U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:40 PM

1,817 posts, read 5,769,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Curmudgeon, you sound like so many others who have come here because they visited once or twice before and thought it beautiful and quaint, slow-paced and laid-back, cheap and easy. Then life got hard and they began complaining and then went away. Remember our friend Nexxie who couldn't find happiness in a beautiful home on 120 acres next to the Gasconade? Here are a couple of her posts to refresh your memory and to slow down others who are reading your posts and thinking about doing what you are preparing to do.

After the leaves fall and this place browns up for the winter, don't come crying to me or any other Missourian that the place is ugly. If we get ice this winter, don't whine that the weather isn't what you expected. When tornadoes strike throughout southern Missouri next spring--and they will--don't get all scaredy cat on us.

You think you've done sufficient research and I hope you have. Welcome and good luck.
There are those of us who fell completely and totally in love with Missouri. I'm just sayin...... It can happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 07:42 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,340,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
Glad to hear you have arrived in the Show-Me State!

Missouri may be green, green, green now, but come mid-November it will be brown, brown, brown [see attached picture]

I love how the seasons change here though, and can't wait for fall and winter after spending two years in Texas with only two seasons! I'm always amazed at just how different the landscapes look during every season...it is almost like living in 4 totally different areas.
I think that's the key - four distinct seasons. There are only two in most of CA as well. Looking forward to doubling our pleasure; doubling our fun!

Old 08-05-2009, 07:49 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,340,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Curmudgeon, you sound like so many others who have come here because they visited once or twice before and thought it beautiful and quaint, slow-paced and laid-back, cheap and easy. Then life got hard and they began complaining and then went away. Remember our friend Nexxie who couldn't find happiness in a beautiful home on 120 acres next to the Gasconade? Here are a couple of her posts to refresh your memory and to slow down others who are reading your posts and thinking about doing what you are preparing to do.

After the leaves fall and this place browns up for the winter, don't come crying to me or any other Missourian that the place is ugly. If we get ice this winter, don't whine that the weather isn't what you expected. When tornadoes strike throughout southern Missouri next spring--and they will--don't get all scaredy cat on us.

You think you've done sufficient research and I hope you have. Welcome and good luck.
Thank you OB, on all counts - your concerns, the welcome and the luck.

You needn't be concerned for me. Used to winter drab, been through ice storms many times and survived a tornado that came within a couple of feet of our house. I think we can handle it!

But if not, you'll be the first to know.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:12 PM

246 posts, read 547,839 times
The first time after moving there was a huge tornado outbreak in the Ozarks I was petrified for months and months, and nothing ever came close to our area. It can scare the crap out of you for sure!! Those storms just keep rolling through, all tornadic. Oh the ice storm was a
joy too - not. But know what? We ain't moving - LOL!
Welcome to Missouri, hope you find the house you love!

Old 08-06-2009, 07:34 AM

418 posts, read 1,030,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
What...do you have a file folder labeled..."unhappy posts"?

What a life you lead....
No, OB brings some much needed balance to these discussions. Just because someone isn't all rah-rah cheerleading, doesn't mean their posts aren't useful. People contemplating a big change in their lives need to hear all the aspects - not just pretty pictures.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:43 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,686,881 times
Thumbs up Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post
No, OB brings some much needed balance to these discussions. Just because someone isn't all rah-rah cheerleading, doesn't mean their posts aren't useful. People contemplating a big change in their lives need to hear all the aspects - not just pretty pictures.
I absolutely agree, Silvermouse. If you read my posts, and the posts of many others, you'll find both positive and negative feedback about the area. No place is perfect, I think we can all agree!

The Rolla resident in question, however, appears to post ONLY negative and appears (to me) to lie in wait for some optimistic adventurer to show themselves to pounce on the pixie dust with a fire hose of negativity and sarcasm! I've been around long enough to see other nay-sayers take all the fun out of this kind of discussion before. We've lost some of the most wonderful CD regulars because of one person with an axe to grind and too much time on their hands.

Forgive my frustration, please? OB has many wonderful qualities and is a great addition to this board! (Love ya, man...)

Last edited by Lake Junkie; 08-06-2009 at 07:58 AM..

Old 08-06-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post
I absolutely agree, Silvermouse. If you read my posts, and the posts of many others, you'll find both positive and negative feedback about the area. No place is perfect, I think we can all agree!

The Rolla resident in question, however, appears to post ONLY negative and appears (to me) to lie in wait for some optimistic adventurer to show themselves to pounce on the pixie dust with a fire hose of negativity and sarcasm! I've been around long enough to see other nay-sayers take all the fun out of this kind of discussion before. We've lost some of the most wonderful CD regulars because of one person with an axe to grind and too much time on their hands.

Forgive my frustration, please? OB has many wonderful qualities and is a great addition to this board! (Love ya, man...)
Perhaps, but when I first signed on city data, anyone that strayed from the cheerleaders party line were chastised pretty quickly. I'm sure many wonderful people were run off from that attitude too.

I like the balance of both ways because it is a wonderful state but it's not the Mayberry a person from another state sometimes expect. Also, as OB points out, Missourians are not standing out in their yards with open arms anxious for all these transplants to move here. Frankly I if I were to move to another state, I would appreciate hearing negatives too.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:55 AM

4,679 posts, read 10,640,085 times
As in all things, there are different perspectives. As seen in other threads, as in life, one person's dream (paradise) is another's Hades... if not immediately, potentially eventually it could be.

Likewise, there are also different desires. One person may want the rural feel of an area, but still want fast commuting to bigger city for shopping, entertainment, sports, etc., while another wants nothing to do with ticks & chiggers & such.

And yes, indeed, balance is great AND necessary - it helps those requesting knowledge to hear more flavours, more thoughts, more replies, from all sides of the potential new place. However, what I for one [speaking here as a mod, but even as a person/member] do not appreciate is when a reply is stereotyping others, or when the reply is more than just a tad rude. Being negative and sharing the pitfalls of an area is one thing, and welcomed, but in an honest non-defamatory non-insulting manner, esp. against others.

For those that may not remember or haven't read it at all, I refer you to the following material from the ToS for this forum:

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.

And yes, it is a mod's duty to uphold the above, while still allowing FRIENDLY and HELPFUL bantering... we are all human, and it is enjoyable and entertaining and fun to partake in such - but not at expense of others or via insults, direct or shaded they may be.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:50 AM

46 posts, read 106,566 times
Default Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We finally made it after cancelling two earlier trips due to my wife's surgeries. We arrived in Branson late last night and are ready to go look at houses!

First impressions from a Californian: It's green, green, green here; grass, trees, crops, people's lawns, you name it. The highways we traveled are just two lanes in every direction, most have a speed limit of 70 and most people observe it. Traffic doesn't seem to exist and the roadsides are clean, clean, clean. Trucks can also drive the full speed limit and truckers here love to dress-up their rigs with lots of exra lights in amber and red. They used to do that in California but naturally, there's now a law against it.

It was fairly flat until we headed south from Springfield and hit the hills of the Ozarks. Then it was like a roller coaster ride up and down the hills. Shortly we were in lake country -- Table Rock, Bull Shoals and Taneycomo, and then Branson. The entire way from Kansas City there was water; rivers, streams, branches, Truman Lake, Stockton Lake, ponds, etc.

A couple of things we noticed: They take seriously and preserve history here with museums of all sorts, halls of fame, historical parks and preservation; it's nice to see, as were all the tall flagpoles in front of houses proudly flying our country's flag; people thanking me for my service (noticed my cap), et al.

I think we're going to like it here A LOT! Lunch with Lake Junkie and the adventure begins!

So why did you choose to move to Mo from Ca? My boyfriend is from Texas and is ALWAYS trying to get me to move to Texas but I have no desire to leave Missouri!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormiEssence View Post
So why did you choose to move to Mo from Ca? My boyfriend is from Texas and is ALWAYS trying to get me to move to Texas but I have no desire to leave Missouri!
Despite having lived in CA for a while, Curmudgeon is at heart, a good ole boy. Add to that fact he already has a toga - it makes him really hard to beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area