U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:13 PM

15,296 posts, read 7,151,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But compared to other places, it's definitely green. When we drove to Arizona, through New Mexico, we were never so glad to get back to Kansas/Missouri where we have trees and grass. We took it for granted until then. But I would definitely have thought California would be green.
I looked into the Phoenix area several years ago and spent a week out that way and liked it, but knew I would miss the greenery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 08:24 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,173,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Junkie View Post

The Rolla resident in question, however, appears to post ONLY negative and appears (to me) to lie in wait for some optimistic adventurer to show themselves to pounce on the pixie dust with a fire hose of negativity and sarcasm! I've been around long enough to see other nay-sayers take all the fun out of this kind of discussion before. We've lost some of the most wonderful CD regulars because of one person with an axe to grind and too much time on their hands.
Understand that any so-called negativity I blast on this forum is not directed at Missouri or the Ozarks; it is directed at people who move to small Missouri towns because they've heard the land is cheap and the life is simple. Then they can't figure out why they can't find a high-paying job in a town of 5,000 or 6,000. Or they can't figure out why a city of even 15,000 doesn't have a shopping mall. Or they think there are too many churches. Or there isn't enough culture. Or the radio stations play too much country music. Or the people are too conservative. Or they go do all their "serious shopping" in the city while the hometown merchants are struggling to survive (Rolla's Pine Street has a bunch of empty buildings again.)

I try to steer newcomers to one of the cities or to your neck of the Ozarks, Lake Junkie. Branson is a blight on the hills, in my opinion, so newcomers might as well go there. It's already ruined for the rest of us who enjoy the real Ozarks, and newcomers will like it better, anyway. Is that negative?

Small towns are not the place for most non-Missourians, because they find it just too funny that we small-towners figure culture embraces a lot of stuff, including bluegrass jam sessions, church work and church suppers, school concerts and plays, high school and small college football games. For their happiness, and ours, I recommend they steer clear of small Missouri towns without malls and Starbucks and live in the cities where they'll be happier. Is that negative?

I'm a little impatient with people who complain that there's no recreation because they can't find a decent-sized park. They have Mark Twain National Forest and the streams of the Ozarks, yet they can't have any fun because there's no park. They'd rather walk on closely mown grass rather than heading out to the woods to snap pictures of wildflowers or listen for birdcalls. I bet they don't know the difference between a dogwood or an oak tree, and they seem to have no interest. But I'm the negative one, because I suggest they ought to take a little more interest in the resources of the Ozarks instead of fretting about where they can get a latte.

The best thing you can do, I suppose, is just scroll on past any post with the heading "ozarksboy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Don't forget that the Carnahan family (the ones talking about socialized medicine) got thier careers started in your neighborhood, not St. Louis or Kansas City.
Yes, I'm ashamed to say that you are right. And Rolla is also the headquarters for Rednecks for Obama. Rolla is a very liberal town compared to the rest of outstate Missouri.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 08-12-2009 at 08:51 PM..

Old 08-12-2009, 10:02 PM

2,130 posts, read 3,926,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Spanielgirl, Missourians HAVEN'T elected (many) people like that. Californians HAVE, so you are preaching to the wrong folks.
Collectively they have, that is true. SpanielGirl, Bassman and I are badly outnumbered here.

Think about this, Ozarksboy. Picture Fidel Castro. Who in America is more opposed to Castro than anyone else? Answer: The Cuban-Americans who mainly live in Florida. Why? Because they and their older family members have seen first-hand what Castro has done to make Cuba the Devil's Island of the Caribbean.

And so it is with, I think, a growing number of Californians, as evidenced by the results of last May's special election out here. We didn't vote for the snake oil proposals so many of our unrepresenting representatives tried to shove down our faces. As I may have told you, I've lived here for the past 23 years, but my Missouri roots run very deep. I personally don't frequent Starbucks or Peet's Coffee or such places.

Quote:
SpanielGirl, would you join me in suggesting that the Californians who are living amongst us refrain from voting, involving themselves in our politics or even expressing their "progressive" ideas? They didn't do a very good job in their own state; we'd like them not to repeat that performance here.
I understand your concern, but most so-called "progressives" especially in the part of California I live in LOVE it in California and haughtily dismiss Missouri as "flyover country," backwards and full of Neanderthal Bible-thumpers who have a disdain for The Environment and the Government Creating Green Jobs! C'mon, OzarksBoy, let SpanielGirl in! She'll make a terrific Missouri asset. Whaddya say?

Old 08-12-2009, 11:22 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,640,085 times
MOD NOTE: Lets keep the thread more on track of welcoming the former-Californian OP to MO, and hearing more of his adventures as he & missus settle down and acclimate to Missouri... and less of the political, etc. thems and usins. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
MOD NOTE: Lets keep the thread more on track of welcoming the former-Californian OP to MO, and hearing more of his adventures as he & missus settle down and acclimate to Missouri... and less of the political, etc. thems and usins. Thanks.
Aw, now that's my fault--sorry about this! http://bestsmileys.com/foot_in_mouth/1.gif (broken link)**** Curmudgeon, I think you're going to be in for another 4 to 6 weeks of hot weather back there, but you'll be in for one heckuva treat once the leaves on the trees start changing color in October or thereabouts. If you get the chance to visit some state parks such as Ha Ha Tonka, Elephant Rocks, Taum Sauk Mountain, Meramec--shucks, they're all good!--you should really enjoy some great scenery and the best weather of the season.

****That's a size 12, 'case yer wonderin'....

Old 08-13-2009, 04:44 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,340,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
Curmudgeon,
Are you having a house inspection done?
Absolutely! Especially as there are no building codes here. We had it done yesterday and not only is the house in wonderful shape, it's extremely well built and sound. The garbage disposal needs replacing but that's it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
I try to steer newcomers to one of the cities or to your neck of the Ozarks, Lake Junkie. Branson is a blight on the hills, in my opinion, so newcomers might as well go there. It's already ruined for the rest of us who enjoy the real Ozarks, and newcomers will like it better, anyway. Is that negative?
Small towns are not the place for most non-Missourians, because they find it just too funny that we small-towners figure culture embraces a lot of stuff, including bluegrass jam sessions, church work and church suppers, school concerts and plays, high school and small college football games. For their happiness, and ours, I recommend they steer clear of small Missouri towns without malls and Starbucks and live in the cities where they'll be happier. Is that negative?
Well, OB, I understand your concerns. We're also not enthralled with Branson. Our house is on the shore of Table Rock Lake about 20 miles SW of Branson. The closest store is a stop-and-rob/gas station four miles away. We're in a community of 212 modest custom homes and there is NO gate. To shop for food and other necessities we'll have to drive a minimum of about 16 miles on two-lane, winding roads. The closest post office and the state line with Arkansas are nine miles south.

Kinda Ozarkian, dontcha think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
Aw, now that's my fault--sorry about this! Curmudgeon, I think you're going to be in for another 4 to 6 weeks of hot weather back there, but you'll be in for one heckuva treat once the leaves on the trees start changing color in October or thereabouts. If you get the chance to visit some state parks such as Ha Ha Tonka, Elephant Rocks, Taum Sauk Mountain, Meramec--shucks, they're all good!--you should really enjoy some great scenery and the best weather of the season.
Alas, we head back for California today. Mission accomplished within 48 hours of arrival and the house should close on Sept. 15. Gotta get back to arrange the move and we'll head back by car on the 10th or 11th. Can't wait.

We had a great rain three days ago that cooled things down quite nicely although the temperatures are climbing a bit now. We are so looking forward to Fall. This is all going to be a great ending for 2009 for us.

Still wishing you and Mrs. NBE all the best and a great house sale and move back "home!"

Next year in Rolla for the First Annual Gay Rights Parade with OB as the Grand Marshal! Be there!

Old 08-13-2009, 01:55 PM

246 posts, read 547,839 times
Yes the falls are just wonderful here, and last a long time
(compared to the mountains of NM, where fall is about
a day - LOL).

Old 08-13-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcol View Post
Yes the falls are just wonderful here, and last a long time
(compared to the mountains of NM, where fall is about
a day - LOL).
I've never been to New Mexico, except twice at the Albuquerque airport on my way back home from Florida. The climate there just whipsaws from summer to winter in the course of 24 hours or so? Dang....At least Missouri autumns go from early-to mid-October to about the first of December roughly. November can bring a lot of cold rainfall. It'll be interesting to see how Curmudgeon adjusts to the four distinct seasons.

Old 08-13-2009, 06:38 PM

246 posts, read 547,839 times
Albuquerque is pretty much the desert, we moved here
from Raton - northern New Mexico near the Colorado border.
We could get blizzards in October thru April, very little
rainfall, cool summers. Elevation is about 6,000 ft.
Our falls lasted about a week. You had to be quick with
those breathtaking mountain drives.
Fall here lasts for months (seems like). While I do not
enjoy raking and burning the leaves from 50 or so oaks,
I do enjoy the temps and the cool evenings.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:59 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,173,970 times
An old boy told me once that California is full of nothing but homosexuals and wife-swappers. Is that the kind of new crowd we're getting in the Ozarks? Judging by the kind of moral filth that state exports to our movie and television screens, I tend to believe it.

In another thread, someone bragged that Christian County is the fastest growing county in MO thanks to the influx of west coasters. It would be a shame if Christian county is overtaken by that ilk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area