U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-26-2009, 08:52 PM

6 posts, read 29,768 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling to Kimberling City (Branson) this summer for a family reunion... and wanted to see if anyone had advice on things to do with small children. I know some of the older kids want to do SDC, but I think that may be too much for a two year old, so we need to find other fun things to fill our time. Thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 09:43 PM

2,721 posts, read 6,281,221 times
As my kids used to call it, "Couple dollar City" has loads of fun activities for every age. I remember when Silver Dollar City was first built and opened in about 1962 or 1963. They gave out free passes to businesses who had their advertisements in the business, so my mom would get them often. We would go together a few times a year on her day off. They had dirt paths and tiny little saplings. You got a day pass, which was a colored string around your wrist. Paid admission was about $3.00.

Have fun on that train with those kids! It's such fun.

It will be very hot and humid so plan accordingly.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:24 AM

41 posts, read 109,757 times
SDC is always a good time. The strip in Branson is fun too, lots of shops and stuff. The Ripley's museum is down there. Tablerock Lake ain't far either

Old 01-28-2009, 07:49 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,510,007 times
Cool Toddlers...

Well, it's been a loooooooooooooong time since my kids were toddlers, so I'll have to put my thinking cap on!

Silver Dollar City is not just for teens & adults. Beyond the train & the animals & the cave...there's a new kids-only area that has several spots that handily entertain the tiny ones. I remember a friend's toddler spending (ok...wanting to spend...) hours at the spot where the water squirts out of the ground! It's truly hilarious on a hot day.

And yes, it'll be hot...dress to stay wet! We always have water shoes, shorts & waterproof fanny packs to wear to SDC in the summer!

But...it's not $3 anymore...

Other than that, there's Whitewater, which has places for big kids with little kids...and if they're like I was as a kid...there's swimming in the LAKE!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:43 PM

880 posts, read 1,890,667 times
Default toddlers...

Well, I don't have kids, but most of the two year olds I've been around would be happy playing out at the lake in the water, at the pool at a hotel, or sitting in their dad/mom's lap racing cars around the track at the race car place on the strip. Or trying to play miniature golf (several of them around here) with tiny clubs. Or riding the ducks (boat that goes around Branson and ends up in the water)....they get to quack and often "help" drive the duck around town. Then hit Ben and Jerry's on the lower level of the landing down on the water for an ice cream.

Think water though...as it will most likely be warm/hot and somewhat humid depending on when this summer. Even renting a boat/pontoon would be fun for everyone depending on your budget. Last year you could rent a pontoon boat for 4 hours for about $100 at Indian Point.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:05 PM

192 posts, read 524,985 times
My kids were ages 2 and 3 last summer when we spent two weeks in the Kimberling City/Branson area. They LOVED SDC--they were both tall enough to ride the little roller coaster in the kiddie area with me, which was great, cause I love roller coasters!! MY two year old loved the cave at SDC--my husband had to stay outside with my three year old cause he was scared of the cave. We spent an entire day at SDC and had a great time. The grand finale was taking them down a water ride while both of the kids were screaming and we all got completely soaked. The kids were excited for the ride while we waited over an hour for it, then got to the top, and my three year old started crying cause he didn't want to go, this resulted in my two year old crying--well, it was faster to go down and get wet than to take the stairs all the way back down....really, I love my kids!!!!! Anyway, I wouldn't recommend the water ride for your two year old, but otherwise, SDC is a wonderful place for kids of all ages!!!
We spent the bulk of our time at the lake since we are avid lake lovers. Swimming, jet skiing, and boating consumed most of our time. My hubby invested in a wake board from the Ski Shack in the Port of Kimberling and he got up immediately. Then he made me try it--let's just say I like driving the boat better!!!

P.S. We are hoping for a move to Kimbering City around mid-March, so if anyone's up for a get-together, my family would love to join in and meet more of the local folk!!!

Old 01-31-2009, 09:36 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,510,007 times
Talking Coffee Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanjosbrand View Post
P.S. We are hoping for a move to Kimbering City around mid-March, so if anyone's up for a get-together, my family would love to join in and meet more of the local folk!!!
That sounds great...we've been talking about scheduling something for March!

Let us know when you know you'll be here, we love meeting new neighbors!

OVER THE FENCE COFFEE CLUB Part II

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area