U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 11:04 AM

140 posts, read 139,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxie View Post
FYI Most Missourians say "it's the most beautiful place on earth". I used to chuckle inside because when you ask them where else they have been or what they have to compare it to none have ever even left the state of Missouri or the area!!! Most of you have never even been on a vacation!! (uneducated poor rural lifestyle is probably the reason for this) There are many other ways of living and places to live. Unless you have experienced them, LIKE I HAVE, don't judge. You Missourians have a great fear that outsiders are there to change things. It's so far from the truth... Don't judge us city folk for having the means and ability to EXPERIENCE!!! My work in the Ozarks is done now. I'm back to my beautiful sandy beaches now.
Wow, a little full of ourselves much? Glad you're back in your element and out of mine. I cannot believe you sit there and make such broad generalizations regarding people in the rural areas vs. those in the cities. And then you have the nerve to accuse us of judging "city folk"!?! Astounding! Yes, I'm sure that no one out here in the "sticks" could ever amount to anything, and there are nothing but fine, upstanding, law-abiding citizens in the cities.

Oh, BTW, although I've lived all 44 years of my life in the rural places at which you turn up your nose, I *have* been on several vacations, visiting 24 states and two countries. I've been to the beach, I've been to the mountains, and many points in between. And the scenery has been beautiful, no doubt. But for my eyes, no place is as beautiful as here in Mid-MO where I live. Of course, part of that is due to not just the trees, grass, etc., but the people that I've grown up with and love.

How about you take some of your own advice, and not judge those of us who live in the rural areas for having the means and ability to live where and how we choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 06:08 PM

723 posts, read 1,436,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexxie View Post
I'm back to my beautiful sandy beaches now.
Glad to hear it! I am always glad to hear that someone is living where they want to live.

And that goes for all of us, no matter where our paradise might be. Our country is so amazing and beautiful, from sea to shining sea (and locations in between, too).

Old 07-31-2011, 07:42 PM

32 posts, read 32,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BethP View Post
Wow, a little full of ourselves much? Glad you're back in your element and out of mine. I cannot believe you sit there and make such broad generalizations regarding people in the rural areas vs. those in the cities. And then you have the nerve to accuse us of judging "city folk"!?! Astounding! Yes, I'm sure that no one out here in the "sticks" could ever amount to anything, and there are nothing but fine, upstanding, law-abiding citizens in the cities.

Oh, BTW, although I've lived all 44 years of my life in the rural places at which you turn up your nose, I *have* been on several vacations, visiting 24 states and two countries. I've been to the beach, I've been to the mountains, and many points in between. And the scenery has been beautiful, no doubt. But for my eyes, no place is as beautiful as here in Mid-MO where I live. Of course, part of that is due to not just the trees, grass, etc., but the people that I've grown up with and love.

How about you take some of your own advice, and not judge those of us who live in the rural areas for having the means and ability to live where and how we choose.
While I agree the overall tone of the post is in line with what the poster accuses others of, its largely true. I have relatives who still live there and they swear up and down that the Ozarks is the garden of Eden and all other places are on the edge of hell. The only problem is that they haven't been out of the Ozarks in over 25 years. They have formed an opinion of the area and they only listen to people who support their view which consist of white flighters from Cali and other places who are eager to tell otheres about how run down the place has become.
The Ozarks is unique in the fact that it is the only place of many I've lived where people take personal offense at anything less glamorous said about the area to the point of becoming openly hostile. Several years ago I overheard a conversation where a local was saying that the Sawtooth Mountains in Idaho don't compare in beauty to the Ozark hills. I began laughing because I fish and backpack yearly there and can tell you that there is no comparison whatsoever in terms of natural beauty. The guy got so mad at me he was almost ready to get up and in get right in my face until the reality set in that I was about 1.5 feet taller and 100 lbs heavier than he was.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:40 PM

5,285 posts, read 6,648,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUPAC_in_the_KNOW View Post
I began laughing because I fish and backpack yearly there and can tell you that there is no comparison whatsoever in terms of natural beauty.
That was mean spirited of you.
People have different ideas of beauty and there are people like me who do not find the western mountains more beautiful than the Ozarks or the Appalachians. They do not appeal to me visually as much as the gentler mountains further east.
How can you laugh and belittle others for not sharing your opinion, and then have the temerity to call them small minded and backwards?

Last edited by DubbleT; 07-31-2011 at 10:49 PM..

Old 07-31-2011, 09:47 PM

19,035 posts, read 16,285,343 times
Quote:
The guy got so mad at me he was almost ready to get up and in get right in my face until the reality set in that I was about 1.5 feet taller and 100 lbs heavier than he was.
Shh! What's that I hear? Ah, yes. The sounds of chest-thumping and knuckle-dragging. You're so bad!

Old 07-31-2011, 10:39 PM

9,588 posts, read 4,801,585 times
The Ozarks are beautiful that's for sure, as are the Rockies, Sierra's and I'm sure the Sawtooths as well....
We are fortunate have a large country with alot of beauty, from the seas to the plains...

Old 07-31-2011, 11:35 PM

140 posts, read 139,129 times
Quote:
I began laughing because I fish and backpack yearly there and can tell you that there is no comparison whatsoever in terms of natural beauty.
^^...in your opinion. And I guess this is where you and I differ...I wouldn't even consider laughing at someone who holds a different opinion of what constitutes "beauty". Frankly, I don't give a rat's behind if you or anyone else thinks that the Ozarks are the ugliest thing on the planet. All I ask from you or anyone else is for the same respect for my own opinion that is expected from me. If someone laughs at my opinion, they can be assured that I won't have any respect for theirs.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:48 AM

32 posts, read 32,272 times
Quote:
^^...in your opinion. And I guess this is where you and I differ...I wouldn't even consider laughing at someone who holds a different opinion of what constitutes "beauty". Frankly, I don't give a rat's behind if you or anyone else thinks that the Ozarks are the ugliest thing on the planet. All I ask from you or anyone else is for the same respect for my own opinion that is expected from me. If someone laughs at my opinion, they can be assured that I won't have any respect for theirs.
You do realize (at least I hope) that with this post and some from the other people you have validated everything I said previously. I like the Ozarks (everything except the local job market) and I also like the rockies. You don't see me taking offense when someone like the original guy I was referring to runs down another place. I guess that's a rule that's applies to non locals differently huh?
The guy I was originally talking about was really running down Idaho. I didn't print everything he said but I remember lots of four letter words that come to mind. I didn't say anything until he said that the Idaho rockies were as ugly as Texas and couldn't compare to the views from the top of any point in Branson. He obviously had other problems with the area not related to nature.

Shh! What's that I hear? Ah, yes. The sounds of chest-thumping and knuckle-dragging. You're so bad!

Well, my dimensions are 6'9 inches tall and about 1/4 as wide. I was a heyll of a basketball player in the day. Please don't hate me for being beautiful.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:37 AM

5,285 posts, read 6,648,570 times
Back peddling to change your story doesn't give you much credibility.
Not to mention you are being inconsistent, either you kept quiet until he expressed a negative opinion you didn't agree with and you took offense ("I didn't say anything until he said that the Idaho rockies were as ugly as Texas and couldn't compare to the views from the top of any point in Branson") at which point you felt you had to say something, which is exactly what you are accusing others here of doing BTW
or
you didn't take offense, yet you still felt it was appropriate to mock someone for having an opinion that differed from yours.
Either way you're not coming off as open minded or tolerant.

Beth's post does not validate anything you have said in any way. How does asking people to reciprocate a level of respect come across as small minded or backwards?

I hope you don't base any of your opinions of the locals on my posts, as I'm just an interested observer that happened to wander by this thread. I get a little perturbed when I witness such blatant hypocrisy as I've seen in this thread, the urge to point it out is overwhelming.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:33 AM

11 posts, read 26,841 times
Quote:

"You consider visiting 2 countries and 24 state several"?? lol As far as the judging goes, if you read through these posts there is a whole lot of judging on the city folk going on.

I have lived in the city my whole life with the exception of rural MO temporarily. In the city, no one ever came onto my property to steal my things. You want to mention crime? HA! I could not believe on several occassions there someone came onto my property and stole things. On one occassion it was two bicycles, one a very expensive cannondale. Heck, I'd have loaned the bicycles, couldnt ride on those dirt roads anyway. On another occassion someone came on my property and stole firewood. OMG what low lifes! I couldn't believe it. My goodness, if someone needs firewood and can't afford just ask! Us city folk would lend in a hearbeat and not think twice about it. A tent was also stolen by someone who apparently dropped a $50.00 bill in the process...I thank-you for that however the tent was not worth $50.00... Us city folk, we dont nosy onto others property. We dont hunt others property either and especially without asking! We have far better things to do like WORK and take care of our families. I was terrified that someone was coming IN my house the next time....Ya'll need to get busy with more productive things in your lives.
MO is beautiful to you because "it's your home." It will always be beautiful to you no matter what. I feel safe here, no one has ever stolen from me here. Home sweet home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area