U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 12:46 PM

10 posts, read 33,960 times

Advertisements

I just got back from a trip to springfield and the surrounding area last week. I found Springfield to be a fairly friendly community with many attributes. The one thing i did find was a racial issue and a distrust of "outsiders". I being from the midwest most my life blended in fine. My husband with his Boston accent and our friend who was traveling with us and happens to be black experienced the other side. It got to the point my husband asked me to approach people as we got a better response. I do have to say some of the kindest people were in the restaraunts, waitresses and even managers were above friendly and helpful. The Ryans buffet and waffle house especially on a street that begins with K I think. near hwy 65 in the north end. Both were more than kind. I was disturbed as was my husband to see KKK grafitti on overpasses as we headed north ( I`m Jewish). I know you can run into these things anywhere, but after 3 years in new england, I am now used to less prejuidice and little blatant anti semitism. ( people are more subtle here lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 08:02 PM

167 posts, read 387,449 times
you are thinking of Kearney st. much of that side of town is considered the "rough" side of town

Old 07-19-2009, 09:56 PM

380 posts, read 815,123 times
I think you have to look at the criteria by which these cities were rated. Commute time to work; (everyone knows about commuter gridlock in Springfield), amount spent per person to maintain city parks; number of museums per person; student to teacher ratio; median value of a home; pediatricians per person; unemployment rates; amount spent on education per student; student test scores and the divorce rate. If these things are really important to you, then you best stay away from Springfield. If you can live the rest of your life without visiting a museum or a city park, if you're home schooling, and have a job, Springfield might be great for you.

I used to live in a city that was rated one of the ten best places in America to retire. We were stunned. How higher than average taxes, high cost of living, bitterly cold temperatures and 84" of snow each winter added up to a great place to retire, I don't know. We lived there but we retired to Missouri.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:05 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,246,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I think it is good. That would mean not so many people will want to move to the area.
Yes, especially famblies! Enough with the alter of the child, already. Springfield, maybe it's just a really, really nice place for GROWN UPS to live. Hooray!

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-20-2009, 07:24 AM

10 posts, read 33,960 times
Your right, Kearny street, rough side or not, we met nice people there.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:32 PM

17 posts, read 36,369 times
Default I want to like it here

I moved here three years ago. I really don't want to move again, but I haven't yet really found my place here. In terms of compatible people, I would probably be better off living in a big city like San Francisco or Chicago. But I don't like living in a vast urban sprawl.

So I guess I'm just screwed. Springfield is pleasant and decent, but I need more pizzazz. I'm not going to get it.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:36 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,246,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorzero View Post
I moved here three years ago. I really don't want to move again, but I haven't yet really found my place here. In terms of compatible people, I would probably be better off living in a big city like San Francisco or Chicago. But I don't like living in a vast urban sprawl.

So I guess I'm just screwed. Springfield is pleasant and decent, but I need more pizzazz. I'm not going to get it.
Pizzazz? Seems like there are tons of things to do and see in Springfield. What are you looking for, specifically? Of course, if you are looking for a sophisticated night spot, I can feel your pain. I attempted in vain to find an adult drinking establishment that offered upscale smooth jazz or something similar and was met with "deer in the headlights" look. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-21-2009, 09:27 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,554,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorzero View Post
Springfield is pleasant and decent, but I need more pizzazz. I'm not going to get it.
I'm afraid that you're correct. Springfield has a lot of great features, but it will never feel like Chicago or San Francisco. May I ask what brought you to Springfield?

Old 07-21-2009, 10:53 AM

393 posts, read 1,570,451 times
Heaton, don't let the talk about gangs, etc scare you away from here. Yes they are here, yes there are illegals, yes there are homes being broken into and robbed. But statiscally, I'd bet it is a small number and frequency. I have no facts to back this up, nor do I care to take time to hunt for them. Someone who cares more than I do, will do this for me, I feel sure. This place is probably (again w/o hard facts) 95% Caucasian and there seems to be a general fear of those who are "different". And I don't mean just racial. So if you are one of the many escaping Cali, you can simply follow the trend here, move to Ozark or Nixa to escape the "horrors" of living or sending your children to school amongst the working class of inner Spfld, and commute to Spfld to work. Or live in one of the many small towns(?) in the surrounding area and distance yourself away from everyone else.

This would be why I post so seldom in the MO forum, folks.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:59 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,554,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post
This would be why I post so seldom in the MO forum, folks.
Because you have formed the impression that the residents of Nixa and Ozark feel like they're better than you and other Springfield residents??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area