Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:17 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times

Advertisements

We made it. After months and years of research, a lovely trip back and a lot of valuable information here on City-Data we are finally in Missouri for good!

We have landed on the shores of Table Rock Lake in the Ozarks of SW MO with a mailing address of the booming metropolis of Blue Eye -- 192 souls in Blue Eye, MO and 36 in Blue Eye, AR. We're approximately nine miles from the state borders, four miles from the closest gas station and convenience store and 20 miles from any shopping of note, as well as 23 miles from Branson.

Nature abounds with rabbits, coyotes, chipmunks, deer, racoons, opposoms, squirrels and birds of every feather, to include a bunch of illegal alien Canadian geese. We have a lake view from our front deck as the water is just across the street from us and we're in a beautiful, park-like setting which is extremely pedestrian friendly.

Best of all, neighbors have proved friendly, welcoming and accepting and after all, the best measure of a neighborhood is the people who live there. We couldn't be happier.

Last evening, thanks to Lake Junkie, we made our first foray onto the lake to watch fireworks over the water put on by the American Pyrotechnic Association which was holding their annual convention in Branson. A great show, wonderful company and a delightful introduction to the lake.

Our home is comfortable, manageable and has everything we wanted; especially a large kitchen. We're in the process of putting our own touches to it and in time it will be everything we dreamed of. We feel extremely blessed, and have been. Lake Junkie steered us towards a real gem.

Even with all our planning and research we couldn't have even begun to imagine a more perfect setting for our retirement years. We wish all of you who are also searching equal luck in landing right where you want to be.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 09-27-2009 at 08:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 08:23 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
Welcome home.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:16 AM

809 posts, read 163,429 times
illegal alien Canadian geese

CM: Did you have to go there? Glad to see you made it safe and sound. Been wondering.....

Old 09-27-2009, 01:03 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
Sweet, Congrats...

Old 09-27-2009, 01:12 PM

Hey Curm,
On another note, I was wondering how you moved your stuff? MOvers, U-haul, Sold and bought new etc????? Did you both drive out in seperate cars?

Old 09-27-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Hey Curm,
On another note, I was wondering how you moved your stuff? MOvers, U-haul, Sold and bought new etc????? Did you both drive out in seperate cars?
We donated a lot of stuff, including furniture, before we moved. We then contracted with one company that parked a trailer for us to have loaded and charged by the linear foot, not by the pound. Another company packed and loaded us and then the first one drove our goods to MO where the second company had a crew unload us. All-in-all it probably saved us about $2-3,000 as opposed to a commercial mover and with no tricks, gimmicks or extra charges at the receiving end. It was relatively painless as others did the grunt work. We then drove our one car back with our two cats and a few days after the house closed our goods were delivered and unloaded. One car is all we've ever had (we walked to work before we retired) and my wife can no longer drive because of her reconstructed shoulder anyway.

Now we're newly furnishing the living room, except for our antiques which are here, the master bedroom and a new desk and chair for the "office." The guest room, where we're currently sleeping, has our antique bedroom set in it. We're calling it the "Lincoln Bedroom" and taking pre-paid reservations.

Oh! Wait a minute. That's already been done, hasn't it?

Old 09-27-2009, 02:00 PM

Ahhh I've read about that here on city - data. DId you use ABF? I've never heard anthing Bad about them??

Old 09-27-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Ahhh I've read about that here on city - data. DId you use ABF? I've never heard anthing Bad about them??
Yes we did and we were very pleased all around.

Old 09-27-2009, 02:19 PM

Good Info thanks.............

Old 09-27-2009, 04:59 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,856 times
Just in time for what should be a marvelous autumn season! So happy for you and Mrs. Curmudgeon.

Mrs. Northbayeric isn't exactly Barbra Streisand or Whoopi Goldberg or any of those other members of the Hollywood glitterati--and I'm not Woody Harrelson or Sean Penn. But if your "Lincoln Bedroom" is still available in another 12 to 18 months (probably the next time we could attempt to vacation there and in Oklahoma), we'd love to meet you, Lake Junkie, Mrs. Genealogy, Da Jammer, and the whole rest of you at last! Enjoy your new home to the fullest, and continue to keep in touch with us.

"As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area