U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 02:40 PM

10,783 posts, read 14,528,050 times
Bit four times by recluse. The last time it ws on my belly. The bite area was the size of a quarter and black for nine months. The bite becomes very painful. The spiders very small, and fast. I nver felt one crawl on me, nor did I see it, or feel the bite. They are not to mess with. I inagine if you are allergic to spider venum it will kill. I've been told it can kill, but I never met anyone who had kin that was killed by the little biters. but I have seen arms and legs where tissue mass was missing because the victim did not seek medical attention as soon as possible.

Professional spray works best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 03:40 PM

24 posts, read 36,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
Another thing we see frequently in the ER is patients who THINK they have a spider bite, and it turns out to be a fairly common staph infection. Both can cause localized tissue damage and/or systemic problems if left untreated. My husband actually rolled over on a spider in a rental house (we found it squashed in the bed) and was bitten on the back of the arm. Two days later it was black in the middle and he was feeling feverish and nauseated. Antibiotics took care of it and he barely has a tiny scar you would never notice. Untreated, it can cause lots of tissue loss. Don't mess around with any infection-MRSA is too widespread. See a doctor!
Well we don't mess around my wife is a diabetic and can't take any chances on any type of wound or infection. Anything that doesn't look like the norm or isn't responding to home treatments with either of us we get to the doctor. I didn't survive the gulf just to be a casualty of a spider...LOL!!

Last edited by MSD61; 04-04-2009 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: Missing worg

Old 04-05-2009, 03:43 PM

880 posts, read 1,841,760 times
Default spiders and snakes...

Interesting discussions here. I've lived here two years and I've seen all three.
Copper head in the driveway under the car.
Numerous black widows in gutters and other dark places (my bug man wants to point them out to me much to my educational reluctance).
A couple of brown recluse in the boulder retaining wall (one bit the dog in the posterior).

But it's the Orbit Spiders, who are not harmful in any way that creep me out...last year after all of the rain they were everywhere!

BTW: They now have a vaccine for venemous snake bites for dogs...my Lucy just got her first vaccine (two required). I figured if a spider gets her so might a snake...she sticks her nose everywhere.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:04 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,510,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
Seen one recluse, I think. I didn't get a good look at it before I smashed it.
That's the ticket!

Old 04-05-2009, 06:11 PM

9,577 posts, read 4,687,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Bit four times by recluse. .
I got bit 12 times just yesterday, never did see him either, but boy, ya know when your bit, Tap, Tap then ya swing real hard and nice smallmouth bass tries to tear your arm off... I've found that after being bit several times a day a cold Budweiser will usually heal your arm pain...

Old 04-06-2009, 07:28 AM

321 posts, read 522,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
If the tornadoes don't get you, the brown recluses will. If neither of those get you, the deadly copper-headed water rattler will. Be very afraid of Missouri.

And I've got some ocean front property for sale in Arizona.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:06 AM

4,679 posts, read 7,694,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I got bit 12 times just yesterday, never did see him either, but boy, ya know when your bit, Tap, Tap then ya swing real hard and nice smallmouth bass tries to tear your arm off... I've found that after being bit several times a day a cold Budweiser will usually heal your arm pain...
Bugwiper barley flavoured water may work, but moonshine works more faster, betterer.

Quote:
If the tornadoes don't get you, the brown recluses will. If neither of those get you, the deadly copper-headed water rattler will. Be very afraid of Missouri.
Well now, lets not forget also the ice storms, the high summer-time humidity, the earthquakes, the house-swallowing sinkholes, and the leprosy-carrying migrant armadillos that are starting to overrun our state too from the south.

Back on this orb track, following some more good info:
The Official Brown Recluse Spider
Common Spiders In and Around Homes

Old 04-06-2009, 03:29 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,510,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone sailor View Post
And I've got some ocean front property for sale in Arizona.
LOL! You are hilarious. You know, you may have the finest-honed sense of humor of anyone on the Missouri Forum.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:54 PM

18,958 posts, read 15,719,792 times
Quote:
LOL! You are hilarious. You know, you may have the finest-honed sense of humor of anyone on the Missouri Forum.
I kinda thought you had that honor all sewed up, OB. Surely we're not s'posed to take everything you post seriously, are we?

Old 04-06-2009, 03:59 PM

287 posts, read 743,166 times
I wondered the same thing when we moved here as I'd never heard of them before. People who say they don't have them or have never seen one, just aren't up at 4 am in their attic or corner of the closet when they're out and about We're on a regular pest control schedule and I still catch one on a sticky trap behind the couch or fridge every few months. The best way to get rid of them is to get rid of all other bugs--that's what they eat. If you eliminate other types of bugs in your house, then you'll seriously cut down on their numbers. And for the record, we've been here for 4 years and no one's been bit yet (knock on wood!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area