Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:02 PM

81 posts, read 195,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Most important aspect of sweet tea, IMHO is that the brew must be created while it is still warm - the sugar must be added to the steaming water, NOT to the chilled glass... to do the latter is nothing more than sugary ice tea - which is not sweet tea. This is one of the most important and satisfying drinks known to humankind.

I made SWEET TEA!!
How best to make Ice Tea please?

In this house, take one green tea, one black tea, and one white tea bags, bring to just below boil in a ceramic cup... after sitting for 5 minutes, slowly pour into a pitcher that has 3 scoops of sugar and is ~1/3 full of cool water. Fill the pitcher to full, stirring slowly as you go. Let sit for a bit, and then enjoy...
Thank you Mr. ShadowCaver. I was thinking maybe it was some powder that came in a cylindrical can and was named "Sweet Tea". Like Tang or something (do they still make that stuff?) I am a coffe person myself, but my husband loves iced tea so I will try this method for him. I'm going to try adding peppermint tea too, sounds refreshing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 06:21 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,651,577 times
Quote:
Most important aspect of sweet tea, IMHO is that the brew must be created while it is still warm - the sugar must be added to the steaming water, NOT to the chilled glass... to do the latter is nothing more than sugary ice tea - )

Now that's exactly how my OL Pappy used to make it, and to this day I still do.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:39 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,569,084 times
ShadowCaver......one question, if you please, kind sir, you say one green tea, one black tea and one white tea bags.......not really a question I imagine, but I checked my pantry and 'all' of my tea bags are white. When I went to the store I asked a clerk and was told that all the tea bags were white, none of them were green nor black. Is there a specialty store that you know of that puts their tea in green and/or black tea bags?

Please advise asap as I really would like to try your version of Sweet Tea.

lol...lol... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 03-09-2009, 09:14 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,054,299 times
NWV - yea, funny... The tea, the tea leaves themselves are these colours, not the bags... Have you been lost for too long in them woods again? /off-topic

Getting back to the subject here now that we've satisfied our thirst, for those interested in Springfield:
www.ILoveSpringfieldMO.com and I Love Springfield, Mo! (http://springfield-missouri.blogspot.com/ - broken link) for some ideas & info.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:57 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,569,084 times
I have never lived in Springfield. Many visits tho' and I always enjoyed the city and the surrounding countryside. My husband and I used to drive around Springfield after we were first married and had our first born son with us. I fell in love with Springfield and for quite a few years received so much information from the Chamber of Commerce after contacting them.

Our youngest son went to University of Missouri/Southwest and this gave me ample excuses to visit. As well as conventions for Missouri Association of Realtor. Guess what I'm trying to say is that even just a visitor over many years still finds so much to like about Springfield. Great restaurants, shopping, lovely neighborhoods with tree lined streets and stately homes. Good luck to you.

Oh, sorry, ShadowCaver for being off topic earlier. Wont do it again... And thank you for the clarification.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:57 PM

6 posts, read 15,814 times
I agree with most of what you've said with the exception of Springfield being an ugly city. I was just downtown tonight and even had dinner on Commercial Street. I hadn't been there in awhile and was pleasantly surprised to see a few more businesses thriving and bringing it back up to par. There's a lot of work to do, but it's coming along.

To top that off, you just cannot match the friendliness of the people here.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:12 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOMommyx3 View Post
I agree with most of what you've said with the exception of Springfield being an ugly city. I was just downtown tonight and even had dinner on Commercial Street. I hadn't been there in awhile and was pleasantly surprised to see a few more businesses thriving and bringing it back up to par. There's a lot of work to do, but it's coming along.

To top that off, you just cannot match the friendliness of the people here.
I totally agree.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:00 AM

419 posts, read 1,181,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
I totally agree.
And I second that.

Last edited by Silvermouse; 03-11-2009 at 11:19 AM..

Old 03-11-2009, 07:52 PM

130 posts, read 367,716 times
Quote:
Most important aspect of sweet tea, IMHO is that the brew must be created while it is still warm - the sugar must be added to the steaming water, NOT to the chilled glass... to do the latter is nothing more than sugary ice tea - which is not sweet tea. This is one of the most important and satisfying drinks known to humankind.

I made SWEET TEA!!
How best to make Ice Tea please?

In this house, take one green tea, one black tea, and one white tea bags, bring to just below boil in a ceramic cup... after sitting for 5 minutes, slowly pour into a pitcher that has 3 scoops of sugar and is ~1/3 full of cool water. Fill the pitcher to full, stirring slowly as you go. Let sit for a bit, and then enjoy...
Amen!

The brew HAS to be warm for you to add the sugar, and that is REAL Sweet Tea. If you add the sugar while it's warm, the tea and sugar become one. There are no sugar particles floating around when you drink it. If you add the sugar while it's chilled - it's definitely not Sweet Tea - just Iced Tea with Sugar. Plus you have the build up of sugar at the bottom of the glass, because the sugar doesn't meld with the tea.

Well said, SC.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:26 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post
And I second that.
Here's a third

Springfield is far from ugly. Some of the houses and buildings on the north side aren't in the best of shape, but the city as a whole is really quite clean and well-kept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area