U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 06:12 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,322,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Just in time for what should be a marvelous autumn season! So happy for you and Mrs. Curmudgeon.

Mrs. Northbayeric isn't exactly Barbra Streisand or Whoopi Goldberg or any of those other members of the Hollywood glitterati--and I'm not Woody Harrelson or Sean Penn. But if your "Lincoln Bedroom" is still available in another 12 to 18 months (probably the next time we could attempt to vacation there and in Oklahoma), we'd love to meet you, Lake Junkie, Mrs. Genealogy, Da Jammer, and the whole rest of you at last! Enjoy your new home to the fullest, and continue to keep in touch with us.

"As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."
We and the bedroom will still be here then. Glitterati need not apply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 06:51 PM

1,817 posts, read 5,765,696 times
Glad to hear you made it! Hope everything stays wonderful for you

Old 09-27-2009, 07:00 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,842,224 times
Welcome home to the SHOW ME state! Just in time for the lovely colors of Fall in Missouri too.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
Glad to hear you made it! Hope everything stays wonderful for you
Thank you. We have every confidence that it will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Welcome home to the SHOW ME state! Just in time for the lovely colors of Fall in Missouri too.
Would you believe me if I said we planned it that way?

The timing was a bit beyond our control but couldn't have been more perfect.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:58 PM

794 posts, read 1,491,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We made it. After months and years of research, a lovely trip back and a lot of valuable information here on City-Data we are finally in Missouri for good!

We have landed on the shores of Table Rock Lake in the Ozarks of SW MO with a mailing address of the booming metropolis of Blue Eye
Sportswriters all over the area used to love to incorporate a reference to highschool kids down there playing "Blue Eye Ball" - no matter what the sport. It's funny the first 30 or 40 times you hear it.

Somehow you have managed to come half way across the country and land smack in the middle of some of the most beautiful country in the US - maybe anywhere. I may be prejudiced by the fact that my ancestors homesteaded just outside of Blue Eye, but I don't think so.

You are arriving at the most propicious time. Fall varies from merely beautiful, to spectacularly amazing, depending upon the year. But then comes winter, glorious winter! While you do need to prepare for the possiblity of getting snowed in, there seldom is much snow from the Ark. border south. Meanwhile, with the leaves off the trees and shrubs, all the insects inactive, and all the tourists hibernating you can get out and both see and enjoy the country. The bluffs, the streams, the valleys, you can actually see it all, and enjoy it without a cloud of gnats suspended in a haze of humidity taking all the fun out of it.

Get one, or several, of the books by Tim Ernst to get introduced the area.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,565 times
Default Looking for a place??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We finally made it after cancelling two earlier trips due to my wife's surgeries. We arrived in Branson late last night and are ready to go look at houses!

First impressions from a Californian: It's green, green, green here; grass, trees, crops, people's lawns, you name it. The highways we traveled are just two lanes in every direction, most have a speed limit of 70 and most people observe it. Traffic doesn't seem to exist and the roadsides are clean, clean, clean. Trucks can also drive the full speed limit and truckers here love to dress-up their rigs with lots of exra lights in amber and red. They used to do that in California but naturally, there's now a law against it.

It was fairly flat until we headed south from Springfield and hit the hills of the Ozarks. Then it was like a roller coaster ride up and down the hills. Shortly we were in lake country -- Table Rock, Bull Shoals and Taneycomo, and then Branson. The entire way from Kansas City there was water; rivers, streams, branches, Truman Lake, Stockton Lake, ponds, etc.

A couple of things we noticed: They take seriously and preserve history here with museums of all sorts, halls of fame, historical parks and preservation; it's nice to see, as were all the tall flagpoles in front of houses proudly flying our country's flag; people thanking me for my service (noticed my cap), et al.

I think we're going to like it here A LOT! Lunch with Lake Junkie and the adventure begins!
Are you looking for a place to rent? If so, I have a great 1br. available. Contact Sue at 623-251-5544. Thanks!

Old 10-20-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smckelvey View Post
Are you looking for a place to rent? If so, I have a great 1br. available. Contact Sue at 623-251-5544. Thanks!
Thanks but we bought a house right on -- well, on the shore of -- Table Rock Lake so we're good to go! Moved in about six weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area