since it is in the Ozarks, with lakes, streams, forests, and karst topography that is susceptible to sinkhole development due to the limestone dissolving along underground rivers. To me, the natural beauty all around is a big plus. Weather is very extremely hot and humid in the summer, with snow and ice off and on in the winter, so there is definitely a change in season, and they are subject to tornados like many midwestern states. New Orleans has prepared me well for the summer heat and humidity, but I will have to learn about living in sub-freezing temperatures and snow.

The north side of town is mostly older, deteriorating frame houses, and what crime they have tends to be there. The south side has a number of new developments just outside of town. Springfield is not far from Branson, which has some very upscale communities. Springfield is about 3-3.5 hours from St. Louis on I-44. Locals complain bitterly about rush hour traffic along main streets within Springfield and clamor that something must be done. It didn't look THAT bad to me, but then I wasn't in a hurry to get to work or anything.

Last edited by NOLA2SGF; 02-24-2007 at 06:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area