Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 04:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,581 times

Advertisements

If you're planning to move to springfield for Chistian/family values, think again. I was shocked to walk through walmart & see thong underwear for little girls that said "kiss me" displayed in the main isle everyone uses to get to the other end of the store. Family restaurant in Kimberling City named Bearded Clam? This is the truth so my post should NOT be deleted. It is not a wholesome place as the large # of churches & bible school would have you believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 04:59 PM

246 posts, read 627,601 times
Okay I must admit I had to look it up online to see what your
offense is to Bearded Clam...maybe I've lived in a small town too
long or am too old or something, but honestly I didn't know. Did
it ever occur to you that maybe the restaurant was there before
the slang was invented? Also with the Wal-Mart thing, I think
the same items are in all Wal-Mart stores regardless of if it's in
a Bible Belt or not. That doesn't mean it's appropriate but a lot
of things in this world aren't appropriate and you don't have to buy them!
No one place is wholesome in my opinion. At least not anymore. But
some places are more wholesome than others. I hope you have a
great evening.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:04 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,160,473 times
I would never have thought of The Bearded Clam to have a sexual connotation until you brought it up. Isn't bearded clam an actual type of clam? I wouldn't automatically assume the name means something sexual.

Also, I'm sure Walmart delivers the same merchandise to every store, and doesn't decide which areas are more wholesome and therefore should not have little girls' underwear that says "kiss me." I also don't see underwear saying "kiss me" as meaning something overtly sexual, either. I may not have bought it for my own daughters, but I wouldn't be overly offended by it or think it meant something perverse, either.

On the whole, southern Missouri IS more Christian/family values than a whole lot of other places. My parents lived down there and the communities they lived in were all about church and doing the right thing and being a good neighbor. Of COURSE there are people who are not like that down there, too. But I'd say for the most part it is a good, wholesome place to raise a family if that is what you are looking for. Much more so than Kansas City or St. Louis, although I raised my kids in Kansas City and they are fine. Still, the pace is slower in southern Missouri and people tend to be nicer, friendlier, and yes, have family values. Not all of them, but the majority of them.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,581 times
I don't agree someone should ignore it. Those underwear are disgusting, and I would assume a store manager has discretion where to display what. If he does not, shouldn't he demand it? People demand it in other places. You need to see the commercial for the restaurant to understand the question mark.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:43 PM

246 posts, read 627,601 times
Who said ignore it? If you are that offended then
complain to the Wal-Mart manager. And don't shop
there anymore. The restaurant I know nothing about
so no comment.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:54 PM

167 posts, read 450,339 times
After living here for a number of years, let me assure you that it is very family friendly compared to the west coast, and perhaps the upper Midwest.
Nowhere is perfect, and national trends dictate fashion styles, so apparel you find in a store will be national. by all means talk to the manager and lodge a complaint.
I don't think anybody would claim everybody and every venue here is exclusively moral, upright or Christian. This is the world after all. We (as Christians) are to be in the world, not of it. if you were thinking this was a Christian disneyland, you are mistaken.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:31 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,409,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paula_graph View Post
I don't agree someone should ignore it. Those underwear are disgusting, and I would assume a store manager has discretion where to display what. If he does not, shouldn't he demand it? People demand it in other places. You need to see the commercial for the restaurant to understand the question mark.
Did you take it upon yourself to talk with the store manager at Wal-Mart? Seems rather hypocritical to complain to the forum if you didn't bother to take your own stance.

Same with the restaurant. If you don't voice your opinion directly to the source, how will the owners know about your displeasure?

I don't begrudge you an opinion. You're entitled to your views and have every right to share them. I just wonder if you have conveyed your opinions to the people directly responsible for your angst?

Old 02-23-2009, 09:07 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,040,454 times
Walmart is a major chain, and even the store managers have little say in how the layout is set up. The layout is designed at the corporate level. By all means, if what you saw offended you, then contact WalMart. But it bears little reflection on the Springfield area, IMO.
As for the restaurant, I found their website and checked out their merchandise; I do think the name is a subtle, "adult" pun. Frankly no child would ever understand the connotation (unless the child had some other, serious issues going on) so I don't find this offensive at all. If you don't like it, then don't eat there.
You will be hard-pressed to find any large town/metropolitan area that is completely family oriented. Springfield has bars, nightclubs, adult stores...but overall, I think it is much more family oriented than many other towns its size throughout the country.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:15 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,366,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcol View Post
Did it ever occur to you that maybe the restaurant was there before the slang was invented?
That's what I had always assumed.

Last edited by Lake Junkie; 02-23-2009 at 09:23 AM..

Old 02-24-2009, 09:03 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,459,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
That's what I had always assumed.
I assure you, that slang was around before the restaurant, it is an intentional connotation. I never really considered it a "family" restaurant since they sell a lot of alcohol and now have a patio with live music. Seems more like a bar that sells food to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area