Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 12:07 AM

393 posts, read 1,736,570 times

Advertisements

Congratulations to Springfield. There is a very nice article in the latest (may-June) issue of where to retire magazine highlighting Springfield. The secret may be out now, as these articles tend to peak folks' interest in an area. Especially retirees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 05:21 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,944 times
Default The cat's out of the bag!

Hi Sunshine,

That's so interesting! What were some of the selling points they were making to suggest that Springfield would be a good place to retire?

Tambre

Old 05-17-2008, 10:36 PM

393 posts, read 1,736,570 times
They highlighted the friendliness of the people, the slower pace, the christian values, the lakes and general beauty of the area. Also the lower cost of living, the entertainment avenues, the university, and the health care available. Of course, Bass Pro was included and the nearness to Branson and the shows. It was really a very good article.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:23 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,944 times
Hi Sunshine,

Lot's of positive characteristics to the Springfield area! I was reading an online News Leader, and looking at the music scene. There was a concert called "geezerfest". Guess we boomers need entertainment too! Tambre

Old 11-29-2008, 04:45 AM

41 posts, read 161,438 times
I knew when I joined the military I'd retire back in the Ozarks, just depends on where the concrete isn't.

"Cuz when I can seen the concrete
a slowly creeping
Lord take me and mine before that comes" - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Old 12-04-2008, 01:46 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,382,632 times
Cool Geezer Rock! Yea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Hi Sunshine,

Lot's of positive characteristics to the Springfield area! I was reading an online News Leader, and looking at the music scene. There was a concert called "geezerfest". Guess we boomers need entertainment too! Tambre
LOL...yes, we do! I went to a Moody Blues concert with my sis a coupla years back and was teasing her calling it "geezer rock"...until those fellas came out & started playing! It was awesome! Within 15 minutes I was 17 years old again...

Old 12-05-2008, 05:27 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
Frank LOVES the Moody Blues. They are his favorite group by far, and often we listen to CDs of their music back to back on the long drive to Springfield.

But then, perhaps coincidently we are most definitely geezers, too! White/gray hair, almost retired, and all.

We think Springfield will be a great place to retire. After Katrina we looked online for a town with population 50,000 - 200,000, with reasonably low crime, not too far north, and with very low housing prices. Springfield kept popping up in our searches, and I noticed it since my (now deceased) grandparents on both sides lived there.

Within two months after starting our online search, Springfield was #1 on our list, and after visiting it we were sold. We have visited several other "runner up" towns on our list, such as Huntsville and Hot Springs, and although we liked them too, we are even more enthusiastic about Springfield for us.

We really like the way Springfield is laid out. Businesses are convenient to residential areas in south Springfield. There are walking trails, parks, gyms, and golf courses to help us try to keep healthy as we grow older.

During our last trip (in late November) we visited the new library on S. Campbell, and it is SO COOL. Almost all of the books are new or nearly so, and on any topic you can imagine. And, the reading room looks really pleasant. What a great place for a retiree to "hang out" and keep mentally active.

We explored Lake Stockton, which is beautiful and not very far from Springfield. Lake Stockton has some nice marinas and picnic areas.

We went to three open houses while we were in Springfield, just to see if the housing prices we were seeing online were deceptive or what. They aren't. In fact, we were ecstatic about the homes we saw, and would have bought any of the three if we were ready to buy (which we aren't yet, since we need to retire and sell our houses down here first). These houses were just what we want and the prices were very low.

Although finding a great job in Springfield may be a bit of a challenge for younger folks, Springfield seems like a terrific place for retirees.

One possible disadvantage of Springfield for retirees is that the airport is small and flights in and out seem pretty expensive. But Frank and I do not like to travel much anyway, except locally by car. So, that is not a problem for us. We drove to Kansas City on this last trip up there, and found that it was easy for us to drive up there, shop, and drive back to Springfield in the same day.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:38 AM

419 posts, read 1,182,424 times
Good luck to you and Frank.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:08 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post
Good luck to you and Frank.
Thanks! We'll really need it when we try to sell our houses down here. I think the real estate market down here is doing a little better than most, but naturally houses are moving a bit more slowly than in past years. We are getting pretty excited about this move.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:52 PM

27 posts, read 114,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
One possible disadvantage of Springfield for retirees is that the airport is small and flights in and out seem pretty expensive.
We fly in and out of Tulsa when visiting S'field, a little under 3 hours away. Flights were very well priced and we had several to pick from. Kansas City and St Louis are a little farther, but worth checking also when you need to fly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area