U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 05:15 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,310,069 times

Advertisements

In October we, wife and myself, are coming to Nixa and Ozark to look for a home to buy. I personally like Nixa because of the schools, so we will probably push ourselves for Nixa. We will see. Any advice from anyone about those areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 01:43 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,554,055 times
What kind of advice are you looking for? I'd be glad to try and help.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:18 PM

144 posts, read 488,515 times
We previously lived in Ozark and LOVED it! Corporate relocation sent my husband to Joplin and I kick myself everyday for moving. Nixa is also very nice, but we just really preferred Ozark. It had a rural vibe, a cute historic downtown, nice city park, and some typical businesses (Lowes, Walmart, Walgreens, various restaurants, etc). But then it didn't feel so rural because it was 6 minutes north to Springfield and 20 minutes south to Branson.

I don't know, I grew up in the country. So Ozark felt "homey" to us. It has great schools too!! I am a teacher, so I consider myself kind of an expert You will enjoy either community, but don't discount Ozark yet. It's a very nice little town. Great people there too. If I ever get the chance to move back (via corporate transfer again) we will NOT move again. No way.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:39 PM

I figured on coming to the area the first part of October but we have decided to wait until this bank fiasco settles out a bit. If we find a place or decide to buy then I really don't want any problems with getting a loan. Because of that I am putting our trip off for just a bit.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:05 PM

Well, my wife and I went and talked to our bank and they said that we would have no problem getting a loan because they said that we have excellent credit. That means that we are going to go ahead and take the trip to the southwestern part of MO and have a look around. We plan on staying a couple of weks for now, might make it a bit longer if we actually find something we would like to buy. See all of you in that part of MO next week sometime.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:42 PM

1,618 posts, read 3,215,389 times
Hey, let us know you're here and maybe a few of us can get together! If you don't have internet access, just head over to a library. They've all got access.
The one in Springfield is easy to find. It's on Campbell a.k.a. Hwy 160 just south of Hwy. 60 a.k.a. James River Freeway, on the west side of the street.
Hahahaaa! How confusing does that sound???!!! Well, trust me...it really is easy.

Here's a link to their hours and locations page: Library Locations & Hours

Here's a link to a map, too. You have to use a little side street to get back to it but it is clearly visible from Campbell...even from the freeway. Rand McNally Online Maps

Anyway, if we don't hear from you, I hope you have a safe and profitable trip!

Old 10-04-2008, 09:34 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,686,881 times
Wink More info?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
In October we, wife and myself, are coming to Nixa and Ozark to look for a home to buy. I personally like Nixa because of the schools, so we will probably push ourselves for Nixa. We will see. Any advice from anyone about those areas?
The reputation of the Nixa AND Ozark schools are very high...I don't know why one would be better than the other. I always recommend that people make an appointment with the school(s) for a grand tour. They are very accommodating and will give you the "selling" points themselves better than anyone can.

If you could share with us what you are looking for, it would be easier to give advice...start with what you like and don't like about where you are now...

Old 10-05-2008, 11:59 PM

I am sick of the taxes and high prices for anything and everything here in CA. I am also sick of the illegals and gangs roaming the streets. The schools here are just going downhill even more than they have. Name it and we are are sick of it, even the weather what with mud slides and earthquakes and all.

We are looking for a 3-4 bedroom home with at least 2 baths in a nice comminity. I can work from home because of the internet and telecommuting and all so I am very lucky. My wife is a registered nurse and she told me that she knows that she could find a jon in Springfield because of all of the hospitals and such.

We are going to be in the general area next week sometime. We are even taking the kids out of school so they can see it and see what everything is like there. Thanks for the idea about going to each school district and talking to them. I will do just that.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:08 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,686,881 times
Default Preaching to the choir...

Sounds like a lot of why we left 15 years ago...and it certainly hasn't gotten any better!

My oldest daughter was going into Jr Hi in Sacramento and they were installing metal detectors (in the Jr Hi!!!) because of all the little terrorists bringing guns & knives to school...

I've never been sorry we left.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:40 PM

591 posts, read 1,256,923 times
I homeschool my teen girls because I don't feel the HS here in my small town in Indiana is safe. We feel like we have to all stay home in our own lil area because people are getting so bad. 25 min from our town they have a drug problem that rates up there with big cities in bigger states. My 16 year old told me about a month ago that she didn't know one single person that either didn't drink, do drugs or have sex that was in her school. The only girl she knew that didn't do those things were her and her sister. She is shy and felt like she never fit in to the point where she didn't have any friends, cause they teased her for being a 16 year old virgin that didn't party. That is sad. And we even went to church and she was involved in our youth group and she still went through alot of teasing because she has chosen to save herself for marriage and didn't want to do drugs or drink. Our world is something else isn't it.
So we have excluded ourselves. We aren't saying MO will be the fix all to all of this but we are hoping that at least there are some people out there that are like us and if not then at least we will have a beautiful place to live and so many things to do that we enjoy. Which are alll very simple pleasures of each day.
O.k. i'll get off my soap box now lol..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area