U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 03:34 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,340,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
Welcome to Missouri! I'm a transplant from the east coast...I've never regretted coming here at all and it's been 2 years now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Congratulations on your new Missouri home. I wish you and your wife many happy and healthy years there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Hey ya soon-to-be-former Californian... welcome to MO, and congratulations on the new place
Will be looking forward to gazing at some photos herein...
And a tip of the hat to that lady of the lake
Many thanks to all for the warm welcome and wishes. A special thanks to Lake Junkie who is not only pleasant, competent and knowledgable but who also shares her friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Curmudgeon, I too couldn't be happier for you, and you're going to do absolutely great as one of the Show Me State's newest residents! Here's something from California you're leaving behind, in case you or anyone else is interested: Hot Air Blog Archive California: You owe us taxes on those IOUs

It's getting....kinda surreal out here, and Mrs. Northbayeric and I are going to make a few more home improvements in the coming months, and then make another attempt to sell it in the spring. God be willing, we'll mostly follow in Curmudgeon's footsteps, or if we don't relocate quite as far as Missouri, then we think it could be Oklahoma--we're eyeballing the Tulsa suburbs of Sapulpa and Sand Springs.

It's really looking like California's totally in the redline area on the Humpty Dumpty Meter. Barring direct divine intervention, it doesn't look like it can be put back together again. We thought that our sharply declining real estate prices (a 3-2 house now fetches about $250K to $275K) might make it worthwhile to try buying one of them and staying put. No, Curmudgeon's got the right idea, and we're going to try again next year as we did in 2008 when we tried selling our house and got no takers.

But enough about me! It's time to welcome and celebrate Curmudgeon's arrival there, and successful evacuation from the (Fools?) Golden State!
Might one say that California is circling the drain right about now? That's how we feel and we didn't want to go down with it.

Best of luck with your house and escape. The door will always be open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 10:44 PM

12,607 posts, read 14,617,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joetownmom View Post
Welcome.

It's green this year because we've had plenty of rain. Some years, Missouri is lush and green - sometimes not.
But compared to other places, it's definitely green. When we drove to Arizona, through New Mexico, we were never so glad to get back to Kansas/Missouri where we have trees and grass. We took it for granted until then. But I would definitely have thought California would be green.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But compared to other places, it's definitely green. When we drove to Arizona, through New Mexico, we were never so glad to get back to Kansas/Missouri where we have trees and grass. We took it for granted until then. But I would definitely have thought California would be green.
LOL! OzarksBoy was quick to point out to me that in the winter the leaves fall off the trees and things turn brown.

As far as we're concerned, that's the natural order of things and CA has it backwards -- brown in the summer and green in the winter.

It rained here yesterday!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:39 PM

2,130 posts, read 3,926,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Many thanks to all for the warm welcome and wishes. A special thanks to Lake Junkie who is not only pleasant, competent and knowledgable but who also shares her friends.
Lake Junkie has had my unqualified recommendation for many months now!

Quote:
Might one say that California is circling the drain right about now? That's how we feel and we didn't want to go down with it.
Best of luck with your house and escape. The door will always be open.
Thank you so much! If you're so inclined, Mrs. NBE and I could use your thoughts and prayers as we start getting ready at Attempt Number 2! The way things are going here, we might have to put Ozarksboy in charge of an emergency airlift operation for us out of here and back there!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:48 PM

90 posts, read 194,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Curmudgeon, I too couldn't be happier for you, and you're going to do absolutely great as one of the Show Me State's newest residents! Here's something from California you're leaving behind, in case you or anyone else is interested: Hot Air Blog Archive California: You owe us taxes on those IOUs

It's getting....kinda surreal out here, and Mrs. Northbayeric and I are going to make a few more home improvements in the coming months, and then make another attempt to sell it in the spring. God be willing, we'll mostly follow in Curmudgeon's footsteps, or if we don't relocate quite as far as Missouri, then we think it could be Oklahoma--we're eyeballing the Tulsa suburbs of Sapulpa and Sand Springs.

It's really looking like California's totally in the redline area on the Humpty Dumpty Meter. Barring direct divine intervention, it doesn't look like it can be put back together again. We thought that our sharply declining real estate prices (a 3-2 house now fetches about $250K to $275K) might make it worthwhile to try buying one of them and staying put. No, Curmudgeon's got the right idea, and we're going to try again next year as we did in 2008 when we tried selling our house and got no takers.

But enough about me! It's time to welcome and celebrate Curmudgeon's arrival there, and successful evacuation from the (Fools?) Golden State!

God Bless, I hope you can sell your house too. I tried to sell my house last March 2009 and got 2 looky-lous at $150,000. The foreclosed house down the street sold for $2000 less than I paid for mine 9 years ago. Exact same house, and with none of the improvements that I put into mine. Beware Missourians-never elect the politicians that have run the Golden State into the ground. Be on your guard!! Every PC, soft pedaled, bizarre but neccessary idea; every "compassionate" move, will cost you and your family dearly. It is precisely that thinking that has run California into a financial,moral, and idiotic morass. Stay the Show Me State!!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:33 AM

418 posts, read 1,030,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanielGirl View Post
Beware Missourians-never elect the politicians that have run the Golden State into the ground. Be on your guard!! Every PC, soft pedaled, bizarre but neccessary idea; every "compassionate" move, will cost you and your family dearly. It is precisely that thinking that has run California into a financial,moral, and idiotic morass. Stay the Show Me State!!
That was very well put! I think that's what makes native Missourians so nervous about (stereotypical) Californians. They bought into all these whack-job politicians and ideals but now don't want to live with their choices. Most of us don't want their PC craziness here.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermouse View Post
That was very well put! I think that's what makes native Missourians so nervous about (stereotypical) Californians. They bought into all these whack-job politicians and ideals but now don't want to live with their choices. Most of us don't want their PC craziness here.
Fear not. We won't infect MO with Califitus. We are not progressives by any stretch of the imagination and are equal opportunity despisers when it comes to politicians; especially the CA strain.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:42 PM

1,817 posts, read 5,769,157 times
Curmudgeon,
Are you having a house inspection done?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:53 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,173,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanielGirl View Post
Beware Missourians-never elect the politicians that have run the Golden State into the ground. Be on your guard!! Every PC, soft pedaled, bizarre but neccessary idea; every "compassionate" move, will cost you and your family dearly. It is precisely that thinking that has run California into a financial,moral, and idiotic morass. Stay the Show Me State!!
Spanielgirl, Missourians HAVEN'T elected (many) people like that. Californians HAVE, so you are preaching to the wrong folks.

SpanielGirl, would you join me in suggesting that the Californians who are living amongst us refrain from voting, involving themselves in our politics or even expressing their "progressive" ideas? They didn't do a very good job in their own state; we'd like them not to repeat that performance here.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:12 PM

15,296 posts, read 7,151,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Spanielgirl, Missourians HAVEN'T elected (many) people like that. Californians HAVE, so you are preaching to the wrong folks.
Don't forget that the Carnahan family (the ones talking about socialized medicine) got thier careers started in your neighborhood, not St. Louis or Kansas City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area