U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 06:09 AM
Ziz Ziz started this thread

4 posts, read 6,608 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I want to thank you all who contribute here and make it easy for people to know how it feels to move to a new city and how to adapt to this new place.

I'm an international student planning to study my master of business administration (MBA) at Missouri State University early August. I'm from Saudi Arabia and will be relocating with my wife and my six-month baby. I have some questions that I hope you could share your opinion on.

1. I'm planning to rent in apartment complexes (luxury apartments) the sort that they have a swimming pool and fitness room and are all managed. My question is would it be possible for me to rent like this. Because a friend of mine told me that I have to have credit history or a social security number in the US. I don't have any. Please advise me.

2. Do you know a supermarket that sells Halal meat?

3. My wife doesn't speak any English, and she wants to learn it for the purpose of joining the society & making friends. I heard that there's some sort of English institute mainly for housewives and single moms. So that she could get to know friends easily. Do you know any thing like this?

Any other advise on enjoying my stay in Springfield would be appreciated.

Thank you very much once again.

Regards,
Abdulaziz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 02:52 PM

880 posts, read 2,530,075 times
Default Student information

I can't answer any of your questions but I would suspect that MSU has someone that can help students entering the area get information and/or help. Social Security numbers and credit cards are a way of life for citizens. However, lots of people come here legally to work and/or go to school and wouldn't be expected to have either right away. I would highly recommend to talk to an adivsor at MSU before you get led down a path that may be incorrect.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:22 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,553,282 times
Mrs. C's advice is spot-on. MSU is certainly familiar with all of the situations that you and your wife are going to encounter when you arrive in Springfield.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:21 PM

Thank you for your help. I will contact the university int'l student office.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:36 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,999,560 times
first of all, the business school at missouri state is great...got my undergrad and MBA there.

for learning English, check out this website: English Language Institute

renting an apartment: I think you should be able to get an apartment off campus...just need to have the paper work that proves that you are in the country legally and that you can pay for the place... Missouri State also has on campus apartments for families...

springfield doesnt have a place for Halal meat...but there is a lot of places within a 2 and half hour drive
http://find.mapmuse.com/re1/map_bran...ALAL_GROCERIES,

Old 07-12-2009, 11:34 PM

SouthCity09

Thank you very much for your reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area