Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 14,889 times

Advertisements

Ok, please help. I have an interview with a spa in the Lake of the Ozarks coming up. The offer assistance to relocate and that is a good thing cause we don't have the money to move right now.

My husband and I have both heard wonderful things about the schools in the area, but other than that we have no clue about this area. We live in southeast missouri right now and have been looking to move, but not too far so we can still be somewhat close to family.

Is this place overly touristy? I mean I know that there will be a lot of them at least I hope so for my job sake, but will my kids be able to live a normal life there year round? Are there decent things to do there for young children? I have heard that there are a lot of bars and stuff, but we aren't into that scene.

I just don't know what to think about it. It is a big move and commitment to move my family of 5 out there. I mean, my son just graduated kindergarten and doesn't want to move anyway, and then I have another son who is 2 and a daughter who is one. i just want them to have the best life I can give them. And I would like them to keep in touch with their country roots as well.

Basicly, is this a good place for me to consider moving my family? How are the daycares? Where can I go to look for rental properties, or "rent to own" propoerties? How does the cost of living compare to Southeast Missouri? Any help you guys could give me would be very appreciated. I guess I am just scared. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 11:44 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,391,020 times
Well, I'll have to chime in here because even though I have not lived in Missouri for many years, I sure spent a lot of time at Lake of the Ozarks! One of my best friends was raised right on the lake there, Sunrise Beach or Osage Beach, can't for the life of me remember which because as an adult she lived at one and she was raised at the the other. Anyway, it's a beautiful place if you like fishing, boating, camping etc. Not too far from a couple of larger cities like Springfield, or even St. Louis.

Sure there's lots of tourists! That's what keeps the place going! I was raised near Roaring River, Silver Dollar City, and the lakes down in that area. It's fun meeting people from all over the country, the world, even.

For rentals, you might try looking at the online version of local newspapers like the Camdenton Lake Sun: Homepage - Camdenton, MO - Lake Sun Leader or one of the other area papers. And Craigslist.

LakeJunkie and other "locals" will no doubt have lots of help for you too.

I just couldn't resist the chance to plug such a great location that holds many happy memories for me! Best of luck to you.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:27 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,072 times
Wink Touristas...

Kscapino...first of all welcome to our little corner of the world!

I can't think of a better place to raise children than any of these lake areas in Missouri. My next door neighbor kids have it rough, tho...playing in the lake, running off to SDC any time they want, having birthday parties at one of the many local go kart tracks...whew!

Any lake is going to have it's tourist season. Some are busier than others. And in any area, including busy Lake of the Ozarks, you can find a home that's "out of the way" of the worst of the tourist/party scene. Just find a nice easy-going realtor to be your tour guide. I'd suggest someone fairly new, not one of the big shots.

Anyway, it is a big decision, but it's the kind of thing that inspired most of our forefathers to get on a boat...or plane...or raft...and come to this grand country in the beginning! I applaud your courage and encourage you to write down the pros and cons of each decision on paper to help you & your husband can make a good decision.

Please...keep us posted! There's a wild and wacky bunch of folks hang out around here...you're liable to get all kinds of advice...

~Lake Junkie

Old 05-15-2009, 07:57 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,651,577 times
Oh. but to leave the beauty of SouthEast Missouri, think of all the tourist destinations, Broseley, Dudley and Fisk......Ahhhhhh the good times

Old 05-25-2009, 02:31 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
Yeah the lake gets a lot of tourists in the summer. The good news is the main drag is now 5 lanes and there is plenty of ways to spend your money. However, the scenery is beautiful and you will never want to leave. You are better off living in town. Less problems with ticks, snakes and some of he other creepy critters that live in the woods.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:05 AM

4 posts, read 21,734 times
Kscapino .... I think Lake of the Ozarks is the best place to raise a family!!

My husband and I moved our family of 5 to Camdenton 3 1/2 years ago from CA and we love it here!! Yes we get a lot of tourist in the summer but it's only 3 months out of the year and you learn to deal with it considering that's how most of us make a living. It is mostly crazy in Lake Ozark and north side of Osage Beach so if that is a concern I would really suggest living in Camdenton or one of the surrounding smaller towns. We did not know the area at all when we moved here and I am now very thankful that we live in Camdenton due to the tourist and it's close to the schools.

As for the schools.. there is Camdenton R-111 school district www.camdentonschools.org and School of the Osage. Camdenton is much larger, the district has Osage Beach Elem and Hurricane Deck in Sunrise Beach these are both K-4 then there is Dogwood Elem(pre-2), Hawthorn Elem(3&4) Oak Ridge(5&6), Middle school(7&8) and the High School. These schools are all on one big campus in town. I have to admit when we moved here my kids and I were quite schocked that the schools were so big... I figured small town means small schools... I was wrong!! Pretty much all of the small towns in the area are in this school district. Aside from that, we love the schools, the teachers are great and my kids have done very well. They offer so many different programs: sports, band, choir, art, even in the summer. Sorry I can't give you much info. on School of the Osage, I know that Lake Ozark and Brumley are in that district and that it is much smaller.

As someone else said I would look in Lake Sun Leader www.lakesunleader.com for rentals. Since my girls are older I don't know much about the daycares, I know of a few that I haven't heard anything bad about but most of the people I know their kids go to in-home daycares.

I hope that I have been helpful, and please feel free to ask any more questions.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:28 PM

10 posts, read 42,574 times
Default live a bit south of Lake

Look south of the Lake to live. South on Highway 5 maybe. The city is putting in a new much larger highway from Lebanon to the Lake. Call me if you have any questions 417-664-7970, I would be happy to send you info about Lebanon,MO. Check www.Trulia.com for stats on schools anywhere. GoodLuck, Nicole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area