U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 05:06 PM

226 posts, read 913,023 times

Advertisements

You guys are scaring me. I'm leaving Phoenix to get away from the drugs, crime and illegals. Starting to question if I'm making the right decision. So when looking for a home I should look around Ozark, Nixa, Battlefield, Clever area? This is the better part of town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 06:04 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,693,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heaton View Post
You guys are scaring me. I'm leaving Phoenix to get away from the drugs, crime and illegals. Starting to question if I'm making the right decision. So when looking for a home I should look around Ozark, Nixa, Battlefield, Clever area? This is the better part of town?
Nixa or Ozark I've never seen nothing bad out of there.

Ok I've been to New York City,Chicago,Los Angeles.Lived in San Diego and Kansas City.The Bad places in these cities look to be the Oldest and most run down. Springfield is spread out there is pockets that like these other cities they are in the older more run down parts of town,this is where you will have most of the trouble.

On a whole Springfield is good for the fact is most of it is New,more money and people looking for a Better way of life.

If this makes sence.

hillman

Old 07-04-2009, 11:35 PM

20 posts, read 81,497 times
heaton, don't be afraid to move here it is fine. There is absolutely no comparisson between Springfield and Phoenix crime wise. I have friends who moved there from Springfield and they complain all the time about how much "the real world" sucks, meaning a lot of crime in Phoenix. Of course there is alway's crime anywhere you go, but there is no comparison of the crime in Springfield and Phoenix (or any other city similar to Springfield's size).

Old 07-07-2009, 08:22 AM

418 posts, read 1,030,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
You know what? It all a perception. Now Hillman lives back in the sticks where you can't even get the UPS man to deliver...So for Him to go into Springfield and maybee see some punks on the street corner acting tough and to read these articles and remember the Springfield he remebers this a a very real problem... Now say you and me come from CAlifornia or Arizona where they have razor wire on the streetsigns to prevent graffitti, and the schools have police stations inside them..a couple of wannabe bangers is nothing....here's a story from last spring: Wife and I are walking thru a park in Bella Vista Arkansas watching the lighteneing bugs (they don't have them in California) I see a couple of late teen early 20's guys coming our way, my wife is getting behind me and I'm ready to smack the bigger guy in the nose, when he says " evening Maam, Sir, Y'all watch out the water's high down that way and flooded over the walkway".....Needless to say we weren't CAli anymore.....
Very good point Bassman.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:49 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,128,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
You know what? It all a perception.
ditto...of course there is crime in Springfield, but compared to other similar sized cities across the nation, it's nothing. After living in New Jersey for most of my life, I have to chuckle when folks complain about crime in Springfield.

For further proof, watch the Springfield T.V. news for 1 week, and then watch the Kansas City news for 1 week (I get both at home). Then (if possible) watch the news from Philly or NYC for 1 week. The crime the Springfield news airs, wouldn't even make the news in many other areas.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:09 PM

6 posts, read 11,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
ditto...of course there is crime in Springfield, but compared to other similar sized cities across the nation, it's nothing. After living in New Jersey for most of my life, I have to chuckle when folks complain about crime in Springfield.

For further proof, watch the Springfield T.V. news for 1 week, and then watch the Kansas City news for 1 week (I get both at home). Then (if possible) watch the news from Philly or NYC for 1 week. The crime the Springfield news airs, wouldn't even make the news in many other areas.
Well said Christina! We moved back to the Ozarks from Houston, TX. I couldn't WAIT to get back to the safety and security of SW MO. Is it perfect? No but what is? I lived in Houston for 3 years and NEVER watched the local news. I couldn't stomach it. Too much bad news, crime, and so depressing.

KY3 news in Springfield, on the other hand, I watch it every night when possible. You're right most of the headline news locally wouldn't even make it on the local news in MANY other cities. I also grew up in Phoenix so I know first hand what it's like in other places. I'll visit those places but never ever want to move back!

God bless the Ozarks!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:13 AM

226 posts, read 913,023 times
I'm starting to feel better. Thanks Ozarkgirls and Christina.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:22 AM

414 posts, read 1,328,148 times
It's clear to me that the methodology of this "study" is suspect. To say that NYC (who can afford to live there?) and Montgomery, AL (horrible place, I've lived there myself) are among the top 100 places to raise a family is a joke. And to say that Springfield is in the bottom 10 is an even worse joke. I grew up in Spgfld, no longer live there, but it is a wonderful place to raise a family. Reasonably good schools, affordable cost of living, plenty of things to do, what more can you ask??

Few of these so-called "best places to live" articles are worth the paper (or bandwidth) they are printed on. That's what makes it so valuable to have a site like this where you can actually talk to people who live in a particular location and get the real low-down.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:40 AM

12 posts, read 48,547 times
Hmmmmm, maybe you need to get out more?????

Old 07-16-2009, 05:51 PM
dnw

11 posts, read 35,009 times
The list is based on a formula and it clearly doesn't take crime or other factors into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area