U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-01-2009, 01:20 PM

25 posts, read 35,543 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are buying a home in Republic, MO. Our credit is not so good and we are having a terrible time finding affordable homeowners insurance. We have never filed any kind of insurance claim ever, yet we are getting quotes back of 2,000.00 for 130,000 in coverage all due to our credit. Does anyone know of a local insurer who might not weigh credit so heavily. Any ideas, referrals, or help would be greatly appreciated.:
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 10:00 PM

971 posts, read 948,550 times
Try State Farm in Nixa. I have great coverage and my credit is not so good. David Dupree is his name.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 06-01-2009 at 11:10 PM..

Old 06-02-2009, 05:10 PM

12 posts, read 18,659 times
I'm glad you brought this up. It caused me to get a comparable quote for property in Missouri vs. our property here in California. We pay $504 here annually, and the quote I received for MO was $1150... more than double. Must be the weather and all the resultant claims.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:38 PM

192 posts, read 525,418 times
Yes, all the claims (because of the weather) that have taken place in the past couple years is the reason for the higher homeowners insurance rates. I learned this from our agent when we got insurance a month ago. We moved to the area from South Dakota, and though property taxes are much less here in Missouri, homeowners insurance is much higher!!

Old 06-11-2009, 05:43 PM

41 posts, read 114,777 times
Try "Missouri Farm Bureau" I switched to them May 1st and saved $300.00 over my previous insurer American Family, have $200.000 coverage for $498.00 a year.

Shortly after changing, we received over $25,000 in storm damage, Missouri Farm Bureau came out, was very good about covering all the damage. NOW, I'll see what they charge me next year.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:09 PM

10,866 posts, read 15,291,434 times
Default I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugthephone View Post
I'm glad you brought this up. It caused me to get a comparable quote for property in Missouri vs. our property here in California. We pay $504 here annually, and the quote I received for MO was $1150... more than double. Must be the weather and all the resultant claims.
California insurance agencies are not allowed to "charge for dirt". Mu daughter is in the business. Most of the midwestern states do. You are forced to pay for full replacement whether you want it or not. Thus we "pay for dirt". Your house is probably worth 10x more than mine and my insurance is $720 annually

Old 06-11-2009, 09:15 PM

10,866 posts, read 15,291,434 times
Default Look Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoria1016 View Post
My husband and I are buying a home in Republic, MO. Our credit is not so good and we are having a terrible time finding affordable homeowners insurance. We have never filed any kind of insurance claim ever, yet we are getting quotes back of 2,000.00 for 130,000 in coverage all due to our credit. Does anyone know of a local insurer who might not weigh credit so heavily. Any ideas, referrals, or help would be greatly appreciated.:
Insurance companies do no rate the house. They rate your credit. If you do not have good credit, you will have a problem finding someone who will insure you and your insurance will be high. These companies are terrified they will insure someone poor who torches the house for the money. Its dumb, but it is a nationwide mentality.

As far as I know you cannot buy a house without pre-paying one year insurance. If you are buying on contract, rather than a regular loan, that too may be a problem. On the other hand you may be able to buy the same house through Rural Development if it is in worthy condition.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:11 AM

95 posts, read 292,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGreen View Post
Try "Missouri Farm Bureau" I switched to them May 1st and saved $300.00 over my previous insurer American Family, have $200.000 coverage for $498.00 a year.

Shortly after changing, we received over $25,000 in storm damage, Missouri Farm Bureau came out, was very good about covering all the damage. NOW, I'll see what they charge me next year.
After reading this post I called Missouri Farm Bureau and switching to them will save us $190.00 a year. Thanks for the info. Bye bye Allstate!

Old 10-01-2009, 11:31 PM

7 posts, read 27,978 times
Unhappy Did you find homeowners insurance?

Hi. We have recently bought a small home in the Lake Ozarks area and had insurance for 6 months and paid all premiums on time. Then the company canceled us because we put in a woodstove for heat! Our insurance will be gone soon and we must keep the house insured or lose it. We have the same credit problem and wondered if you found a decent carrier yet?? Anyone got any ideas?

Old 11-11-2009, 12:51 PM

33 posts, read 48,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriOrBust! View Post
Hi. We have recently bought a small home in the Lake Ozarks area and had insurance for 6 months and paid all premiums on time. Then the company canceled us because we put in a woodstove for heat! Our insurance will be gone soon and we must keep the house insured or lose it. We have the same credit problem and wondered if you found a decent carrier yet?? Anyone got any ideas?
I had no idea that the insurance could cancel your policy over adding a woodstove. Sorry to read this...hopefully you can find coverage soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area