Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:27 PM

24 posts, read 54,651 times

Advertisements

Well it's official I am now a Missourian! Got in Saturday afternoon and moved into our new home now comes the unpacking and other fun stuff. Would have been here sooner but wanted to visit my brother in Ohio. I haven't been to any BBQ places yet but that is coming soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 04:32 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,560,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD61 View Post
Well it's official I am now a Missourian!
Hold on a minute now. Ain't nothin' official yet. Time will tell if you're really a Missourian or just someone who lives in Missouri. There's a lot of natives I know who don't really love the place and aren't right proud of it, so I figure they are just people who live in Missouri even if they were born here. I hope you become a Missourian. Now that you're here, I'm rootin' for you.

Quote:
I haven't been to any BBQ places yet but that is coming soon.
Well, OK, you're on the right track toward becoming a Missourian. The Ozarks Boy is very judgmental, and here are some of his requirements for state citizenship:

1. Plant a vegetable garden.
2. Acquaint yourself with the native wildflowers that grow along our roadsides (before the highway department mows them down or burns them with herbicide)
3. Go to an auction ever now and again, or at least read auction flyers and say "Boy, howdy, I'd go to that auction if I had some extra money."
4. Go fishing and hunting once in awhile.
5. Love bluegrass and old country music.
6. Go drink coffee at a diner, not a fine restaurant or a coffee shop.
7. Wear a NASCAR cap, a feed store cap, a hardware store cap or an MFA cap while drinking coffee in the diner.
8. Go to the county fair this summer and visit the exhibitors in the barns. Do NOT say. "Ewww. It stinks in here.".
9. Go to the State Fair ever now and again.
10. Go to church every Sunday.
11. Call your Mama and Daddy every Sunday if they're living; go see them when you get a chance.
12. Shop in your hometown and help your neighbors stay in business; don't run off to St. Louis or Kansas City ever weekend.
13. Learn to recognize bird calls.
14. Learn to identify some trees that grow in our forests.
15. Go to the library and check out a book or two on Missouri history and your county history; read them to understand that as earth-shattering as your arrival in Missouri may be, a whole helluva lot went on before you arrived, some good and some bad.

Well, there's more, but that ought to get your started. Welcome to Missouri.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:34 PM

Well then I hope this is good so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Hold on a minute now. Ain't nothin' official yet. Time will tell if you're really a Missourian or just someone who lives in Missouri. There's a lot of natives I know who don't really love the place and aren't right proud of it, so I figure they are just people who live in Missouri even if they were born here. I hope you become a Missourian. Now that you're here, I'm rootin' for you.

Well, OK, you're on the right track toward becoming a Missourian. The Ozarks Boy is very judgmental, and here are some of his requirements for state citizenship:

We always have a vegetable garden where ever we lived it's the law of our home.
2. Acquaint yourself with the native wildflowers that grow along our roadsides (before the highway department mows them down or burns them with herbicide)
Love flowers and nature

3. Go to an auction ever now and again, or at least read auction flyers and say "Boy, howdy, I'd go to that auction if I had some extra money."

We love auctions, flea markets and the like.

Love fishing

Love blue grass and old country MSD61 plays banjo, guitar

MSD61 takes coffee in town diner over the fancy pants places.

7. Wear a NASCAR cap, a feed store cap, a hardware store cap or an MFA cap while drinking coffee in the diner.
Will my CAT cap do?

8. Go to the county fair this summer and visit the exhibitors in the barns. Do NOT say. "Ewww. It stinks in here.".
Love fairs, live stock shows and no nothin stinks!

Yup and yup to that!

Always

11. Call your Mama and Daddy every Sunday if they're living; go see them when you get a chance.
Not living but always remember them.

12. Shop in your hometown and help your neighbors stay in business; don't run off to St. Louis or Kansas City ever weekend.
MSD61 doesn't like big cities

Knows quite a few.

MSD61 is into tree lore

15. Go to the library and check out a book or two on Missouri history and your county history; read them to understand that as earth-shattering as your arrival in Missouri may be, a whole helluva lot went on before you arrived, some good and some bad.

Lots of reading to do!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:41 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,453,487 times
Quote:
that ought to get your started.
Will a veterans cap delineating status and combat theater of choice count?

Old 03-24-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD61 View Post
Well then I hope this is good so far
OK, you're official. You're more Missourian than most of the people I know in Rolla.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Will a veterans cap delineating status and combat theater of choice count?
Oh, heck yes, and thanks for your service. Just don't take it off while you're in the cafe drinking coffee with the rest of us good ole boys. Take it off in church; take it off in the house, but leave it on in the cafe.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:29 AM

81 posts, read 195,930 times
Quote:

Well, according to these standards, I'm a Missourian already without even setting foot there yet! Except for #7, NASCAR/feedstore caps aren't really part of my wardrobe on a regular basis.

P.S. Great post Mr. Ozarksboy. I tried to give you some points for it but wasn't able. Anyway, it was much enjoyed.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:51 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,378,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplewife&mom View Post
Except for #7, NASCAR/feedstore caps aren't really part of my wardrobe on a regular basis.
I've got an extra one you can borrow...

WELCOME TO MISSOURI, MSD61!!!

[img]http://******************/party-smiley-565.gif[/img]

Old 03-24-2009, 09:03 AM

Great that means my 82nd Airborne cap is good to go. I wear that one the most it's a pride thing LOL!

Old 03-24-2009, 11:08 AM

419 posts, read 1,181,544 times
Quote:

Great post, OB! We need to keep this list handy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area