Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 01:52 AM

8 posts, read 27,733 times

Advertisements

Nexxie,

I grew up for a short time on a ranch off of F Highway just northwest of Hartville before moving to Mansfield some miles south. I wonder, are you on Weddle road? Maybe you purchased my family's land. We left in 1978 and someone from Branson has owned it since. The Gasconade bordered the property. I've wanted to buy it back ever since.

Here are a few things we did to entertain ourselves.

We would build snowmen, or sit outside in the summer and drink sun brewed tea while listening to the whipporwhils and watching fireflies.

In the summer we would pick blackberries that grew everywhere and then store some for the winter to make blackberry cobbler.

We were not originally from Hartville and were very isolated but we made friendly with our neighbors by paying social calls which still works today.

In the fall we would pick walnuts for sale and for making bread. We joined a church, though I'm not religious these days, and there were hayrides to be enjoyed. The fall was also the time of the town festivals in Mansfield.

I was in school for kindergarten and first through second grades. From what I remember, school was just fine.

So, Nexxie, I think to enjoy Hartville, you will have to scale back and enjoy simply things with your kid. Read a book, play together, marvel at the weather, etc. That's what we did, and even after all my travels and living now for 20 years in New York City, Washington DC, Los Angeles, Boston and Chicago, I still have very fond memories of having spent some time in Hartville.

If you ever go by Farmer John's gate, that is the lead in to my father's old property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou View Post
Nexxi: Are you serious about selling your place on the Gasconade? We are planning on moving down to that area as soon as we sell our place near Columbia, MO. If you are serious about selling let me know what you are asking for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 11:22 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,991 times
You could buy a few nice peices of play equipment and practically have your own park! then, invite other moms of your child's schoolmates over once or twice a month for a little "mom's party". Have some inexpensive treats, plenty of water balloons and squirt guns (in warm weather of course) or whatever fun games you can think of. Reaching out to others is a good way to make friends. As those kids get older you could change things around as necessary.

I can easily see the sides to this issue. As a small child we moved to SW Missouri where my dad bought 500 acres, and we had a stock ranch. Now, being Texans, to us that was a small time acreage compared to the entire sections of ranchland but the "locals" probably did look at us with some mixture of bewilderment and possible envy when they had 20 or 30 acres and ran dairy cows or raised chickens. My mother was the only woman that I knew in those days that did not have a garden, chickens, or a milk cow, Plus she worked! Goodness sakes we were fodder for lots of sideways looks in those years (1960's-70's). Well, to top it off, she was from California!
I never really felt at home there even though I made lifelong friends which I still love and keep in touch with, today. It just wasn't "me" somehow.
Then I moved to Springfield and lived there for many years. Once my husband and I moved to his old hometown near where you live now, on a business offer. In 6 months I was absolutely going nuts. We were able to return to Springfield without too much harm done. Live and learn, I said.
Many years later we divorced and I ended up re-locating to, of all places, Las Vegas. Remarried and lived there for 10 years. I loved it in many ways; mostly the entertainment and luxury of seeing many big name bands and singers. That was just not available to a girl in Barry County some 80 miles from even Springfield where there were no concerts anyways!
About 5 years ago because of my husband's work, we re-located to the Big Island of Hawaii. Wow talk about coming around full circle! Not only does the lay of the land remind me of the Ozarks (just has an ocean around it), but the very rural and small town atmosphere. However this time, all those things made me feel very happy. I love running into people that know me any where I go. The girl at McDonald's is in the choir, and that list could go on and on. Granted I live now in what is to me paradise because I really detest being cold. One of the things I most hated was those long winters with short days and lots of clouds and no sun. Really depressing. You might be one of those people too, who need lots of sunshine or they feel depressed; I sure am. We don't have a lot of shopping and dining opportunities here, and now the concerts we go to are few and far between because not many big names come to Kona. But we are very happy here. Obviously I am a lot older than you and with all those years, comes some understanding.
What's the lesson for you to learn, this is your question. You are in that place now, for some reason. Find out what it is.

Best wishes.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:39 AM

419 posts, read 1,182,073 times
That was very interesting, KonaKat. I'm tired just thinking of all the places you've lived.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:53 AM

390 posts, read 951,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
My wife grew up a little south of there, and loved her upbringing. It's a very rural, outdoors culture, and you have to find your entertainment in that... or else you'll never like it.
I don't know if you hunt, fish, hike, or even kayak down the river, but those are the type of things you'll have to warm up to.
We lived in the country for a little while when I was growing up. I liked it better than any place else we lived. From a young boy's perspective, it was much more fun than any city could ever be.

There is a park in Ava, that has a walking path, tennis courts, and an outdoor public swimming pool. It's 30 minutes south of Hartville.
As for malls and dining, you've probably figured out that Springfield's your only hope for that. Some of the wayside places along 60 hwy can be interesting to stop in.
My wife's family made a trip to Springfield 2-3 times a month at the most, to get what they couldn't at home, or to just do the city thing for a day.
If you want more, then Kansas City and St. Louis aren't too far for a weekend trip.
We live in KC, and go down to the Ava area quite often to get away for a weekend.

I hope things work out better for you.
North, spent my very early years in Ava. My parents, grandparents,great and great-great grandparents were raised their. Have not been back in years but wondering how long it takes to drive from KC to Ava. Used to love swimming in Cow Skin Creek on a Sunday afternoon.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:59 AM

41 posts, read 161,375 times
KC to Ava is about 5hrs if you cut thru Springfield. I always found it funny how goin less than 250 miles can take 5 hours in MO, but if you told someone not from MO that they'd think it was crazy. Anyway, the drive from KC to Ava thru Springfield is a nice drive.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post
That was very interesting, KonaKat. I'm tired just thinking of all the places you've lived.
Thanks. Of course I left a lot out, too! I feel very fortunate to have lived in , and live now, in some of the most wonderful places in the country. I got to thinking one day, coincidentally all of them have been big tourist/vacation areas, too. My dad built the boat ramps for Beaver Dam, I remember when Silver Dollar City was begun, Roaring River was the main stomping grounds for us and all our friends back in the day. All picnics and school reunions, most family reunions etc were held there.

SW Missouri is a wonderful, rich place. I still enjoy visiting even though it's not my choice of places to live. Mostly because of the weather, I will admit. I must have been a Polynesian in another lifetime.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:31 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,933 times
Red face Warmth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Thanks. Of course I left a lot out, too! I feel very fortunate to have lived in , and live now, in some of the most wonderful places in the country. I got to thinking one day, coincidentally all of them have been big tourist/vacation areas, too. My dad built the boat ramps for Beaver Dam, I remember when Silver Dollar City was begun, Roaring River was the main stomping grounds for us and all our friends back in the day. All picnics and school reunions, most family reunions etc were held there.

SW Missouri is a wonderful, rich place. I still enjoy visiting even though it's not my choice of places to live. Mostly because of the weather, I will admit. I must have been a Polynesian in another lifetime.
Wow...I'd love to meet you if you ever get back here to visit. I love learning more about the history of the area. And the weather is ok by me except for Jan-Feb. Although the low temp last night was 50's and high today in the 60's is cool.

Say hi to the ocean for me...

Old 02-08-2009, 05:20 PM

Lake Junkie, I surely will tell you when next we visit SW Missouri. Probably next year in the Spring, again.

Here is a beautiful Hawaiian proverb that you will like.

Ua mau ke ea o ka `aina i ka pono. The life of the land is preserved in righteousness

Old 04-02-2009, 09:14 PM

32 posts, read 72,785 times
I have a life-long buddy that has resided in Hartville for a long time now. I haven't seen him since college, but we're going down this summer and get in some great bass fishing! I can't wait... especially after living all over the world and here near Seattle for 11 yrs. The "simpler life" is usually the best!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 PM

7 posts, read 33,673 times
Boy, if I was so lucky as to have 120 acres with or without any kind of house, I'd feel so lucky. I'm stuck in the midle of Springfield where I had a big go-aound with the city last summer because my chives were too tall ( over 12 inches ) they called it rank vegatation - need I say more?

As much as I like it out of the city, it takes me two or three days to unwind so I can enjoy myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area