Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:34 PM

81 posts, read 196,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
My take "DON'T TRUST THE DEVELOPERS"
Amen to that. I'm not trying to paint with a wide brush - "all developers are evil" - but those developers didn't have to live in your neighborhood, and they were motivated by money. They did not have the best interests of the community in mind.

I was born and raised in the town I live in now. My Dad still lives in the home I grew up in, way out on a dirt road. There are twice as many houses on that road as when I was a kid. Still very rural, but lots more people. My husband and I live in a house built in 2002. There are houses on our dirt road that are 10, 20, 30, 50, and 100+ years old. Sometimes I think about what it was like when that oldest house was the only one here. Before that this land must have been inhabited by Native Americans, because Squaw Creek runs through our meadow and there are grinding rocks here. My next door neighbor watched this empty .75 acre lot we're on be logged and cleared, and then built on. His kids used to play on our land, build tree forts and stuff, now he has another neighbor to look at.

It's not a situation with any easy answers. Growth happens, things change. Sometimes I think about how many people must have been hootin' and hollerin' after WWII when there was a huge building boom. Wasn't that when suburbs first came about? It's just what happens I guess, but those of us who see these unwelcome changes come into our neighborhoods are unhappy about it. Then, we move to the MO Ozarks and do the same thing to Ozarksboy's town, just to intentionally rile him up! (It's all a sinister plot.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 02:01 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,562,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplewife&mom View Post
There are twice as many houses on that road as when I was a kid. Still very rural, but lots more people. My husband and I live in a house built in 2002. There are houses on our dirt road that are 10, 20, 30, 50, and 100+ years old. Sometimes I think about what it was like when that oldest house was the only one here.

Growth happens, things change. ... It's just what happens I guess, but those of us who see these unwelcome changes come into our neighborhoods are unhappy about it. Then, we move to the MO Ozarks and do the same thing to Ozarksboy's town, just to intentionally rile him up! (It's all a sinister plot.)
The people who live in the 50 and 100 year old houses are probably unhappy about your 2002-built house. They might think YOU are one of those unwelcome changes.

So to get away from these unwelcome changes, come on over to Rolla and build a new house. We've got realtors needing to sell land and contractors needing work. Folks are trying to fill this county up. The city government is planning big developments, trying to promote orderly growth as the city folks like tambre are encouraging.

We're hoping that the more growth we can promote, the richer we'll all get. Growth comes from new people moving into the area, and development is a response to them, so come on and let's all get crowded together.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
We moved into a brand new housing develpoment off of State Hiway 12 ( a two lane hiway out in the boonies mostly).
Now, BassMan, let me get this straight. You're upset about all the developing going on around the development where you live.

I wonder if there were any backward-thinking rural folks upset about the construction of the development in which you live, thinking it marred the countryside, etc.?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:27 AM

81 posts, read 196,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
The people who live in the 50 and 100 year old houses are probably unhappy about your 2002-built house. They might think YOU are one of those unwelcome changes.
Yes, I agree with this. And, my Dad is unhappy about having twice as many people live on our road as when he bought the property 35 years ago. So I have experienced both sides of this coin. So, what's the solution? Those people who built in my childhood neighborhood never should have done so? And when we were ready to buy our home in 2002, we should only have chosen from existing homes that had been there for decades, not new construction?

If I want to avoid living with encroaching growth, in my mind what I need to do is buy a home or land way, way out in the sticks, surrounded by other acreage that I have researched and know cannot be split, or - better yet - surrounded by BLM land. (But in Mr. Bassman's case he did the research and unfortunately was dealing with dishonest developers.) That will help to ensure the lifestyle that I desire, right? But towns and cities and communities just grow and that's life I guess. I'm not saying I like it most of the time, but it's my choice to live with it or move away.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplewife&mom View Post
So, what's the solution? Those people who built in my childhood neighborhood never should have done so? And when we were ready to buy our home in 2002, we should only have chosen from existing homes that had been there for decades, not new construction?

.... But towns and cities and communities just grow and that's life I guess. I'm not saying I like it most of the time, but it's my choice to live with it or move away.
No, people can move in and build on the land they buy. I drive 7 miles to get a country church every Sunday. I started going to that church 20-some years ago and there were just a few houses along the road. Now there are many more houses, include a development or two.

You've got to get way out where the hoot owls bugger the chickens to get away from this. Once my brother-in-law and I went coon-hunting at a place that had always been rural. We sat and listened to the dogs and didn't like the way they sounded. We got in the truck and found them. They were running around in a new subdivision full of rich folks' houses, a subdivision I didn't even know existed. Motion-detecting lights came on all over the place while we gathered up the dogs. Another good hunting place ruined. But it's their land and they can use it as they wish. All my brother-in-law can do is gripe about the developments, drive farther to find places to run coons or find a new pastime.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:57 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,761 times
Default Investigate first, move later...

Belle: I moved here from California (Pleasanton) two years ago after years of visiting here on vacation, relative visits, etc. There are good and bad things about ANY area...it just depends on what you want, need, expect, etc.

I would advise that you do not move ANYWHERE until you've visited it several times, investigated the areas, met people, seen the weather (winter isn't bad, it it's more than you are experiencing).

Alot of west coasters move here because of the cost of living (mostly housing is a lot less) then they find out that the salaries are also a lot less...so it balances out in the end. However, there are fewer jobs because it's a smaller less industry diverse area.

You may love it here, you may hate it. I know people who make it here about two years and decide that they've made a mistake. It's financially difficult to "go back home" because California is so expensive from a housing viewpoint.

So before you move anywhere, check it out in person. And don't limit yourself to here. It's a nice area, but may not have the ammenities you want, are used to, etc. Or it may be a perfect fit....but don't just move here blindly not knowing the area.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:02 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,654,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Now, BassMan, let me get this straight. You're upset about all the developing going on around the development where you live.

I wonder if there were any backward-thinking rural folks upset about the construction of the development in which you live, thinking it marred the countryside, etc.?
Good Point Buddy.....
I guess when the population goes from 179 million in 1960 to 310 million today some development in inevitable.....

Old 02-11-2009, 03:47 PM

635 posts, read 1,655,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle813 View Post
Hello to all!
My Family and I are planning to move from Los Angeles,CA to MO in the next month or so,but we do have some concerns.I wonder if any of you can help me out.
We are tiered of the stressing life here in LA and we are looking for a nice rural place around Branson area or Springfield.We are a family of 4,My Father(48)my mother(49)my brother(23)and me the youngest(19).We want to know of a town or small city to rent a house and were there might be job opportunities for my father and brother.They both are Caregivers(they provide help to Elderly Gentlemen/Ladies:companionship,exercise,bathe,feed,help out with medication,etc...)my father has 10 years experience and my brother has 3yrs. My brother is also interested in working in a ranch or a farm due to the fact that he has fair knowledge when it comes to caring for horses and cows/bulls or any work having to do with a ranch/farm.
Another big concern is the fact that my mother requires medicine for her Diabetes,and well she needs to be seen by the doctor regulary.We will like to move to a town that is close enough to a good hospital or clinic that can cover that part.
Also,I'm a freshman in college and will love to find a good college to transfer to;but would also like to find a part time job to help me out with my college expenses.
I have hear that the Branson area and Springfield are very nice places to live at due to the fact that they are calm and nice,with good job opportunities(if I'm not mistaken??) Since LA is a very violent and stressing city we figured that moving to a nice rural place would be a nice change for all of us.We figured it would also be a great change for my mother who's health is quite delicate to live in a nice green place where the air might be much more clean than here.
Well those are pretty much our concerns,1.a nice small town/city rural area to rent a house 2.job opportunities 3.health care for my mother and 4.college
If any of you can help me out I'll appreciate it lots!!

thanks a lot!!
Isabel
If time and money is not on your side to come visit the area first, than I may I suggest a few tips to avoid a massive coronary when you see how life is here in MO. If you are committed to the Branson area, I would suggest Springfield for several reasons. 1) more caregiver opportunities 2) more city-like than a smaller town 3) close enough to outer lying areas to commute for work (which increases job opportunites) and to venture out once you get here to see if a (smaller) town would not kill you.

Be prepared for the culture shock but although wages are lower, so is cost of living. I was born in Ventura CA. and when I went back for a visit, I thought $15.00 to $20.00 an hour was awesome but $1500 for an apartment just about killed me over!!!

Go to craigslist.com to give you an idea of rent in the Springfield area. I also work in the Social Service field as a Caregiver Coordinator for seniors and will say that there is a high demand for good, trustworthy caregivers. The average pay if you do private services (not with an agency) is about $10.00 an hour but thats here in Joplin, Springfield may be more. I know several people that have moved here from CA. and once the initial shock wore off, they loved it here.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 02-12-2009, 07:48 AM

635 posts, read 1,655,440 times
Oh...I forgot to add the College part. Springfield has a University (SMS) Southern Missouri State (I think), the name changed a few years ago. Also, go to Missouri Career Source online for jobs...I always see a lot of jobs on there that would be great for a College student. You might contact the school and check into student employment too. I too think that Springfield/Nixa area would be great access for healthcare for your mom. You might google the hospitals and find out more about there services.
It might even be helpful to see if there is a Diabetes Association and/or support group in the area (maybe sponsored by the hospitals). This can provide valuable information and local resources regarding your mothers care.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:16 PM

7 posts, read 15,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
Oh...I forgot to add the College part. Springfield has a University (SMS) Southern Missouri State (I think), the name changed a few years ago. Also, go to Missouri Career Source online for jobs...I always see a lot of jobs on there that would be great for a College student. You might contact the school and check into student employment too. I too think that Springfield/Nixa area would be great access for healthcare for your mom. You might google the hospitals and find out more about there services.
It might even be helpful to see if there is a Diabetes Association and/or support group in the area (maybe sponsored by the hospitals). This can provide valuable information and local resources regarding your mothers care.
Dear Mollym313:
Thank You very much for the help!!
It seems like everybody else forgot about me!haha
They all are too busy arguing over land,over population and development that it seems that they forgot why they all started arguing in the first place!!hahaha
Your information is of great help and I'll be sure to check out everything you suggested!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area