U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 03:14 PM

415 posts, read 714,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamagator54 View Post
. But with the hubby's health and all it was a rough time. But things are looking up.
Glad things are looking better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 01:14 AM

8 posts, read 17,226 times
Well not really. I graduated from Mansfield high and graduated from college in...you guessed, it Washington DC. And I'm about as liberal as you get and home grown in Mansfield too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
So what's the president's opinion on thread drift? Mansfield's a long way from D.C.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:57 AM

2,477 posts, read 3,571,529 times
Holy Macaroni...a born and bred liberal from Mansfield! Statesman, you give me hope that I won't be a lone blue ship adrift in an angry red sea.

Mamagator, what's Sho'ees like? Is it a bar/restaurant, do they have local music talent playing there, open mike night or something? How are things on Crazy Woman Mountain these days? Hope the weather doesn't shut things down for long. What's new in Ava. That is such a great little town. I love the art store...the listed hours on the door says something like, "hours by appointment, or if you're lucky".

Back to Mansfield for a sec...love the mural painted on the wall in town. Anyone know who the artist is?

Old 01-27-2009, 10:29 AM

938 posts, read 2,176,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statesman View Post
In some ways I feel that I lived through the last era of a sort of Midwest American Graffitti. It's hard to compare today with the past. For example, I took my girlfriend back with me a few years ago and we were shocked how dead the town was at night. It was like a ghost town and haunting. There was a bar by the square, since closed, which had never existed before, and I met people younger than me who had been working a hard life at the steel plant. I didn't recognize them and they didn't recognize me. There is a grocery store there, and a couple of convenience stores. Traditionally, for some reason, probably short-sighted protectionism, the city council has never allowed larger businesses into town when the opportunity arose so Wal-Mart moved to the south at Ava and the east at Mt. Grove. There was a shoe factory which closed over 15 years ago, at which my mother worked as a single mom (and let me tell you, unless you're a dairy farmer of have independent means, it is very hard to make a living in the area). In any case, it was a struggle, but we were happy and well-provided for, and I think my siblings and I enjoyed a real slice of Americana that may or may not still be there.
I grew up about not too far from you in another similarly-sized Ozark town, and in my first few years of high school, it indeed was like some kind of Midwestern American Graffiti. When I was 16 and younger, one of the grocery store parking lots in town would absolutely fill up with people from high school who would come there to park their truck and hang out. Cruising town was big back then too, people would literally drive back and forth from the Casey's to another grocery store and back for hours on end. I may be guilty of some of that myself in the Chevy pickup I drove at the time with a hopped-up V8 and loud exhaust
Anyway, it was similar to the movie American Graffiti. It seems to have died out within the past 5-10 years in my hometown, by the time I was a senior in high school in the early part of this decade, the town was completely dead after 6 PM. Apparently now everyone in high school goes to the Wal-Mart in West Plains to hang out. I've since left myself...and spent a little bit of time in the DC area as well before coming to Austin for more college. Overall, the Ozarks are a great place to grow up.

Quote:
Holy Macaroni...a born and bred liberal from Mansfield! Statesman, you give me hope that I won't be a lone blue ship adrift in an angry red sea.
There are actually a fair number of blue-minded individuals in the Ozarks...a lot of people moved to the area in the 70's and 80's from the more populated areas of the Midwest looking to escape the urban rat race, and brought along some of their politics. These aren't the Starbucks-drinking, Volvo-driving yuppie liberals, but the kind who really came to live in the woods, grow their own food, live a sustaniable lifestyle, and leave the rest of the world behind. These people have been in the Ozarks for decades now, and never left for the convience of shopping malls. While it may seem that everyone in the Ozarks is super-red, it really isn't the case. It isn't the kind of place where I would have had an Obama bumper sticker on my car, but you should be able to find some like-minded individuals.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:35 PM

OA, your post is reassuring. Also, it is an interesting description you provided of different types of liberal mindsets. Ironically, the first cup of Starbucks coffee I ever had was at the Bass Pro Shop in Springfield. Is drinking coffee "black" a typical Missouri thing? Just curious. A "regular" coffee in NY is a coffee with milk/cream and two sugars.

I would love to hear more about what it was like growing up in Missouri. Do you ever go back to visit? It's funny how everything seems so much smaller than you remember it, if you've been away for awhile.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
OA, your post is reassuring. Also, it is an interesting description you provided of different types of liberal mindsets. Ironically, the first cup of Starbucks coffee I ever had was at the Bass Pro Shop in Springfield. Is drinking coffee "black" a typical Missouri thing? Just curious. A "regular" coffee in NY is a coffee with milk/cream and two sugars.

I would love to hear more about what it was like growing up in Missouri. Do you ever go back to visit? It's funny how everything seems so much smaller than you remember it, if you've been away for awhile.
Now that I think about it, most coffee drinkers I know in Missouri do seem to drink their coffee black. There are still packets of sugar and creamer on the table at most restaurants, but most people don't' seem to use them. I'm not much of a coffee drinker myself, but when I do drink it, its always black.

I go back fairly often to visit. I'm in grad school so I still have "breaks" (although I have plenty of work to do during them), and I usually head home for a week or two at a time when I can. Its always weird in that the first few days I'm home it is a real adjustment, being back out in the country where it is dead-quiet at night, and having most people in stores smile and wave at you. Austin is a pretty friendly city, but small-town Missouri is a lot friendlier. Also a huge adjustment coming from fit, youthful, appearance-minded Austin to the Ozarks where many people just don't take care of themselves anywhere near as well. After about a week there, I find myself not wanting to leave the peace, quiet, and beauty of the Ozarks and head back to the city, but I do anyway, and after a few days back here I adjust back to my normal life.

Growing up in rural Missouri was an interesting experience. In my high school, we had everything from kids who had clothes all from the local thrift store to others whose parents would buy them a $30,000 car or truck just for turning 16. I was a member of the FFA (Future Farmers of America), and we'd have cattle working competitions where we'd take a beef cow, put it in a cow squeeze, and give it all sorts of treatments from shots, to growth hormones, to pour-on tick/lice repellent, and our times would be compared to other teams. School would also be canceled for weeks at a time some winters due to the gravel roads being covered with ice and snow, which of course weren't plowed by the county, but a lot of people still lived down them. If you live on a gravel road in the Ozarks, a 4x4 vehicle is often required to get out in the winter, or you may be stuck at home for a few days.

I'm about to finish my education here and I may move back to Missouri to be closer to family and the Ozarks, but it will be St. Louis if I do move back. Rural Missouri is a great place, but it can't give me a career, and there are very few open-minded twentysomethings like myself who live there.

Anyway, I should probably cut it short here...I could go on and on, haha.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:45 AM

Great Post OA. Thanks for the look into a slice of life in Missouri!

Old 01-29-2009, 08:07 AM

13,683 posts, read 3,654,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Is drinking coffee "black" a typical Missouri thing? Just curious. A "regular" coffee in NY is a coffee with milk/cream and two sugars.
That's how I drink coffee. Although I will drink it black every now and then.

I've never heard it called "a coffee" but "a cup of coffee."

Old 01-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Status: "If you choose to move here, don't gripe about us." (set 6 days ago)

1,038 posts, read 1,439,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
There are actually a fair number of blue-minded individuals in the Ozarks...a lot of people moved to the area in the 70's and 80's from the more populated areas of the Midwest looking to escape the urban rat race, and brought along some of their politics. These aren't the Starbucks-drinking, Volvo-driving yuppie liberals, but the kind who really came to live in the woods, grow their own food, live a sustaniable lifestyle, and leave the rest of the world behind. These people have been in the Ozarks for decades now, and never left for the convience of shopping malls. While it may seem that everyone in the Ozarks is super-red, it really isn't the case. It isn't the kind of place where I would have had an Obama bumper sticker on my car, but you should be able to find some like-minded individuals.
Here in Rolla we had a coupla guys go coast to coast making a name for themselves as Rednecks for Obama. I saw them mentioned on many internet sites, and apparently they gotta lotta face time on television.

We also have a cadre of folks who protest the Iraqi War every week (Wednesdays I think) by standing outside the post office holding signs.

We've got a retired college professor who converted from Roman Catholicism to Islamism and changed his name from Tom to Yushi.

Oh, goodness, we've got some characters adding the blue color to the fabric of life in Rolla.

OA, describe your impression of the liberalism of the free-spirited back-to-the-landers. Are they fiscal liberals or social liberals? Do they favor increased taxes? Increased government regulation? Are they more libertarian than liberal?

I always enjoy your posts, and I wish you'd come to Rolla after grad school and start a bidness here, employing some folks and increasing our tax base.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Here in Rolla we had a coupla guys go coast to coast making a name for themselves as Rednecks for Obama. I saw them mentioned on many internet sites, and apparently they gotta lotta face time on television.
I saw a news article on Digg about them this past election season and was surprised to hear they were from Rolla. Good to see Rolla get some publicity, besides the "terrorist" incident back in 2007 at UMR.

Quote:
We also have a cadre of folks who protest the Iraqi War every week (Wednesdays I think) by standing outside the post office holding signs.
They must be new, or I missed them while I was there. I do remember large abortion protests by St. Patrick's Catholic Church/school along 63, and there was also some guy with a giant brown Christan cross who would walk around town and yell "JESUS LOVES YOU!" to everyone. I also heard some religious nut came on campus last fall and started calling all of the girls (surprised he found any...) derogatory names meaning something along the lines of "women of ill repute", just for being females at a college campus.

Quote:
We've got a retired college professor who converted from Roman Catholicism to Islamism and changed his name from Tom to Yushi.

Oh, goodness, we've got some characters adding the blue color to the fabric of life in Rolla.
Didn't hear about that either. I need to keep up on my Rolla news more.

Quote:
OA, describe your impression of the liberalism of the free-spirited back-to-the-landers. Are they fiscal liberals or social liberals? Do they favor increased taxes? Increased government regulation? Are they more libertarian than liberal?
Most of the leftist people I know back in the Ozarks tend to be older hippies (for lack of a better term) who never really gave it up to move to suburbia. They are typically fiercely concerned with the environment, anti-war, and anti-development of the Ozarks (just like you, and me to some degree). So I would say "yes" on increased government regulation (at least environmental regulation), and probably a yes on increased taxes....at least to the top tax brackets. Of course you'll also get plenty of back-to-lander libertarians in the Ozarks who want the government to stay the heck out of their lives, and you can also find your garden variety religious conservatives, moderates, and even a few flaming-liberal wingnuts.

Quote:
I always enjoy your posts, and I wish you'd come to Rolla after grad school and start a bidness here, employing some folks and increasing our tax base.
Sadly, my talents lie in engineering rather than entrepreneurship at the moment. If I ever do end up back it Rolla it will be because I will be Dr. OA 5599 at the time and teaching at my alma mater....but I highly doubt that will happen because I have no desire to be a college professor at the moment. I'll contribute the the local Rolla economy the best I can by spending money at the Grotto, Lucky House, and/or Alex's every time I'm in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area